Side by side SRT coupe & ZO6... (pic)

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is interesting, from another forum:

"Again, I'm not questioning the awesomeness of the C6 let alone the Z06 as there's easily no car anywhere near its pricerange that can touch it in factory performance or potential.
All I'm saying is that I'm a bit at odds with a Z06 beating a car like the McLaren F1. The McLaren has 141 More HP, same torque and weighs anywhere between 400 and 700Lbs less than the Z06. The F1, with a de-rated engine and relatively unmolested chassis (unlike the C6 vs. the C6R) won LeMans in 1997.
I'm not saying it's impossible for a heavier, less powerful front engined car to beat the extremely focused F1, just that it seems odd and I'm surprised more people here are just accepting it as the truth. "
source

Ive been correcting posts like this about the Mclaren F1 for years on severel forums....People keep forgetting there are two Mclaren F1's....The unadulterated European version and the Ameritech version which is what R&T tested and got those awful numbers from...That 11.6 @ 125 was made possible by the certification process...It had to meet US crashworthiness, emissions etc which meant more weight added and less power if I remember correctly...The car was near or over 3000lbs if memory serves....The unadulterated Mclaren F1[Euro version]ran a best of 10.9 @ 141 and toped out at 241mph. Can you imagine the time this car would run if it were shod with todays tire compounds?..The Ameritech toped out at I believe 217hp...

Its the same thing but backwards with the Viper going to Europe...Its down on power and not as fast as the American version..***** when people think the Euro Vipers are representative of All Vipers..Same thing with the Mclaren F1...A real Mclaren would destroy any car out now with few exceptions, the Konigsegg and Veyron being the few I can think of.

SurfnSun

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Side by side SRT coupe & ZO6... (pic)

Some of you guys really have you heads stuck in the sand. Its almost pathetic. It was a stock Z06 that went 7:42 from the lips of Dave Hill. As of right now there is NO Blue Devil...maybe a test car or two. And who ever called the Z06 a modded car, needs to grow up...that would be like us Vette guys calling the Viper modded b/c it has a V-10 instead of a V-8. Give me a break.

The fact is the new Z06 is a great car that will out perform current Vipers. Big deal...the Vette guys have been dealing with that for a while.

Its time for Dodge to put up or shut up.

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hate Vettes but geez, this thread is pathetic and many are in denial. Give credit where credit is do. When comparing performance, GM has outdone DC and the Viper is no longer the OBVIOUS king of the hill.

Some of the arguments on here are equally dishearting. "My car has better brakes" "My car gets more looks" -- I can see it now after getting my ass smoked by a Z06; "Wow, your ZO6 kicked my ass, but my Lambo gets more looks and has better brakes". With all that said, I still rather own a Viper and/or a Lambo.

Unfortunately, the lines of distinction are GONE. Stock vs Stock, the Z06 is faster and DC needs to step up which at this point, it doesn't look they are anytime soon. This turns the Viper from the HUNTER, into the HUNTED.

Sad thing is, what happens when you tack on a few mods for the Z06?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

no, see you got it all wrong dude. the sad thing for the vette and your lambo is what happens to your lambo when i mod my viper? and i am in the process of doing just that :D

ViperCorp

Enthusiast
Reaction score

sad thing for the vette and your lambo is what happens to your lambo when i mod my viper?

Who cares! My car gets more looks and golly gee, it has better brakes. Sound familiar? :D

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another confirmation that the new Z ran the Ring at 7:42.99

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103066

Guess they made a mistake claiming it was the Blue Devil in their July issue. no?

Well, who ya gonna believe, Motor Trend thought it was the Z06 and Road and Track, AutoWeek and CORVETTE Magazine said it was the Blue Devil.

Actually, the opposite is true. Motor Trend SAID it was the Z06 and Road and Track and Autoweek THOUGHT it was the Blue Devil based entirely on what some eyewitnesses were said to have heard. Since you are a Viper owner I am surprised that you would buy into what someone heard as when the Viper was introduced, and for reasons now well understood, it sounded to the uninformed ear as if it only had 5 cylinders. On the C6 Z06, to pass increasingly stringent drive-by noise regulations, GM introduced a bi-modal muffler featuring a vacuum-actuated outlet valve which controls exhaust noise during low load operation but opens fully at 3,500 rpm for maximum power. The operation of this bi-modal muffler system causes the car’s exhaust note to change significantly when under power such that it can easily be mistaken for something else.

But let’s put aside these facts for one second. I’m curious about something; in the Corvette Magazine quote you referenced earlier on this thread it was noted that GM continued to deny the very existence of the "Blue Devil." Despite this you believe they would quote you its exact Nurburgring lap times to two decimal places? Well yes, of course. And for the next trick the Air Force will quote you the exact Mach speed of the purported Aurora spy plane that they continue to deny exists as a replacement for the SR-71.

you guys who believe a STOCK 505hp car can lap the ring that fast are pretty naive.

Really? :rolleyes: OK, well, be a sport and let Walter Rorhl and Porsche know just how naïve they are as their stock 456hp 996 GT2 lapped the ring in 7:46, four seconds off the time of the lighter and more powerful 505hp Z06. Be sure to provide Porsche with technical details of just how you have calculated that a stock 505hp car cannot do what they came very close to doing with 49 fewer horses in a heavier car with narrower tires and worse aero. If you would be so kind as to share the wisdom of your technical analysis with the rest of us we would appreciate it. In light of the known facts of the 996 GT2, I for one would be quite interested in seeing exactly how you arrived at your conclusion.
The only naiveté here is those who think sheer horsepower is the solution to great track times. BTW, don't go to Janmagnussen.com. Trust me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your first point....Motor Trend ASSUMED it was the Z06. Corvette magazine, Road and Track and Autoweek (3 to 1 by the way) ANALYZED it as the Blue Devil.

Your second point......What was your second point? That you know a lot about the muffler system? Anything you know the magazines know also, and they analyzed what it was based on their knowledge, which body of knowledge is probably somewhat larger than yours.

Your third point.... Regarding their admission of the existance of the Blue Devil. They now admit it exists, and I don't read the Vette quote that way. And how else could they be denying it wasn't the blue devil?

Your fourth point....Regarding the GT2. That cars time was EXACTLY the reaon I made the comment about the lap time. I will now ammend the comment for clarity.

"Anyone who believes a stock, FRONT ENGINE, MASS PRODUCED CAR, SELLING FOR UNDER 75K CAN LAP WITHIN 4 SECONDS OF A FULLY PREPARED MID ENGINE RACE CAR COSTING 500K IS NAIVE"

Your last point.... I went to the web site, I can read it, can you?

From your knowledge of the car it is clear you researched it and probably have one on order. You would love to believe it could be that fast. The actual PRODUCTION car has never turned a wheel in a test. The nonsense about the Ring is just that...PR nonsense, two weeks testing tires, you believe it ran with the stock tires? Why test? The race team and the driver from the winning Le Mans effort two weeks before. And 3 out of 4 magazines say it was the Blue Devil... with the bible....Corvette magazine saying it just could not be a stock Z06 based on the lap times. Keep believing what you want but you've got what I call Bow Tie myopia.
:cool:

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What tires did they use for their 7:42.99? The stock
GY runflats or something else? Maybe I'll get a set.
But the way, I don't think that writer knows anything
about "going vertical" in an F-16. If he would like to
stop by I could make him loose his lunch.

Herc :usa:

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything was stock, except for a racing seat to hold Jan Magnuson in more firmly. Any adjustments made to the z06 suspension was applied to the production version.

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still can't find which tires they used at the Ring, I am thinking of swaping
mine and would like to know. I will look through some more write ups.
If you know could you post it or pm me.

Herc :usa: