Skip-Shift Question - Rehashed

MJBComp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK folks i've read and read and read about disconnecting the Skip-Shift solenoid (assuming you don't want to purchase the plug-in).. Will the 'Engine' light stay on or will it stay 'Off'?

My understanding is if you disconnect the solenoid the only thing you will notice is the 'arrow' light on the dash will continue to function normally and you can now switch into second gear when you d*mn well please.

But as far as the 'Engine' light or 'Service' light ...that will not light up? Yes? No?

viperdoctor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can only confirm (from experience) that the check engine light turns on and stays on for 2001 Vipers...And then you have to go to a dealer or spend $300 on a scan tool because none of the other techniques to turn off the light work for (at least) this year...

I can't speak for any other years...

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Summit Racing sells the skip shift eliminator, pt. no. JET-61610 for $29.69. direct plug-in Call 800-230-3030.

They may tell you the part is only for GM cars and not a Viper.
MANY, Viper owners, including myself, have this part from JET and it works just fine. The yellow arrow will still go on and off, but there will not be any gear lock out, forced skip shift, or SES light.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the '96 (RT/10) only the arrow still works, and like you said you can shift into 2nd "when you d*mn well please". NO engine or Check Engine light. Just follow the Illustrated Instructions, and disconnect the darn thing.
Good luck.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
on my 1998 and 1994 Viper I have, I disconnected the skip shift...my check engine light never came on. Just the arrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine