Smokin some vipers at Road Atlanta [video]

Daffy Duck Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool. Nice video. Always fun to see Vipers racing. :) Thanks for sharing.

You must be registered for see images

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I almost got wood watching that.
God I love Road Atlanta.
Awesome video, thanks for posting the link.

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you guys notice near the end the black viper goes off track on turn 3 ... guess he wasn't paying attention.. thought he was stupid until I did the same thing last monday, I was going up the hill after 1 and saw ryan coming on the track, was watching him in the mirror and missed the apex had to run off in the dirt

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim, kisk *** video. You are crazy man. That looks like a blast.

What kind of event was it or do they have open track days. That looks like it would be worth the trip.

Thanks for the video.

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey pete how did my line look? Ryan rode with me the first couple of laps. The video was from my first day at the track.. I guess I am indirectly your student since Ryan told me you taught him the track. Hope to see you around at some events eventually..

Tim

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey j smith, that was the panoz track days, lotz of cool cars.. 2 ferarris (new don't know what kind but $$$) lotza vipers, about 10 z06's great day..Lot's of fun, you should head down if you get the chance.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was a great video! I could watch the backside of a blue/white viper driver around the track all day. One thing about road course, it is 30% car 70% driver. Last year a Pocono I did some stopwatch timing of some of the more interesting cars running that day. The fastest true streetcar of the day was a turbo Integra of all things. In that same run group were two Vipers that were a tick off his pace. It looks like from the video the drivers were very polite in that they would let faster traffic pass without making it a breaking contest.

Man that looked like fun!

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the vipers definately had me on the straight... but if you are hounding someone in the corners let them pass, if you are on their a@@ again later they should let you by, it is not a real race. In the case of a race things are a bit different I would imagine.

tim

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice Tim, Next track day I will get out with you for some in car. To the rest of you guys, email me & I will put you on my e mail list. I instruct for many a club & often get special deals on track time. Since our region is so small, it is not finacially feasable to do it by ourselves, so we piggy back on other clubs when they cannot fill up an event. My e mails have events all over the south east, look for the June GA VCA events post for some events in roebling & nashville. And unlike other clubs, the more the merrier so its always run what you brung as long as you say your with the GA VCA. At the Road Atlanta events I will do basic in car instruction for free.(there are no instructors @ Road Atlanta who will get in a viper for free!). All I ask is that you tell me the truth about your track experiance & join the club! We got Ryans GTS from low 1:50's to low 1:40 in just a few events. He listens though! He will be in the 130's soon. With a stock gts! Who said a Viper couldnt do a 1:42 @ road atlanta?????

Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim is your last name "Fellows" LOL. Great video, great driving, luv the Z06. Looks like the Viper out pulls the Z06, but the Z06 out corners and out brakes the Viper.

Thanks

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That viper is not Flyn Ryan Rouleau GTS, that line in the viper in the beggining is not good. A well driven Viper should & will corner as good as a Z06.

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Pete, looking forward to getting some instruction from you in the future. Ryan was the viper at the end. He got down to a 1:41, and I ran a best of 1:44.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they had different license plates, Hey Tim check your mail I have sent you my pace notes for road atlanta, I just printed them for the VCA guys from NJ who are going to do the speed gt this month

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, there are 4 different vipers in the video. The 1st blue white, then there is a black with white stripe, then there is the blue white smoky/loud with the spoiler (he crashed his car unfortunately later in the day) and the last one is Ryan (blue white), he was just toying with me.

tim

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just another thank you for the video Tim. :laugh:

What fun to watch! (no doubt even MORE fun to do in real life).

-Dean.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Great video, Tim, thanks a lot for posting it. .You are doing well for a novice.

Out here in the South West, we have quite a few tracks, and quite a few serious amature Viper drivers. Paul Mumford, John Dearing, Ken Adelberg, Lance Watkins, and a few others whose names I can't remember right now. There are no Z06s to my knowledge that can hang with them. Don't get me wrong, I love Corvettes, and I miss mine, but when it comes down to it, a properly driven Viper will take on a Z06, equal drivers, same track, same day.

But the funny thing about it is, there is almost more to the driver, than there is in the car. I have seen some cars with lowly HP (250!) ratings run as fast, or faster than our big HP Vipers, because the lesser car had the better driver. Sometimes us Viper owners think we are bad, only because we have the superior car!

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic I agree (some vette boys may disagree with me), a well driven viper is a faster car than the z06. I think the problem is that it is a lot easier to drive a z06 fast than a viper, so for us average joe's a z06 will yield faster lap times. I think at a shorter course, where braking is more important, with no long straights, the z06 may be faster.

tim

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Tim, I have no doubt that the Z06 is a great car to confidently throw into the corner. Justin Bell, a professional driver with good credibility, says he likes to use them in his school, because there are "no surprises"!

Anyway, you are doing great with what, a 385HP Z06?. Stay safe, and please, keep posting those great videos!

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont forget the Z has those drivers aids, traction control, stability management & yaw control. The Vette is definitely easier to drive, that said, when you start dipping in the low 40's @ R/A on street tires you are moving.

OP
OP
T

timz06

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pete is right. My last time at the track I turned off the active handling. It is a great safety net, but once you pass a certain point it will slow you down and wear out the rear brakes. I am on DOT r tires.

Tim

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video!!!!!The Blue/white GTSwith wing..What was that guy running in hood??Wow, he was fast!!!!!

ryan 94RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up guys I see that Tim has ventured over to the dark side. I think the slower blue and white was either eric or eyal.... THe last time we got together at RA we had full course passing in witch i passed down 12 2-3 times, up into 1-2 2 times and down in thebraking zone to 6 a few more times.. OUnce you get a taste of that you dont want to give it up... WE NEED TO GO TO BARBER IN IN LEEDS AL..

SEE YA
RYAN

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang