Sketchy freeway driving

nismoflip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen 1 that I’ve owned for 3 years has always been sketchy driving on the freeway. Seems to do okay on surface streets. It’s hard to describe other than it seems like the car wants to track with the ruts on the freeway and the steering wheel feels damped and vague (not connected). I’ve got new Bc coilovers, solid aluminum steering rack bushings, new wheels and tires. Before the above new parts, same thing. Felt skecthy on freeway. Car has 50k miles on it. Factory rubber bushings and I noticed the endlink boots are toast. Don’t know how to source new boots. Going to bring to viper tech soon. Just wondering if I can take a look myself.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would reccommend you buy and install some new inner tie rods. Same part number all around. Depending on what your ride heights are, you may need to bump-steer the car and bring those curves into spec. Unless you own, or have access to the caster inclinometers, I can almost GUARANTEE that your back end is not anywhere near spec of -6 degrees caster on both sides. Ballasting per the Service Manual and retorquing all suspension bushings will make a HUGE difference in handling.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rebuilt my Gen 3/4 end links with torn boots - used these polyurethane replacement boots: https://www.ebay.com/itm/221486557923

Went from this:

You must be registered for see images attach

To this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Those were the rears...did the same with the fronts, minus stripping and repainting.

If someone can verify the Gen 1s will take a similar size boot, those may work. That same distributor offers many different sizes...that one just happens to be perfect for the later Gen Viper links.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Tracking with ruts on the freeway is pretty much par for the course with any Viper. The wide tires have a lot to do with that from what I understand, but the vague steering does sound like an issue. Alignments can do a lot to make a car feel different as well. Doesn't take much to make a car feel darty or lazy. I would assume you've had it checked since you did all the work replacing stuff, but might be something to look into.

OP
OP
N

nismoflip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks all. I’ve ordered the inner tie rods and will be looking to get those endlink boots replaced. And of course the wheel alignment. Will post back on results.

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know my Gen 1 was very darty on the highway especially at higher speeds. Seemed very unstable. Put a rear spoiler and front splitter on the car and was a totally different car at speeds, very stable.

InTheZoneAC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get each wheel off the ground. Grab each at 3 and 9, then shake side to side to feel for any play or clicking sound. If there is any, replace them.
This 100% + proper alignment, proper tire pressure + no uneven wear on tires. I would also avoid polyurethane suspension components and stick to rubber or hardened rubber

OP
OP
N

nismoflip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an update on this. One of the inner tie rods was toast. Bellows was torn, gunk what looked like metal shavings mixed with grease and dirt was all over ball, and tons of play. Not so much the other side but replaced anyways of course. Took it to Viper shop for alignment. Everything all good now. Much more confident driving at high speeds.

While I was at it, did IPSCO short shifter and bushing, new transmission mount, as well as 3.54 gears. Such a beast.

Many thanks for above info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper