SHREDDED BELT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11top

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone else has had this problem:
After having my new 2003 Viper less than 2 months and 650 miles, the belt that powers the cooling system and alternator shredded and came off my car. Fortunately, I did pull over quickly and apparently only lost about 1/3 of my engine coolant. I do find it curious that according to my Dodge dealer, there were only 7 of these belts in stock! That tends to make one wonder how many others have had this same problem. I am NOT a happy camper after spending approximately $80,000 for a "hand-built" car, to have it break down with only 650 miles on the odometer!

Reaction score
When I was selling cars, I delivered a brand new truck to a customer. Down two blocks, on the expressway, tranny dies. He calls, we sort it out. It really SUCKED big time. The bottom line is that stuff happens...it is all in how it is handled. I went and picked him up in my truck, had a fresh loaner truck waiting with a full tank and dealer plates. We offered him to choose another truck on the lot, he opted to stay put. We fixed his truck, he had the loaner the whole time, and all was right.

Sorry to hear about losing the belt!! Let us know how it goes from here on out.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious to know if anyone else has had this problem:
After having my new 2003 Viper less than 2 months and 650 miles, the belt that powers the cooling system and alternator shredded and came off my car. Fortunately, I did pull over quickly and apparently only lost about 1/3 of my engine coolant. I do find it curious that according to my Dodge dealer, there were only 7 of these belts in stock! That tends to make one wonder how many others have had this same problem. I am NOT a happy camper after spending approximately $80,000 for a "hand-built" car, to have it break down with only 650 miles on the odometer!

Stuff happens.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do find it curious that according to my Dodge dealer, there were only 7 of these belts in stock!

I'm betting Dodge designed the '03 to take a belt used on other Dodges, so it would be in stock :) I shredded one on my '95, after doing a little research I figured I just got a belt that was manufatured a little short. When I replaced it I made sure it had the correct tension, the previous one was certainly way to tight, I just did not realize it when I putit on. I have not had any troubles since.

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember Jerry (Sir Fang)posted about his belt rubbing on a cooling hose. He had some pictures. I wonder if this is related to the same problem. You might search for his post and check.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
...I'm still wondering about the RECALL...and if cooling module check ball migrated, blew PS pump, bound pullley, shredded belt...HOPE it is a simpler problem.

fred

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the cooling module check ball problem apply to the 04 Viper also??

OP
OP

11top

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, Jerry's post was about his belt cutting into his hose. As a matter of fact, I had remembered reading his post and I immediately re-read it. I then checked my hoses and none seemed to be close enough to have caused the problem. The Dodge mechanic that looked at my car said he thought maybe the top "wheel" was not tightened properly at the factory. On the other hand, this wheel may have become loosened by the belt shredding.
After the belt was reinstalled, the service department could see nothing out of alignment or any other problem.
Also, one of the replying posts wondered if there were generic belts that might fit, but the supply store I visited said they couldn't order a belt to fit my Viper.
I know "stuff happens," but it's still unsettling to buy a very expensive "handmade" car and have a problem in the first 1000 miles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine