Should I lower my car or not?

Baddasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just got the 19" Forgeline VR1 wheels for my 99 RT/10 and I'm thinking about lowering my car. What are some of your experiences (pro's and con's)lowering your car? How are the Eibach Pro Springs? I'm worried that the car will bottom out at highway speeds. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have the eibachs and i dont like them. my car is extremely bouncy now, and rides even rougher. now, as far as bottoming out,i havent once! i have a fairly steep pitch at the beginning of my driveway and it hasnt caused me problems yet. not saying im not close, but as long as you are careful, you will be fine. i have to admit,it looks awesome, i will post pics of my car this afternoon.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you have pics of the tire/fender gap? i thought the forgelines filled up the space fairly well! i have HREs and it was really evident that i needed the springs.....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone else lowered their car with Eibachs have an opinion regarding how it drives/rides after the change?

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is my opinion not good enough? or did i not say what you wanted to hear? granted i am the guy with 8 large posts....

Tommy K

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love my car with the Eibachs. Looks 1000 times better...nice even gap all the way around with 17's. ViperMed's Car has 19's and lowered. Might want his input. Has even less gap, looks road-racerish! Lower the profile..the harder the ride, but it makes up for it in handling. Consider ACR shocks...turn em up a notch and eliminate the bounce. My .02 Cents!

Backdoc7

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the Eibach Pro's on my car too. IMHO, the car rides and handles great. I don't feel like it's at all bouncy. The look of the car is without question improved. I have 18" BBS's on my car, and think with 19's on the back, it would even look better. Not sure how close you will be on the front with 19's and lowered. I have never bottomed out. The suspension is somewhat stiff, but not harsh.... but, isn't it supposed to be somewhat stiff?? Nobody has ever complained that the ride was harsh... not one person. Get them! Bill :Flag:

BYT U L8R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the ride is much better. This is a RACE car... Not a touring car. But to each their own. I like to "feel" the road.

I think the handling has improved a little bit, as well.

It looks much better, too.

Be sure to get a new alignment if you do get them.

VIPERCANE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have Eibachs on my car, just got them......with the HRE's, they have made the car look so much better, and the ride is much better too.........no bounce etc........a little bit stiffer but well worth it overall..........GET THEM!!!!
The handling seems to be better too, at least Larry Macedo and I both agreed on this after he installed them.

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have installed Carrera coil overs. I first took a ride height measurement and lowered as per the suggestions given on this site. We started with a base spring/shock rate and soon I'll be changing their value. I want a stiffer spring in the rear and more compression in the shocks all around. They have infinite ride height adjustment. Shock valving can be changed fairly easily. The springs can be removed in about ten minutes per corner (once the wheel in off), using the supplied spanner wrench. Shock housing is aluminum, and the springs are chromed. Carrera is in Georgia--770-451-8811. Oh, yea, you'll love the price! John

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TTBADBOY just posted three pics a few days ago of his GTS that was lowered with Eibach springs. Looks fantastic! I did a search on here, but can't find the thread/pics. Maybe he'll read this thread, and post the pics again. In his post, he said he has not had any problems with wheels rubbing. The difference is like night and day. A must do. Do it, dude! I'm going to do it. Let's all have done with it. LOL
You must be registered for see images

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I lowered my car and in my opinion, I think the car looks waaay better. I have not bottomed out in my car. People that have seen my car in person will back up how my car looks and sits. People that say that the viper will bottom out probobly never really had lowered cars because you do have to be a bit more careful driving. You can't go full head on with potholes or speed bumps...even if you did it with a normal raised car..that is plain umm..you know.

Here is one side by side. Mine is lowered while the other is stock.

OP
OP
B

Baddasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all your responses..I really appreciate it. I think i'm gonna do it...

Snake Bitten what settings did you use for the koni's?

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had Archer Racing put revalued Koni's along with the Eibach springs, and it is a great match, it worked great on the track at Thunder Hill and worked great on the drive home over some rough spots on CA Highway 70.

pjb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
a -> DO IT!! i remember talking to you about this issue a while back concerning lowering my gen I. ended up getting the eibachs and love it. wait till you see the car now with the springs...very aggressive looking, rides somewhat close to stock (albeit noticeably stiffer), but not "slammed" in the weeds either (only 1" all around). granted youve got to take it easy on speed bumps/driveways,
but you do so anyway, right? we can get together this weekend if you want to go for a spin to judge for yourself if you like the ride quality with the
eibachs (you will). ive got 18's + springs and wish i had done it sooner! i have NO doubt the 19" Forgelines will look awesome in combination with the springs. later.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i put the eibochs on and not only do they look great i dont notice a bit of fault with them in regard to performance. i am thinking about tightening up the shocks a turn and some like a previous thread suggested to see how much better the handling will be for the track. i also did the cheap energy suspension polyeurethane upgrades so perhaps thats helped a bit too with the total package (and the alignment is set at a degree off per wheel also)

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
snake. im considering doing the koni press like joel did, a turn and a quarter right? how did it match up with the springs, a good combo?

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TTBADBOY posted three pics a few days ago of his GTS that was lowered with Eibach springs, and 19" wheels. Here are the pics I was talking about....

BEFORE

AFTER I

AFTER II

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So said rdustman

snake. im considering doing the koni press like joel did, a turn and a quarter right? how did it match up with the springs, a good combo?

DO IT!!! Night and Day diff...seems to ride the same, but now its on RAILS!!! Do it RIGHT NOW!!! I love it!!!

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then is an alignment needed for just adjusting the Koni's?

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TTBADBOY posted three pics a few days ago of his GTS that was lowered with Eibach springs, and 19" wheels. Here are the pics I was talking about....

And I thought my BBS ACR wheels looked good :smirk:

TTBADBOY those wheels are awesome...its a good thing I am car poor so I can't buy them too. :D

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ill try to get to it today. i got some cabinetwork to do that the old lady wants done asap (ive been puttin it off for weeks with viper upgrade excuses, so its time to pay up) and if i can, ill get to the shocks tonight. how long does it take approximately for each shock complete job