Some awful substance on the paint.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used odorless mineral spirits on small areas to remove stubborn spots. I have also seen body shops do the same thing. However, if I were you, since your problem involves 25% of your car, I would not experiment. I would just bring the car into a competent high end body shop who have handled similar incidents. You will probably see them pull out the 3M product referred to above or a can of mineral spirits ( which is also a weak paint thinner ) and remove the offending substance. It must be some form of fast drying glue.

Great advise as usual, with the only difficult detail being finding a high end body shop. At least around these parts it is.

Want us to spray some bedliner in the trunk after we buff her out? :dunno:

:lmao:

Anyway, the reason that WD40 is so popular for removing crap is that it is 50% mineral spirits. For the purist though, follow with soap, rinse, wax.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I pulled the old nasty clear-bra off the chin spoiler and leading edges of my side sills, it left a VERY thick layer of adhesive. I tried a bunch of stuff, but nothing would take it off. I eventually broke out a can of mineral spirits and that took it right off, no harm at all to the paint.

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
*** is your problem? All you did was basically repeat what everybody else has been saying, but with pics and links.

And now it's word, because YOU said it?

Uh, did you read some of the advice being given on the first page of this thread? That's what I'm referring to.

No need to get angry...

- Anthony

OP
OP
R

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Still nothing. I took it into the body shop. I am traveling this week and won't know until I return on Friday. Will update then with pics, thanks.

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And I've seen nothing that qualifies as horrible advise.

As I am aware of it.

:eater:

Haha, maybe that's part of the problem. ;)

The references to acetone, then dish soap (that is worthless), and simple green (which should never be used on a car), and paint thinner. There are products specifically developed for use on automotive paints, so I don't know why people try using household cleaners.

I see you suggested 3M adhesive cleaner, which I also think will be the best bet for removing this stuff.

- Anthony :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper