Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a question for this board!
It's like asking an alcoholic "How about another drink?"
Asking a cop "Another Krispy Kreme?"
Asking Bill Clinton "Need an intern?"
Come on what do you expect?
We say yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now how do you sell the idea to your wife? That's a real question.

OP
OP
D

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe 117,
I like lots of vintage racers, but I would probably lean towards cars like old: Vettes, Mustangs,Jag XKE, Sunbeam Tigers, Bug Eyed Sprites, or Cobras. I would definitely want something with a history and provenance. I know it would be cheaper to buy one of these now and race it. Problem is I have been bit by the serpent and there's venom in my veins. I also think there is no better instruction to be had than that given at Viper Days. Thanks to all who have replied. I'm going to have dinner with Bobby Archer and try to get enough answers from him to make up my mind.
Doc

Joe Bliss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi DOC!
It was a pleasure meeting you at Motor Sports Ranch. I think you may want to add that you discovered a severe pull under hard braking. Fortunately you could turn to some of the most knowledgeable Viper people on the planet (ie Archers) and got the problem fixed. Not the type of thing you want to experience on the street during a panic situation. I believe you and your car are MUCH safer today than before the Viper Days experience.

Now for my $.00002...............
If you are truly hooked and its an affordable option, buy a prepped GT-1 car. There are a lot of excellent cars available and you can not duplicate their value/safety without spending significantly more on your car.

Please send me a private e-mail and we can talk further.

BTW: I feel much safer pushing it on the track with you around. Your presence will drop my times a couple seconds!
(I think you understand.)
Good Luck,
Joe Bliss

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Doc,

Just an observation for you. Three of the very competitive drivers that have responded to your post - Frank Parise, Bernie Katz, and Joe Bliss have all been through the expensive exercise of converting a street ride into a track machine. They are all recommending that the purchase of an existing GT-1 car is the way to go because it would have been through significant development in terms of performance, and is always heavily discounted over the cost of the individual upgraded parts included. And the development of a fast car is not only about adding parts, but also about removing weight and balancing the chassis.

Another advantage is that a well developed GT-1 car should have all the extra bracing and welds in the key areas to support the higher cornering forces that the car will experience. Transmission and differential coolers also help in terms of reliability - usually standard equipment on a well prepped car.

I agree completely with the other posts:

First and best choice: buy a Comp Coupe.

Second and more affordable: buy an existing race prepped GT-1.

Third: Convert a car yourself and spend much time and money trying to make it competitive at the same time when you need all of your focus to be on improving your driving skills.

You're making the right choice by seeking Bobby Archer's advice. He knows far more than any of us and is always willing to share his wisdom.

Again, best of luck!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 99 GTS that I use mostly as a street car, although I do the occasional track day including a Viper Days now and then.

I like having a separate track car, and have a modified Z28 with a roll bar, racing seat, harnesses, race tires etc that I run in SCCA Solo One events (open track time trials -not autocross). Sure, the Viper's faster, but it's just too expensive for me to convert to a race car. The Z28 is something I'm willing to drive as hard as I want and as often and as I want. If I crash it, I can live through it financially. I'm not prepared to make that level of committment with the Viper, yet....

I need another couple of summers 'training' on the Z28 before I let loose in the Viper.

Jim

OP
OP
D

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone,
Feel free to email or PM me if you know of a good deal on a track car. The search is on!
Doc

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess there is at least one other option. Mod the car with the emphasis on safety equipment, run street tires, and stay in Super Stock and T1. My pockets are not as deep as ..............

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

It does all boil down to how much one is willing to spend, doesn't it? Family, kid's college education, retirement, Viper, vacation ..... decisions, decisions.

Newt

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, Tom, I think you have things a little screwed up.

The sequence should be: Tom, Family, retirement, Viper, Kids College.

My kids know already that they'd better try for a scholarship or be prepared to take out a loan. I did. Worked for me.

Hey, my kids are going to get my house nwhen I drop dead, isn't that enough?

Andrew

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang