"SNAKE KILLER...CORVETTE ZO6 ...500HP IN SPRING 05'

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

dunno about it being a snake killer. It's the area under the curve. I still say a 500HP viper's torque curve will be WAY fatter than a vettes TQ curve. -G

Yeah, little doubt about that.

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

no problem, still just a vette. there is more to an exclusive car than horsepower. even with 500 hp they will be parked in every parking lot. by the way 11 to 1 compression on pump gas is accomplished by cam overlap. compression ratio and cylinder pressure are 2 different things. motorcycles (japanese) run up to 12-1 on pump gas using cam profiles designed for this.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Re:

During the 60's, I was too young to buy any of those muscle cars. But the older baby boomers often said that one of the great things about that era was that the average man could buy a good performing car for reasonable change. In that regard, the new ZO6 will likely provide very good power and acceleration, plus handling, for a reasonable price. It will probably be faster than a lot of cars costing much more. As a business model, that works. They will sell a lot of them.

Does anyone really think that the boys at DC are taken by surprise by the new ZO6? Of course not! They hear about the competitions' new products before we do through industry insider sources. And I'll bet they are hard at work right now in the Viper skunk works, laboring intensely over a huge boiling *** of engine parts, adding in secret ingredients like eye of newt, hair of dog, gleefully sprinkling in some magic dust, and stiring the *** until a new potent Viper emerges with BIG NASTY TEETH, (any Monty Python fans here?) and a stare of death so dreadful in its eyes, it will strike terror in the hearts of all competition. Its the Viper's mandate and tradition to stay on top! Thats what Viper is all about! Keep the faith!

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I agree Vic, But can DC really put a 600hp car on the streets of America. I think it could become like motorcycles, where they limit the speed or hp cars can produce. Admit it, Vipers are scary fast right now, can you imagine if DC create a beast to hold the title for another 12 years?

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

DRY SUMP! DRY SUMP! DRY SUMP!

Dodge? That sure would be nice for those track days!!!

:)

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I agree Vic, But can DC really put a 600hp car on the streets of America. I think it could become like motorcycles, where they limit the speed or hp cars can produce. Admit it, Vipers are scary fast right now, can you imagine if DC create a beast to hold the title for another 12 years?

Daimler/Chrysler already have several cars with more than 600HP on the street today (and almost 750FTTQ!!), from the Mercedes CL65, SL65, to the McLaren SLR. :eek:

Whether they will put out a 600HP Viper, and not have any traction control at all is unknown, but I do believe that DC definitely needs to raise the stock power of the Viper to brush off the sea of 500HP cars coming out today, from the C6 Z06, to the Gallardo, the 997TT, Ferrari 430, Ford GT and even several speedy sedans.

I personally think that the C6 Z06 is going to be a great car, and in the same way that the SVT Cobra lit a fire to make the Corvette quicker, the new Z06 has definitely announced it's intentions to take on the Viper.

Since there don't seem to be many visual cues to separate the upcoming Z06 from the regular C6 Corvette, it won't likely be having people drop their groceries when one drives by, as a Viper does. But there is little denying that it's going to be fast. And DC needs to take another step up the power ladder (and hopefully drop a few pounds) to run with the Ford GT and Porsche Carrera GT. :2tu:

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

So the 11:1 isn't really 11:1?

Unless you have variable valve timing, with pump gas, you are going to get detonation at 11:1 at med to low RPM when you open the throttle.

NASCAR restrictor plate engines have very high static compression. Way higher than could ever be used in a gas engine.

It's ok for them because the restrictor keeps the engine from getting a full breath when they are a racing rpm.

The cylinder pressure is right where they want it at racing rpm.

Now, if the driver were to give the engine full throttle at low or med rpm, the engine would get a full breath, compress that full breath,
and blow the head off.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

with 11.0:1 compression ratio there will be

no way to supercharge the vette.

thus any viper with a blower will destroy it!!!!!!!

vd..

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

But those Daimler/Chrysler products are priced well out of reach for any average sports car enthusiast. So you’ll never see SL55 and McLaren SLR on every corner like you do Vettes, granted not Zo6’s but Vettes. If DC does step up to the plate ( and I hope to hell they do) they may create the Hyabusa (sic) of the auto world. Imagine some news paper reporter create a story based on “Auto fatalities involving high HP cars” and then some special interest group gets into the act like “Moms Against Muscle Cars”. They could put some pressure on Auto makers to limit their vehicles HP and the HP war is over. So hoard your Vipers.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

with 11.0:1 compression ratio there will be

no way to supercharge the vette.

thus any viper with a blower will destroy it!!!!!!!

vd..

Maybe not blown, but with that compession MANY will opt for Juice. :cool:

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Some of these responses are too funny. If the Vette has this it will do this, or It's still a Vette", LOL

Fact remains the car hasn't been released so it's ALL speculation at this point. Until then the Viper will rule the roost no doubt about it.

BUT IF, and that's a BIG if, the speculation is true 500hp, < 3,000lbs (a stock '01-'04 Z06 weighs 3050lbs) it will flat out smoke the 3100lbs+ GenIII Viper. It's a simple HP to weight ratio.

But then again we know GM, they are famous for being "Underacheivers", so I would worry not. :)

As for those who say "It's just a Vette", I hear my Ferrari and Lambo friends say the say thing about Vipers. :2tu:

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
z06 C6

Hey all,

It really doesn't matter if the Viper smokes the Z06 or vice versa, the really important thing is that today is a great time to be alive to enjoy some incredible automobiles. Let the Z06 smoke the Viper, then let the Viper smoke the Z06. We all benefit in the end. You are watching history in the making with factory 11 second cars. Think back at how everyone was so impressed with 13 and 14 second 60s muscle cars and how you felt when they were extinct. Now to present day. Just be thankful that we are able not only to drive cars we enjoy, but to exceed our boy or girl hood dream cars. I say bravo to the horsepower wars. Let GM bring it on... DC will surely answer.

Oh, yeah, a shot of Nitrous a day will allow even a Gen 1 to keep a C6 Z06 away. No worries :)
:eek:

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
Re:

Vettes ****! Every old lady at the end of each corner has one these days, take a daily trip down any given major highway and see how many you can count in just a 30 minute bracket, then sit there for another 3 days and see if you can get a 10,000:1 ratio :smirk:

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Maybe now Vette owner will stop pretending their talking on their phones or didn't notice us at lights when we pull up next to them. Those guys always act like they don't see Vipers. They only see Mustangs and rice burners. To funny.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

BUT IF, and that's a BIG if, the speculation is true 500hp, < 3,000lbs (a stock '01-'04 Z06 weighs 3050lbs) it will flat out smoke the 3100lbs+ GenIII Viper. It's a simple HP to weight ratio.

Is that enough weight to overcome the TORQUE difference and the FATTER TORQUE / HP curve the Viper will have? My guess is nooooo way. :)

Gerald :eek: :2tu:

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

G, like someone said above, the torque doesn't matter quite as much in the upper rpm range that you'd see in a drag race. Hell a good driver in an 04 ZO6 will take a Gen 1 and won't be too far behind a Gen II. Take a big chunk of weight off and give it another 95hp and we'll have a serious contender on our hands! The car looks GOOD, and sounds waaaaay better than a Viper! I think the only area where Dodge will have an edge is in the exclusivity department! They WILL be on every corner!

Bad Car

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

For every 200 Vettes I see on the road and see 1 Viper. Covette is still a mass produced car. Furthermore, I don't care if they put 700 Horses under the hood.

I personally like the new Corvette. But a Vette is still a Vette.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

I have never seen 1 viper (besides my own) on the road, the only time I see another ANYWHERE is at Tators or Vos.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re:

I have never seen 1 viper (besides my own) on the road, the only time I see another ANYWHERE is at Tators or Vos.

There is another viper about 100 yards down the road from me and another just a bit down the street. It is still rather rare to see them driving around.

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

still doesnt matter, it cant out handle the viper, cant outbrake the viper and lets face it, the torque of a vette will NEVER match that of a viper so bottom line; its still a vette and its still behind a viper every step of the way. BUT the vette is a nice car for the wife or special woman in a mans life, always has been. so are porches and certain ferraris; they are all great "refined and polite" looking cars for a lady. IMO the viper is a truly masculine testosterone driven outrageous looking muscle car. not many cars other than american muscle cars that qualify in that category.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

During the 60's, I was too young to buy any of those muscle cars. But the older baby boomers often said that one of the great things about that era was that the average man could buy a good performing car for reasonable change. In that regard, the new ZO6 will likely provide very good power and acceleration, plus handling, for a reasonable price. It will probably be faster than a lot of cars costing much more. As a business model, that works. They will sell a lot of them.

I talked to the GM of one of our local car mega-complexes, and he gave me a few details of the Z06 that I found to be interesting. First, it will have lots of carbon fiber panels, bringing the price closer to $70,000! Also, they don't plan to make as many of the new Z06's... they plan to make it more "exclusive"... possibly more exclusive than the Viper (this is the GM's words, not mine).

So much for being more affordable!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Re:

I talked to the GM of one of our local car mega-complexes, and he gave me a few details of the Z06 that I found to be interesting. First, it will have lots of carbon fiber panels, bringing the price closer to $70,000! Also, they don't plan to make as many of the new Z06's... they plan to make it more "exclusive"... possibly more exclusive than the Viper (this is the GM's words, not mine).

So much for being more affordable!

Hmmm, maybe. I heard $60,000.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

The current '06 convertible already exceeds 60k. The Z06 must be higher than that. I would guess 75k if it has unique body panels and engine. And since it uses the same body it will need the carbon fiber to keep the same weight differential as the old Z06.

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

The current '06 convertible already exceeds 60k. The Z06 must be higher than that. I would guess 75k if it has unique body panels and engine. And since it uses the same body it will need the carbon fiber to keep the same weight differential as the old Z06.

Actually, I believe $75k was the number I was quoted... I had to scale it down a notch to make it believable :)

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Maybe w/ high end options such as Nav, etc (stock comes w/ leather full power, etc) base convertible C6's start at $52K

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950