SL65 vs SRT-10

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How would you compare driving an SL65 AMG to driving the SRT-10? Any suggestions on do's and don'ts with either car they seem like totally different animals. Can't decide which to keep and which to let go.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Call me crazy but it seems you would be the best judge of that question.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I mean that's really a simple answer to your question. Not to knock the Viper down but the SL65 will always hold it's value.The SL is quicker also in the 1/4 mile so you know what to do now.But having that C5 and keeping it?? Whats that all about

OP
OP
J

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C5 LG coilovers Baer/Alcon 427ci C5R blows the other two off the road trust me!

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Mod the Viper to the level of the vette and it will blow the other two off the road. Trust me!

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
C5 LG coilovers Baer/Alcon 427ci C5R blows the other two off the road trust me!

How is that possible, a Viper losing to a Vette?? :confused:

Just kidding, it reminded me of a comment that a Viper owner made stating no Viper will ever beat beat any Vette modded or not. :laugh:

Sweet group of rides you have there bet it's tough deciding what to drive, :2tu:

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't driven the 65, but if it has the same ride as the SL 500, then I think it would be far more interesting to drive the Viper as opposed to the Merc. I would keep the Viper. Having said that, unless you run in both Corvette and Viper social groups, it seems that the Vette and Viper are a bit redundant. I liked my C5s, but the Viper is always interesting to drive, and always requires being alert and involved with the driving. When I want to relax, I go completely the other way, with my new Range Rover Sport, with an automatic. That way there are very different capabilities anwered by the cars in the garage.
Just my opinion.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't driven the 65, but if it has the same ride as the SL 500, then I think it would be far more interesting to drive the Viper as opposed to the Merc. I would keep the Viper. Having said that, unless you run in both Corvette and Viper social groups, it seems that the Vette and Viper are a bit redundant. I liked my C5s, but the Viper is always interesting to drive, and always requires being alert and involved with the driving. When I want to relax, I go completely the other way, with my new Range Rover Sport, with an automatic. That way there are very different capabilities anwered by the cars in the garage.
Just my opinion.

The SL500 is 300hp V8

The SL65 605hp/740tq V12

Two differentr animals, in fact I think they ran one against a SRT Vert in Mototr Trend and even though it's much heaver it was faster in the 1/4.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thought is that if the SL65 is as "refined" a ride as the SL500, then it is too refined to have the type of fun you can have in the Viper. I see the C5s in the same light, much more refined. I like the roughness, and demanding nature of the Viper. Horsepower, on the street, has only just so much effectiveness.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out why he is asking us????
I can tell you the differences between my srt and my E250 work van if that helps

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extreme wealth and indecisive? The two generally don't go together. Isn't the SL65 around $180,000?

More like $195K.

I am fortunate to own both as well. The SL65 is smooth, quiet, refined and very fast. I would characterize my '06 FE Coupe as raw, noisy, much better handling and waaaay more fun. The Benz is a great date night car, the snake is an awesome toy when you feel like tearin' it up. Different strokes...love 'em both.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HP aside, you would never put the SL on the track, so unless you're stuck in traffic, or running to the opera, Viper's the way to go. Worried about HP? Ask DLM or any aftermarket tuner to bolt on a SC for a few bills. Now you're talking fun. Never driven a SC car?? You have NO idea what you're missing out on. For real.

I'd loose the Vette, unless there's some sentimental value to it. If not, it'll make for a boring ride.

The SL65 is a really nice ride, but boring albeit after the first 2000 miles. Can't change gears, some understeer, brakes don't compare to the Viper's, and way too heavy.

Also sounds like you've never been on the track. And if I'm correct, you need to get on one and learn how to drive the Viper. The car was meant for the track, not grocery gettin' or Sunday morning drives to nowhere. You will NEVER appreciate your car until till you do so. Trust me. And when you do, then you'll appreciate your two cars for the purpose in which they were built for.

ivanrho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you could do the Miami Thing; Keep the Viper, get it supercharged. Loose the Vette in Hialeah. Sell the SL65. Buy a Launch Edition SL 500, rebadge it to read SL65, then you're done! Save you're money on proper exhaust, wheels, front spoiler and rear tail-lamps.

I saw one of these roaming the streets already, and so I guess the only ones they're foolin' are the ones who don't know. As my friend once said: "Fake it, till you make it!"

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Or you could do the Miami Thing; Keep the Viper, get it supercharged. Loose the Vette in Hialeah. Sell the SL65. Buy a Launch Edition SL 500, rebadge it to read SL65, then you're done! Save you're money on proper exhaust, wheels, front spoiler and rear tail-lamps.

I saw one of these roaming the streets already, and so I guess the only ones they're foolin' are the ones who don't know. As my friend once said: "Fake it, till you make it!"

That's pretty funny Ivan...and soooo true in South Florida. Did you you pick up your FE Coupe yet?

-Chris

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the others say keep the SRT and SL65 and get rid of the Vette. Gotta love the SL65, the torque is a monster and a great car to drive. Too bad that they do not make it available in Manual. When I had my SL that was the only thing that I missed but I guess since it is more of a grand tourer they did not make a stick version. Good luck with your choice either way.

OP
OP
J

JoeBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SL is paddle shift not selling any of them just thought get some others input on the differences between the two to stimulate car chat period. The 3 cars are oh so different & I don't think about it I usually drive all three during the week at different times. But when it comes to HP/TQ the '06 F350 with Banks PowerPak 6 speed does it for me LOL. For sheer speed the Limited Haybusa leaves the others off the line but some are right what's a track can you run these things on a track. Shyte there just cars and its all good :headbang:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32