***SO WE TOOK RIPPER02's MONSTER GTS TO THE TRACK (IN CAR VIDEO)***

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
***SO WE TOOK RIPPER02\'s MONSTER GTS TO THE TRACK (IN CAR VIDEO)***

I POSTED THIS OVER AT THE ALLEY. I KNOW THERE ARE A LOT OF FOLKS THAT MIGHT LIKE TO SEE THIS THAT DO NOT GO OVER THERE. HERE YA GO.

If you are just interested in the numbers, skip my little story and check out the slips and video at the bottom of my post.

We took Jerry Kennedy’s(Ripper02) GTS to the track for the first time this past Wednesday. It turned into a pretty awesome day. After watching Chad rip off 8 second passes left and right, I often wondered what that would feel like. I decided to write up a little article on what I experienced. Maybe, this will help some folks get a better idea what it feels like to pilot a car that is this fast.

The Beginning:
It all started at the Heffner Nationals in December. I met Jerry at the track. He told me that he was building a car with specs similar to what I have in mind for Red. We kept in touch over the next couple of months. As Jerry’s car got closer to completion, we discussed taking the car to the track. Jerry asked me if I would feel comfortable driving the car at the track to see what we could get out of her. I accepted. Jerry is an experienced drag racer with a very stout auto mustang, but he has limited experience with a 6spd at the track. We wanted to get a number out of the car at first and when he gets it home, he is going to take the time to get familiar with the car.

The Car:
I arrived at Jason’s shop on Wednesday morning. The first thing I noticed about Jerry’s car is there is nothing to notice. Besides the massive intercooler across the front and really nice looking Forgeline wheels, the car looks absolutely stock. The only thing out of the ordinary about the interior is the 5 point harnesses that are usually tucked away for street use. Jason started the car and it sounded like a stock 96 with a cat back exhaust. I step back and wonder, is this really an 8 second car? I guess we are going to find out.

At the Track:
We get to the track and get the slicks put on the car. We are going over everything, crossing our T’s and dotting our I’s. Jason explains to me how the line lock works (I’ve never used one) and where to shift. The rest is up to me. That’s when Jerry hands me the keys. He looks me in the eye and says,”Here you go buddy. I have all of the confidence in the world in you.” I suite up and get the 5-points strapped down tight around me. Now I can feel some nerves. I start the car and drive over to the staging lanes. As I wait to get called out into the lane, I am going over everything and what I am here to do. I tell myself that this is the first time I have ever sat in this car, and I am just going to make a little shake down pass. I decided to take it out to the 330 or maybe the 1/8th and shut her down. There is no need to try to nail it on the first pass.

The First Pass:
The drag strip guy points at me. The time has come. I start the car and pull into the water box. I set the line lock and start the burnout. I move forward and stage the car. That’s when I had a little conversation with myself:

Nervous Gary- Man you sure have gone and done it now. Do you realize how fast this car is going to be?

Confident Gary- Quit worrying. We have this covered. Didn’t you see us in the T-Busa race? We kicked ass!

Nervous Gary- Yeah, but this car is making about 600 more horsepower, and Tom Welsh told us we could never go a nine. Oh [******], the tree just dropped. [******] it, let’s do it!

The moment I nailed it off the line, I was back in Big Blue. Granted, we were going a lot faster, but it was all the same. I just sort of went into autopilot mode. Four years of street racing vipers took over. I remember getting about half way through 1st and feeling my face being pushed back, kind of like when you ride the Gravitron at the fair. There was no doubt about it, this ***** was movin’! I made the second gear shift and the car was [******] brutal. We start ramping up boost at this point and my body was telling me all about it. I was going to do a shake down pass, but everything felt great. The car went straight, the tranny shifted smoothly, and I was in the groove. I ran second out, nailed the 2-3 shift, ran 3rd out, and nailed the 3-4. I knew it was a clean pass. We didn’t put much boost in the car on that pass, because it was basically going to be a test pass. I pull the car around to the “pit” and Jason comes walking up with a big grin. He told me we just busted an 8 on the very first pass! IT WAS AN 8.90 @ 161! Wow! That was cool. He said it was hard to believe, because we just didn’t put 8 second power into the car on that pass. We hooted and hollered for a little while, and then it was back to business. Now it’s time to start putting some power into the car.

