Small crack in the paint.....

Don Hiltz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed today, as I was waxing my Viper, that there is a small crack in the finish near the inside of the base of the left air inlet screen in my hood. Needless to say, I was concerned because there didn't appear to be any logical explanation for this sudden defect, albeit small and almost imperceptible.

After some thought about the possible cause, I realized that I am to blame.....

I have a bad habit of raising the hood by myself, rather than having someone assist. This unilateral force applies a torque to the hood. Two individuals, in thoery, supply a more symmetrical force when raising the hood. It's obvious to me now that, while the fiberglas can flex somewhat, the paint cannot.

I've never seen this discussed before, but I feel certain that others share my bad habit.

My new rule is: Don't ever attempt to raise the hood alone!

Don

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what it's worth I always have someone else help me raise and lower the hood. I have no flexing or cracking issues ( yet ). I also talked to the detail shop about two people raising the hood, and told them where the hood brace is for closing the monster once it is open. So far, so good.

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a bad habit of raising the hood by myself, rather than having someone assist. This unilateral force applies a torque to the hood. Two individuals, in thoery, supply a more symmetrical force when raising the hood. It's obvious to me now that, while the fiberglas can flex somewhat, the paint cannot.

For the record, taking a leap into Newton and Maxwell's shoes attempting to describe the physics behind why your hood has a hairline fracture doesnt justify you not knowing how to properly open your hood. Your theory isnt so much of Newton's unpublished fourth law as much as it is common sense. Sorry, just here to help :2tu:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, assuming you lift it from a more central part of the hood (inside the fenders towards the middle), there should be no issues. I lifted the hood solo on my GTS for 26,000 miles and never had a problem.

Here is another thought (and not to raise any alarm bells): One of the local body shops that does a LOT of work on Vipers said that some of the earlier RT/10's from the factory/supplier had a poor finish around those inlets on the hood. The factory/supplier would sand down the area and use something similar to bondo to shore it up. Usually with paint still underneath. Result? Cracking by those same inlet grills, like this 6,000 mile '93:

You must be registered for see images

Now of course if you are lifting it straight from the sides, then all bets are off. I still find it amazing how many Gen I/II owners close their hoods by slamming down on the very front part of the nose instead of back by the mounting brace. Those WILL develop cracks in more than just the paint...

Reaction score
The BAD news is "it's probably not the paint".

This is exactly the way mine started....one small crack 1/4" long, then another and finally they were appearing all over the hood.

This is a known issue with Gen 1 cars.

I complained to my dealer, who went to bat for me with Dodge and they replaced my hood even though it was out of warranty.

Don't wait....talk with the zone rep. They may fix this for you.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paul, Was this done recently? If so, I'm impressed that Dodge would replace your $18,000 hood that held up for 10 years. Obviously, its a defect but you would think after that amount of time that Dodge would dodge your dodge.

Dv8tor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I open my hood all the time buy myself. I just reach in and lift from the middle with one hand. This way, I'm not twisting the hood. When closing the hood, I put a towel down and push near the hood mounts.

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I open my hood all the time buy myself. I just reach in and lift from the middle with one hand. This way, I'm not twisting the hood. When closing the hood, I put a towel down and push near the hood mounts.
Me 2!

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For the record, taking a leap into Newton and Maxwell's shoes attempting to describe the physics behind why your hood has a hairline fracture doesnt justify you not knowing how to properly open your hood. Your theory isnt so much of Newton's unpublished fourth law as much as it is common sense. Sorry, just here to help :2tu:

You must be registered for see images

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its not about how you open the hood.

Most of the time its about how you close it, if you press anywhere besides the hood frame area eventualy it will crack.

Another thing could be if the hood was damaged prior and the repair job was inadequate.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not think he is talking about cracks from closing but rather the "chicken tracks" that are found on Gen I hoods. Those small cracks, found at the bottom of small depressions, occur due to filler shrinkage. Eventually the paint cannot stretch enough and cracks.

As was indicated above these were common in later Gen I's. I presume this to mean the hoods required more extensive filling. Also indicated above if you sand off the finish you can see the different color of the filler versus the hood material.