so if the SRT-10 is a better car...

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1. The sole reason I bought a viper was because of the SRT-10.

2. I have never had a problem with any bolts or nuts or widgets on my o4.

3. Tell the soccer mom in her minivan full-a-kids breaking her neck to check out my car causing her to slam into the toyota in front of her yesterday.

4. My only complaint is I can't drive it enough.

SNAKEPILOT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Y2K, what RavenFan just said!
Each time I was ready to chime in on this tread, you had already hit the nail on the head. We can only hope that DC reads and seriously considers your posts.
I waited until the last week in Feb. 04 to receive my car, which was a sold order at my dealer (Ringgold Dodge) since the first day that orders were accepted!. Meanwhile the local Dodge dealer had received two 04 Vipers, (both black) which they told me "just showed up". Since they were both identical, one was kept back in the shop, and the other went to the front of the showroom with a $10,000 "adjustment" to the MSRP.
As it turned out, the car arrived just in time for my March 1st retirement, and missed the bolt recall.
For the record, I love everything about the car, and I have not had a single problem with it in almost 5000 miles so far.
But, had the wait gone any longer, I was ready to cancel the order and buy a Porsche GT-2 that had just become available. I had decided that a six month wait for a sold order was plenty, while unsold cars sat at dealers all over the country.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT -

Thank you for the voice of reason, intelligence and fact. You've allowed me to stop posting replies to this ridiculous stuff. All I need to say now is, "Read Y2K5SRT's earlier post."

Dirk

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk do you even own a Viper? I sure hope you do with all the crap your talking.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper has lost none of it's raw appeal. More power, better handling, better braking....these are not reasons that cause people not to buy it. That is ridiculous.

I'll bet if they would just remove the airconditioning, the power steering and put in really uncomfortable seats then more people would be lined up to buy one, right?

It has nothing to do with the product.

By the way, when Harley started making a product that didn't leak and break their sales did not go down.

They made too many. They didn't do ANY PR work. The car is a convertible and winter is here.

"Better" is not a problem. That is silly. I agree that if they gave it an auto trans or something like that it would be getting away from the "Viperness", but the improvements made on the SRT-10 are improvements that are consistent with the image of the car. What improvement can you specifically point to that caused the car to lose its 'raw appeal'???

There is nothing wrong with the damned car. I loved the older Vipers, but many people would not buy a car that was unstable, uncomfortable, and unreliable. The new Viper is still raw, still 'badazz', performs and handles incredibly and can do all of this while staying on the road and stopping quicker than a runaway CSX locomotive. These aren't the types of improvements that scare away buyers.

Dirk

I have to respectfully disagree. Yes, the car is a world class performer. Phenomenal handling, and braking. Equal acceleration - although it feels a little slower IMO probably due to better handling (less scary) and effectively taller gearing. BUT... I've had to keep telling myself that in order to "make up for" the styling.

The new car appeals to a broader market - no doubt. I am not sure that translates into bigger sales - because you've increased the competition. New Viper buyers have probably looked at other cars - Porsche, Vette, etc. Gen I / Gen II buyers never considered any other car. So, you may see increased sales, but you may see more transient owners and less "rabid" Viper crazy / loyal owners.

As far as the older cars being unstable or unreliable - are you nuts? have you noticed the number of recalls and issues with the Gen III car? We drove both our 1996 GTSs HARD and they NEVER failed us. Most folks will tell you that their cars or buying a used car is that the car is simple and reliable. Unstable? Maybe "Fun" is the word I would use. It takes a DRIVER to enjoy the car. I have found myself thinking that I'd like more creature comforts in my 2003 - because it's so e-a-s-y to drive. And after driving a 1998 back from VIR after putting 5K miles on my SRT - the GTS fit me like a glove. Visibility was better, and I liked the seats better, strangely enough.

The SRT is like a pretty Rhodes Scholar at the Miss Universe Pagent. The total package may be more valuable, but she's not going to be wearing the crown with the judges.

Make the coupe a RAW, twitchy, un-daily driver that makes you feel like you are driving a race car. Make the styling scare old ladies ;) and stop traffic. Make little kids stop and point. DON'T make the car appeal to the folks that have a Mercedes 500SL - they are NOT in the target market and then you'll find yourself competing ewith cars with more creature comforts. eeewww.....

Bring back the soul of the beast - give it the looks and the "feel" of driving a race car. The GTS-R concept has the look, the Comp Coupe has it - and I am not sure the concept coupe does. The car should be polarizing and passionate.... NOT Miss Congeniality.

I've always thought.. If the GenIII viper was made to appeal to a broader market. Why is it there is SOOOO much more attention towards a GenI or GenII ? I think the attempt to appeal to a broarder market was an absolute STRIKE OUT by DC. Although the car is "nice" looking, it's a step down or three visually and a step forward in technology / handling / power. ;)

G

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Dirk do you even own a Viper? I sure hope you do with all the crap your talking.

--------------------
98 GTS VIPER "

Yes, I proudly own an 04 srt-10. I drive it almost everyday.

As for my posts being "crap":

You earlier told Craig that his posts were 'rude' and you apparently recognized that that wasn't the most effective way to make a point. But, you have followed that up with posts that make you sound like Craigtroll's brother.

The first time someone said anything about your car, you got quite upset. Your responses were defensive and personally insulting. And yet, you see nothing wrong with talking trash about the GenIII. Hello ***. My name is kettle.

I think your 'custom' paint looks fine, however, I wouldn't be caught dead driving around with a vanity plate that read YouWish. That sounds a bit too high school ricer boy to me. But, that is just my opinion others may think it is cute.

Dirk

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree. Yes, the car is a world class performer. Phenomenal handling, and braking. Equal acceleration - although it feels a little slower IMO probably due to better handling (less scary) and effectively taller gearing. BUT... I've had to keep telling myself that in order to "make up for" the styling.

The new car appeals to a broader market - no doubt. I am not sure that translates into bigger sales - because you've increased the competition. New Viper buyers have probably looked at other cars - Porsche, Vette, etc. Gen I / Gen II buyers never considered any other car. So, you may see increased sales, but you may see more transient owners and less "rabid" Viper crazy / loyal owners.

As far as the older cars being unstable or unreliable - are you nuts? have you noticed the number of recalls and issues with the Gen III car? We drove both our 1996 GTSs HARD and they NEVER failed us. Most folks will tell you that their cars or buying a used car is that the car is simple and reliable. Unstable? Maybe "Fun" is the word I would use. It takes a DRIVER to enjoy the car. I have found myself thinking that I'd like more creature comforts in my 2003 - because it's so e-a-s-y to drive. And after driving a 1998 back from VIR after putting 5K miles on my SRT - the GTS fit me like a glove. Visibility was better, and I liked the seats better, strangely enough.

The SRT is like a pretty Rhodes Scholar at the Miss Universe Pagent. The total package may be more valuable, but she's not going to be wearing the crown with the judges.

Make the coupe a RAW, twitchy, un-daily driver that makes you feel like you are driving a race car. Make the styling scare old ladies ;) and stop traffic. Make little kids stop and point. DON'T make the car appeal to the folks that have a Mercedes 500SL - they are NOT in the target market and then you'll find yourself competing ewith cars with more creature comforts. eeewww.....

Bring back the soul of the beast - give it the looks and the "feel" of driving a race car. The GTS-R concept has the look, the Comp Coupe has it - and I am not sure the concept coupe does. The car should be polarizing and passionate.... NOT Miss Congeniality.

Janni hits it again. I agree 100% with all of the above.

These quotes stand out...
"The new car appeals to a broader market - no doubt. I am not sure that translates into bigger sales "

"DON'T make the car appeal to the folks that have a Mercedes 500SL - they are NOT in the target market "

LynnRI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think that people who do not own a viper should not be allowed to join the viperclub of america.
FastFreddy

But how am I to learn about this car, if not in this handy and efficient forum? I only saw a viper (in person) for the first time in September when I stumbled upon a gaggle of you across from the racetrack in Dallas (I was staying at the Doral Resort on business, and there were several parked outside). Long story short, I talked to a viper tech at the bar, learned a bit about the car, and found this site.

It's official. I am hooked. The more I learn, the more pics I see, the more I want this car. I just keep thinking, "Boy, would that car look good on me"! :laugh: But, I'm a GIRL and no nothing about cars in general, never mind a monster like this.

I just know that I like what I see (leaning towards a graphite-colored one. Likely, an SRT. But, that said, God, I love them ALL. I, II and III). I am amazed how much I've learned about his particular vehicle, and the automotive processes & lingo in general (I have done quite bit of googling to figure out what the he$$ some of you have been talking about!). In short, if I intend to plunk down $50k or $60k for a second car, that I don't even need (notwithstanding the fact that it will look fabulous on me, and likely be a man-magnet. Which is always welcome.) I want to do some research. The “research” I’ve done here in the viper club has been invaluable. In fact, you guys (and gals) on the VCA have pushed me to what I think is the point of no return. I think some kind of launch mechanism, that I didn’t even know existed, has been ignited inside me.

In any event, I’ve learned a lot, and have immensely enjoyed the varied discourse on this site. Don’t ban me, Freddy!!!! Lynn

PS – I’ve read enough by now to know. Craig, it must be said, I think you do indeed resemble a troll. enough already.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think that people who do not own a viper should not be allowed to join the viperclub of america.
FastFreddy
In any event, I’ve learned a lot, and have immensely enjoyed the varied discourse on this site. Don’t ban me, Freddy!!!! Lynn

FF is a little wrong. You can't join the VCA unless you have a Viper, however you can visit this site as often as you like.

Lynn, you should talk to Janni. She knows as much about Vipers as anybody here.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Lynn --

There are lots of women Viper drivers -- in fact, some of our most aggressive drivers are gals. Our Michigan area club president is female and holds her own with the guys.

Don't count on getting a graphite SRT-10 -- they haven't made one (yet). All the graphite Vipers were made in 2002. Come on in, the water's fine! :2tu:

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW Lynn my '02 RT/10 in graphite grey was my favorite color and hoped my SRT was going to be graphite also but at the last minute they changed the colors available from grey to black,

LynnRI

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't count on getting a graphite SRT-10 -- they haven't made one (yet). All the graphite Vipers were made in 2002.

See how much I need to learn!! :crazy: Though, I am partial to that color. Sleek, classic, **** look. Without seemingly screaming, "Look at me! Look at me!" Any more than the car does naturally. IMO

I checked the 4 Dodge dealers closest to me, and they have none on site. I'm now kicking myself in the A$$ for not taking a closer look when I was surronded by them in Dallas. A car show is coming to the Providence Convention center next weekend, I think. I'll have to check and see if they have a viper coming in the show. Not that I'd be in the market for a brand new one, but it would be nice to see.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm now kicking myself in the A$$ for not taking a closer look when I was surronded by them in Dallas.

There are lots of Viper events around the country. The V10 Nationals in Bradenton FL Dec 10-12 will have between 60 - 100 Vipers in attendance.

Viper Days www.viperdays.com/schedule2005.html events always have nearly 100 Vipers.

Take a cheap flight and get your fix.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Despite the risk of my skull ripping out the top of my head..... I agree with Craig. No one questions my loathing of the SRT (yes, even after driving AND racing it) but I see his point about it becoming a sad statistic. DC proved it at VOI8 - they like to talk the talk about hearing us but its obvious to me that no one up there is really listening.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Bonk! I was hoping that this thread would die. I think that DC heard us just fine. Atleast the 3500+ of us who purchased an SRT and love it.

Like its predecessors, the SRT is not for everyone. For many of us, it is exactly what we asked for.

OP
OP
C

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bonk! I was hoping that this thread would die. I think that DC heard us just fine. Atleast the 3500+ of us who purchased an SRT and love it.

Like its predecessors, the SRT is not for everyone. For many of us, it is exactly what we asked for.

except nobody else is buying the car. Why is it so hard to accept that? Wow the first 2 years of production sold 3500 cars, what a screaming success :rolleyes:

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hard to accept what? "No one else is buying the car?" Sure young one, no one out there is buying SRT's. Not a car is being sold.

What is so hard for you to accept is that many people really like this car. It has outgrown some of you who liked the older version. Hey, you got yours. In your case, you don't have one, but that is ok.

It is that whole production thing that you can't seem to get your arms around.

Craig, when you grow up, you will learn that is unproductive to spend your life whining.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RavenFan, I've been with you all along on this thread. Good points, as usual.

Craig still ignores the fact that the srt-10 has sold at a faster rate and in higher numbers than 2001 and 2002 model year Vipers.

Dodge screwed up by making way too many and becoming so efficient that they could crank them out faster than ever.

All of the naysayers need to accept the fact that a lot of people love the cars and they've sold just as fast and in higher numbers than just about any other year and model of Viper.

If Craig was being intellectually honest then his question would be "if the 2001 and 2002 Vipers are so much better than the SRT-10 then why were they slower sellers?"

But then a post like that wouldn't feed his whining.

And before any owners of 01 or 02 Vipers get offended, I love the cars. Sales are not always a measure of a cars place in the food chain.

Dirk

OP
OP
C

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
fact: there is a 200 day supply of vipers. This has never happened before with the past cars for any year. If that is true please explain how the car is "selling" You dont shut down production if you have a product that is selling.

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
duh....they made a lot more and they made them faster. I've
seen this explained to you 4 times now.

The cars are selling in numbers similar or better to previous
years. In the past, it took longer to make a Viper
and fewer of them were made. The mfg just kept pace with
the sales.

Now, they are cranking them out much faster. Faster than
they are being sold.

Oversupply is the relationship between the number made
and the number sold over a particular time period. It is
not solely an indicator of the number sold.

If Dodge was able to sell 100,000 Vipers this year, but
produced 200,000 then they would have 100,000 extras. The
plant would be shut down....AND Craig would say they
aren't selling even though 100,000 of them had sold.

Dirk

OP
OP
C

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
put any spin on it you want. Dealers are taking huge discounts to move the car. Up here you find them for 10-15K off MSRP, that never happened with the last gen cars.

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
put any spin on it you want. Dealers are taking huge discounts to move the car. Up here you find them for 10-15K off MSRP, that never happened with the last gen cars.

Craig 201 KM

At your age shouldn't you be playing with a game boy or trying to find a girlfriend or something or is this the only way you get off! ;)

Please go home and study get good grades and someday just maybe??? :rolleyes: you
will be able to get one of your great deals you are talking about. Just
leave us poor SRT-10 owners that have been in your eyes ripped off I am sure
that we will survive.

P.S. Sorry to the SRT-10 owners I have been trying to ignore this boy. :2tu:

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Craig, you have been saying repeatedly that it is not selling and then offering the 200 day supply as proof. You sound like an idiot that cannot listen to reason. Remember this a ignorant person is one who does not know the topic at hand. A stupid person is one that has been educated about it but still does not understand it. You are clearly in the "stupid" court.

<font color="red">The 2003 and 2004 SRT OUTSOLD the 2001 and 2002 RT/10 and GTS combined. </font>

Got it. So please stop your whimpering about sales. It is INCORRECT. In fact, if you want to be technical, there are no 2 years of the RT/10 and GTS that combined outsold the 2003 and 2004 SRT.

So **** and go to school and stay awake this time.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I still like my SRT-10, no matter what stupid, er... Craig says.

corseviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I cannot believe you guys are even replying to this kid.
A majority of the viper owners on this forum are highly
educated people, we should know better.

Dodge, I love my SRT!!!!
It performs well, attracts a lot of attention and keeps me smiling.
I also believe in keeping the colors limited, just the
way exotic Italian cars and motorcycles are made.

Actually, I've changed my mind. Let the kid keep bantering...because we all know he's just a SRT wannabe.

mrviper99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry people for bringing this post back but just had to respond. My wife and I own 2 vipers a 92 rt-10 and a 1996 gts. Love both cars, however I love my gts more, just fits me, my wife loves her 92 however she doesn't get to drive it much. We were interested in buying a gen III however the styling appeal with just the colors offered held us back. We really wanted the srt-10 in yellow, would have probably purchased one in 03 or 04 if the color yellow was offered. I know the VCA special edtion is yellow but didn't want to get into the hype and be push into it. Now DC has decided to go yellow unfortunatly for the VCA special edition owners who were hoping for a rare color. My wife and I are looking at the 05 srt-10 in yellow, prices are dropping the dealers are dealing because the plant is full of cars. Last night had a club meeting talked to people who worked in the plant, they said plants full and production stopped for at least a month. We will really look at purchasing a yellow srt-10 05. The only problem I have the car won't be the perfect car for me after I buy it. I've talked about this with plant people, PVO people and higher ups. We need choices when we order these cars. If I buy this car the list of changes and mods I wish to install will make it my personel car, but I would like it done before I take delivery. Personally if I could get different color seats, top of the line stereo, different gearing, different wheels, higher HP and different selections of interior looks. This is where I think DCX is missing the boat, we need varity because we all have different tastes. I know I can have a aftermarket guy do this things, but to take your car across the country, have 18 year old kids fishing wires through the car and god know what all else is crazy. Give the buyers of the cars choices, it will take longer to get the cars but others and myself included have waited months if not a year for the cars to come out. If people have their own choice on the options they will buy more cars. It will cost more but a satisified customer with the car just like they want it is priceless.

viperphil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amusing side note: Out of the 50 yellow VCA SRT-10's produced world-wide, FOUR of them were drawn in Kansas City...

AND ONLY ONE IN EUROPE: 007 OF 050. james says hello to everybody. ok, i was joking: i hope DC will stop yellow production color as soon as possible, because it was announced to be ONE specific color. and it's not correct to announce a car that costs more than 5k more than reg prize, and then only 2 months later it will be a regular colour (very bad!!!).... for me, DC can choose a lot other colours of past years to be very exclusive, also because MOPAR colours have been all time a great choice (lime, orange, aso).