The Second Pass:
I launched the car, and things got out of shape right off of the line. I decided to lift and come back around for another pass.

The Third Pass:
We put a little more power in the car. I staged the car and nailed the first three gears. The car started to move around the track a little on the big end, and that was a new experience for me. I found out you have to do quite a bit of steering at times on these big cars. I guess that distracted me a little because I missed forth. I still managed to coast through to a 9.19 ET!

The Fourth Pass:
We put a little more power in the car in 3rd and 4th. Condensation was starting to form on the car, and the track officials decided this is going to be the last pass. I spool the turbos at the light and nail the launch. The car start to get out of shape going left. It felt like things were getting out of hand, and I was on the fence about letting out. A split second turned into a minute. I thought, “Well this is the last pass of the night, and we wanted to get a good number out of the car.” I decided to try to power through it. I have powered through plenty of situations on the street and I guess that experience came into play. The car brought itself back in line and I finished the run. I was pleased when I learned that we just went a 75!

We took the car to the track for the first time and ran an 8.75 on moderate boost. That’s pretty cool. I can honestly say that there is no doubt, that this car has an 8.5X in it.
Thanks Jerry for giving me a chance to see what that beast of yours would do! It is a huge compliment that you trusted me with your incredible ride, and I appreciate that.

Jason, you have built another incredible street car. It performed flawlessly, and I don’t think we could have asked for anything to have gone any better. Thanks man.

To anyone thinking about going out and building an 8 second ride: Please take it slow. I found this to be extremely challenging. There is a lot going on in there. It may look simple, but it isn’t. You can get into trouble really quickly in these cars.

Now I can’t wait to get Red done. This is going to be fun!!!
You must be registered for see images

CLICK THE LINK BELOW FOR THE VIDEO. IT MAY TAKE A LITTLE WHILE. IT IS A BIG VIDEO.
***CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO***

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: ***SO WE TOOK RIPPER02\'s MONSTER GTS TO THE TRACK (IN CAR VIDEO)***

some pretty sick sh*t...thats thing is fassssst!

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That was really cool to watch. When do they require you to have a roll bar?? I thought it was when you broke into the 10's ??

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Awesome! :2tu:

I'm going to have to bring my Slow TT down there to play soon!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Insane mph! :eek: :2tu:

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Thanks for the vid Gary, how are you going to top that with big red?

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Looks like a hell of a ride..lol

Great driving Gary!

OP
OP
G

GARY J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks everyone.

One thing worth noting... this car is far from realizing its full potential. We still have a lot of power left to put into the car. This was the first time to the track, and we ran out of time. Jerry is going to put some safety into the car, and we are going to take it up a couple of notches. I will keep everyone posted.

Inferno,
I do not plan to necessarily top Jerry's car with Red. I think this car probably has an 8.5 in it. If I can take Red to the track and go a 50, I will probably retire the car from the track, and stick to the street from then on. That is my plan. Jerry is going to put a cage in the car, and I am not. Our cars will be like bad ass twin brothers. His will be more geared for the track, and mine will be street only. I can't wait to drive my mid 8 second street car back and forth to work with the AC blowing! :2tu:

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score

And I thought my tires broke loose too easy! LOLOL... GOOD STUFF! Thanks for sharing! :headbang:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

some pretty sick sh*t...thats thing is fassssst!

I can second that. That is one hell of a car. Amazing how he wrestles the car all the way down the track.

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Congrats :2tu: fantastic results, and account of time at the track. I enjoyed my visit to Jasons shop, he sure knows how to make power. I can only dream of what it must be like to drive an 8 sec Viper. :2tu:

RichieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The night before all this fun took place Gary called me and asked if I would like to hang out at the track the following day. It turned out to be a memorable day with some friends, the weather was perfect and to hear and see this car in person was truely a great experience. Thanks Gary, Jason & Jerry for a great day and sharing your first 8 second run Gary. I am sure you will see many more I just hope its not against me again.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What a handfull that thing is to drive, was working that wheel all the way down the track. Very nice run.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

11's is very quick, 10's are fckin fast, 9's are insanity, 8's are just Fckin Ballistic (no other words to describe)

My adrenaline is still going as I write this after watching the articulate skill of balancing quick shifts, WOT, and driving the car on the knife edge. Many many congrats for such great driving coupled with a great (as always) Heffner car. :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: