Someone stole my gas cap! Why do people do stuff like this?

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night I parked the RT/10 in a coverage parking area of a "secure" apartment complex. Apparently someone wanted a keep-sake from the ol'Viper so they took my gas cap. I did not realize it until I got home (150 miles later). I am just thankful they did not decide to use their car keys for some creative art work on my paint job. That would have been much worse. Anyone else out there with similar stories?

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Someone stole my gas cap!

the external one or the actual cap you screw on? if so you should have got a check engine light

The actual cap that you screw on. I did not have a check engine light which is why I did not notice it until I got home. Man, I hate punks that do stuff like this. I would have been fun to catch them in the act. :D

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You should have had a check engine light, i got one over a gas cap that sucked so you should have got one with no gas cap at all

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Good reason to buy the locking one at AutoZone.
:)
Sorry to hear they stole something from your car,the world is full of stupid people, unfortunately.
:(

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Watch the gas cap you buy i got a locking one and got a check engine light so watch it

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Same thing happened to a Viper friend of mine.

Get the Auto Zone locking gas cap for $10.49, but STUGOTS is right, make sure you get the one for your Viper and check it before you leave.

Sorry about the bum luck, but a least they didn't do something worse.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When I bought my car, it came with a locking cap that I didn't want. So I got a regular cap that happened to have the 5" or so plastic cable so you can't lose or forget it. I suppose you also can't steal it without some extra effort. Maybe that's a middle ground when getting another cap.

BLACKGTSR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:mad: sorry to hear that. i had mine taken twice now. last one was about a month or so ago. i did get the engine warning light, the next time i started the car. i put on another gas cap and the engine light stayed on for about 2 weeks before it went out. this was about a dozen or so drive and stop, then drive for awhile again. the computer does work, but is slow, but now no light and all is fine. p.s. no locking gas caps at pep boys, auto zone or dealer to put on my 99' gts. all the aftermarket ones don't clear the gas cap closer. if anyone knows of one please tell. i agree, i hope to find so punk trying to steal my cap... it would make MY day!!!

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BLACKGTSR -- I got my locking cap for my 2002 GTS from Auto Zone and it fits fine. There was a thread last week titled "Locking Gas Cap" that can give you a part number. Unfortunately I threw away the packaging on mine so I can't find the number. Ask them if you can test it in the parking lot before you drive away. Make sure it is properly vented for a Viper -- STUGOTS got one from Auto Zone that set his engine warning light off.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Rotten Bastages!! ERRRRRRRR!!
keep that yellow beast always in sight will ya ..
:)
it could have been much worst...

Jim

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

UM, is there something special about the original cap? Does it say Viper? Why would anyone want it? With a $.05 razor blade, anyone can get in an RT-10 or SRT-10 and take the good stuff.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score

How do you guys sleep at night without a locking gas cap? Too many @ssholes, ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, etc looking to dump something into the gas.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

UM, is there something special about the original cap? Does it say Viper? Why would anyone want it? With a $.05 razor blade, anyone can get in an RT-10 or SRT-10 and take the good stuff.

I am not sure if it actually says Viper. But they are chrome and incredibly good looking.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine wasn't chrome from the factory. My GTS had the Polished and clear-coated 'flap', but the RT-10 had a standard black ABS plastic crap, I mean cap.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How do you guys sleep at night without a locking gas cap? Too many @ssholes, ex-wives, ex-girlfriends, etc looking to dump something into the gas.

Dang. Now I am worried. I noticed that the car seemed a little sluggish on the trip home although no "Check Engine" light ever came on. I had no idea that the gas cap was missing so I did not pay any attention to it. Thinking back on the whole incident, I had assumed that the lack of a gas cap reduced the pressure a little thereby resulting in some sluggishness. I wonder if some punk poured something in the tank. :(

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'd have the tank flushed just to be safe....unless the drive home put your fuel level really low maybe a fillup of 93 octane would help. Most people don't carry around bags of sugar, so if it was a spur-of-the-moment thing, they probably poured Mountain Dew in there.