Slightly Used (Yeah Right) 06 Viper

1KWIK06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a two part question that maybe someone could help me with.

I finally wised up and traded my 04 Vette for a slightly used :) 06 Viper. It had right around 3,000 miles. When I test drove it, the engine sounded a bit "mechanical" compared to what I was used to with the vet. I drove several hundered miles to make the transaction and was not about to leave empty handed. I figured, hey, it's a V10, the dealer assured me that the mechanical sound was normal (I question whether they know what the hell they're talking about. Plus who can trust a dealer anyway?)

Is it somewhat normal for a mid noise level engine tick that is noticeable, fairly constant and increases cadence with revs? Is there anyway to get rid of this distraction that anyone is aware of?

I recently changed the oil (after buying the car) and as it is still fairly cold here, I used 5-W30 Mobil 1 Full Syn. (couldn't find 0W40 or 5W30 anywhere). The specs do call for 0W40 or 5W40. My pops insists that although I used the wrong type, this alone wouldn't cause or get rid of the infernal ticking. Keep in mind that the ticking was present before the oil change. Now it seems to be only slightly louder. Will it hurt to run 5W30 or should I change it to the factory reccomendation pronto?
<font color="red"> </font>
I have read in other forums where the V10 trucks have similar issues and that this could very well be a Dodge thing.

Could anyone shed any light on these issues... My car is starting to sound like a Diesel?

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hear the valves in my 05 more when it's hot. Also, could it that your ears are just tuning into the ticking because your not used to it?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is generally very normal, and if it has been blessed by your local Dodge dealer then go out and have some fun with the car. They are naturally noisy and that isn't always a bad thing. Welcome to Viper ownership!

OP
OP

1KWIK06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sort of figured it was. But just wanted to check with the people that would really know. I'm located in Fredericksburg, Virginia. I bought the car from a dealership in Conneticut. Seemed like a good price so I drove up traded my car in and drove the viper back. Total trip took from 9am to 4am the next day.

You gotta love the crackle pop exhaust notes! I just wasn't sure if the "tap-tap-tap-tap" was normal or not.

As a side note... The dealer claimed that the noise was indeed normal and that it really wouldn't hurt the car if it was driven hard right off the lot when it was first bought. He added that Dodge "breaks in the viper motors at the factory" and that no additional break-in period is required. That sounds kind of suspect to me but it didn't surprise me too much, coming from a car salesman.

Thanks for your feedback!!!

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's normal to hear some ticking. The fuel injectors on Vipers are pretty loud, but it shouldn't be loud to the point of "distraction". I don't even notice it on mine. Maybe I'm just used to it.

Have someone who is familiar with Vipers (other than the dealer you bought it from if you don't trust him) listen to it and get a second opinion. In general, the Viper engine is tough as nails. Pretty unlikely that there is any real problem.

OP
OP

1KWIK06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's comforting to know it's somewhat normal. I think I'm going to run it by a local shop to get their opinion this weekend. It's supposed to be nice here finally!

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's comforting to know it's somewhat normal. I think I'm going to run it by a local shop to get their opinion this weekend. It's supposed to be nice here finally!

On a serious note, what dealer did you buy it from??

Alabaster Mamba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the Viperworld!! You are going to love it. Since I bought mine it has been like night and day. You will realize, sounds like you already have, that these cars are like a part of you. There is something about getting in and feeling all of that torque and the fact that it fits like a glove is just an extra perk. They truly do feel incredible when you drive them. My favorite thing to tell those who "dog" on the Viper is "Yeah, and this always comes from someone who doesn't own a Viper". Great to have another convert around here!

VenomAddict

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Conratulations on your 06!

I know the feeling, I purchased my first Viper a couple months ago. It is a 2004 SRT10 with 2100 miles, and I quickly became aware of this noise.
I believe it is more valvetrain noise than fuel injector noise. Because, it is not consistent as fuel injectors would be. I notice it more when the engine has warmed up.
Check out "Valvetrain Noise" thread posted on 3-1-07 and "Ticking Noise" thread posted on 3-5-07.
This has been talked about a lot, and it is just characteristic of the awesome Viper engine.
Enjoy your Viper you will find out that the longer you have it, the more you will love it! :2tu:

OP
OP

1KWIK06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It's awesome to be part of such a great group. I've owned several different types of cars and have learned to respect them all. Seems to be the norm with the Viper crowd. I worked with several other vette owners and they seemed to all think that the vette was the ultimate american sports car and turn their noses up at everything else. Doesn't seem to be the case here. I think that is awesome.

PS- Bought it a Falvey's Dodge in Norwich, Ct.

I think they gave me a pretty good deal. They just didn't seem to be real knowledgable when it came to the viper. I had a coupe of issues in how the dealer handled themselves but all in all, I can't complain too much. I have a beautiful new Viper afterall!

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My first guess would be the injectors for the "ticking," but not being next to the car I'd say it can't hurt to look for a good Viper tech or experienced owner near you who can give it a listen and confirm it. My only thought being that if it's still under coverage from the dealer, now is the time to make sure. Esp since Falvey's is not a big Viper dealer up here. Around here, Papa's Dodge in New Britain seems to be the larger Viper dealer. They even have a separate building to house their rotating stock!

It sounds like your new ride is FINE. Enjoy it! :2tu:

If you happen to run into a snag and need some assistance up north, I'm local and my gf lives not far from Norwich on the shore in East Lyme so it's no trouble for me to reach that dealer.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only dealer that is worth the writing on his sign is Chuck T. I would take my Viper to no one but him. The CT dealers have no clue. Any of them.

OP
OP

1KWIK06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got the emissions and Va state inspection this weekend at a local shop. Doing some prelim checking, I asked them about their ability to do tires and viper wheels and they said that they do not have the equipment. On Friday I stopped by a local Dodge dealership on the way home and they basically said that they didn't have any certified technicians who can work on Vipers.

So in response to Robbie/Finally Got It - I know what your saying! Qualified shops/techs seem few and far between! Fortunately I live in Virginia and I don't have to do business in Ct. One of the things that I overlooked was locating local qualified people to not only do work on the car but do something simple like change tires without mangling up my wheels. I commute to the DC metro area daily and can go to N.Va. sports car shops like RRT, Curry's or the Ferrari dealership in Sterling, Va.

I would like to find a serious Viper mechanics/shops/dealerships in the Northern Virginia area. Does anyone know of any?

Thanks!!!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bryon Muller, Falls Church Area, he is in business for himself. Only guy I let touch my Vipers now that Heffner moved.
As far as the Tire/Wheel thing you might try Mr. Tire. They are usually equiped to do Vipers, the owner of the chain, Joe Tomarchio is a Viper Owner himself. If you need any more details on either pm me.