Side Sill Question

WildWing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted on the alley to so sorry to be redundant..

I have a white mamba and my clear bra didn't completely stop the brutal sandblasting that my rockers took over the last year plus. I removed the panels and have a few questions.

1) Is there any special paint I should request to repaint the sills being that they see high heat temps? The inside of the sills have some sort of black coating that looked to be flaking off, anything special I should request here?

2) Has anyone had experience repainting the side sills and if so how are they holding up?

3) The heat shield fell out of the sill when I removed it and I assume it just sits in there?

I emailed Roe because when I purchased the mopar exhaust I also purchased the wrap for the exhaust. When I removed everything yesterday I noticed that it was wet and tearing pretty easy. I wonder if I should pull it off and forget it or have Roe replace it.

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have seen this problem a hundred times and solved it. Check out my web site for complete imformation on how to deal with the heat issue. The heat shield is glued to the side sill and can be epoxyed to it. The best solution to the samd blasting is to get the bottom of the side sill "rock guard or chip guard" in the color of your car. Any good body shop can do this for you.

Robbie
http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

OP
OP
W

WildWing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Robbie.

How much for the insulators for the side sills? I don't need the entire kit because I already have the Roe wrap around the exhaust. I would just need the sill deal.

Thx,

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The material comes in a roll and you would need to cut it and glue it to the underside of your floor mats. Then you cut and glue the non slip matting to the bottom of the fiol on the mats. Next, The 2 that fit between the inside side sill carpet and the side sill itself are cut to 7-1/2" wide X 29-1/2 long. The material cuts with sissors. Included in the kit is the insulation, non slip rubber matting, and adhesive. The price is $249.95 including shipping. If you wrap the complete exhayst system with the copper wrap from the complete kit and line the side sills you can rest your handTinside and outside the side sills after a long hot run. Rhis copper wrap in not the same as what you are using. I can sell you the complete kit at a 10% discount for $494.95 including shipping.

OP
OP
W

WildWing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience having the panels painted off of the car? My thought was that the bodyshop could match one against the other and it would keep me from having to take the car in etc. but I also want the white to match.

BT

slither

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wildwing - I have a white mamba as well, I had to take off the passenger side panel to repaint since I installed the Mopar exhaust and the tip moved backwards too far during some "spirited" driving and burned off some of the black paint in the exhaust surround. I noticed the "brutal sandblasting" (lol - mine wasn't that bad) on the underside behind the front wheel as well so I had them repaint the whole thing. My body guy just asked what year/model/color viper I had and 3 days later - good as new. He knew what type of paint to use on the aluminum part of the side panel, I've driven it a couple of thousand miles since the repaint and have not had any problems with discoloration due to heat. It matches perfectly and I will probably have the drivers side done pretty soon. I hate the chips as well but if you drive it it's going to happen - I'll just take them in and get them repainted when they get bad again. When I put in the Mopar exhaust I wrapped the pipes and mufflers with copper Thermo-Tec header wrap, then covered the whole thing with the Roe blanket insulation. When I pulled off the panel the insulation was fine but I don't drive it in the rain.

OP
OP
W

WildWing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Slither,

Thanks man..

I had to go back up to my post to see the "brutal sandblasting" comment. I admit that was lame, I have a newborn and the lack of sleep must be turning me into a pansy.

Thanks again,

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine