Side sill paint question

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So now that winter is here I will be doing some mods to the Viper. My first mod will be too ditch my exhaust for a Corsa system. My question would you guys paint your side sills when you remove them. My car has 20k on it and the sills have some gravel damage.

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my car had only 2,000 miles on it when i did my exhaust and it has some chips and they drive me crazy!!! but im not going to have them painted unless it gets really noticeable. noone knows there there except me or if you lay on the graound and look at them

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good post...I'm considering the same thing this winter for my '08. I've got a couple of family members who work at a body shop and I was considering asking them what other options/products are out there in terms of protective coating for the underside of the sill itself. A repaint just seems like a band-aid fix to me and I've just never had good luck with any clear bra installation at the front lower corner of side sills. I remember a few months back someone on here was talking about putting some side sill protective guards into production...anyone know if that idea ever took off??? What about some other type of product out there that might provide better protection than paint? I've been thinking that on my '08 SSG w/black stripes I could probably get away with some type of black, dare I say, "undercoating" or rubberized type of product on the underside of the sill which would extend slightly up the front corner to prevent the chips we all get there. In my mind anyway, if done correctly it would be largely unnoticeable from a side view but might give better protection than paint. Anyone already tried something like this?

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure why you have had bad luck with clear bra installs. I have installed well over 100+ kits on Vipers and the rocker panel kit is a great idea if you want to keep it looking new. We have designed one that wraps all the way under to the bolt pattern... so the entire side sill is one piece.

Send me a PM and I will be happy to talk to you about it. On my 04 Viper I drove 20,000 miles without a single chip on the car... including the rocker panels.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man, I wish you were up here in Illinois. I would paint my side sills and front facia and let you install your kit. Without a clear bra the side sills will just get chipped again and that is why I have not painted mine yet.

Not sure why you have had bad luck

with clear bra installs. I have installed well over 100+ kits on Vipers and the rocker panel kit is a great idea if you want to keep it looking new. We have designed one that wraps all the way under to the bolt pattern... so the entire side sill is one piece.

Send me a PM and I will be happy to talk to you about it. On my 04 Viper I drove 20,000 miles without a single chip on the car... including the rocker panels.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you drive it a lot I wouldn't worry about it. My car looks brand new until it goes on a lift. LOL Spent the money on lowering the car. Makes rock chipped side sills even less noticeable. Point is that you and your mech. are the only peope who will see the chips.

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took off sills last winter and had repainted. Since I wasnt driving in dead of winter anyway I let sit for a month to let paint cure well and then had entire sill clearbrad. Its easier for installer to do a pristine job if you take sills to him instead of trying to apply on the car. He applied ventureshield over entire sill all the way underneath to and around bolt pattern. Since underside takes a beating with road debris, he put an 2 ply on this section by using a 6" wide strip on the underside of extra thick spec order venturshield. Its not useful on top viewable sections because its so thick and looks tacky, but on the lower 6" underside its nondetectable and extremely durable. Once it gets torn up after years of use or whenever, you can just peel off and be left with regular clearbra underneath or reapply a new strip. Whatever you want. I just hit it with glass gleaner every now and then and its looks showroom.

Mike 123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend installing the clear bar to your car or you will be debating this same thing in a year or two. The advancements in the clear bar film over the last couple of years has improved dramatically. I am not only saying these items because I have a company that installs the clear bras but I have seen firsthand how this stuff can save the paint on your cars. Please feel free to look at my website for more information on how installing paint protection film on your car can preserve the look of your car.

Home - Premier Paint Protection - Paint Protection Film near Milwaukee and Chicago

New owner of 2008 Viper (still in transit)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte