Something fun!

Kosey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all!

I am brand new to the big boy power world and the Viper world. I have not yet purchased a Viper however if I do it will be Gen 5, however I don't want the "oh look a viper" on the street (one day I will want that again). I am much more of a sleeper guy. I currently have a 2002 Honda S2000 with a Fully built 2JZ GTE VVTI making about 1000 to the tire. It has 2jz sound from every fast and furious movie, but I don't get the "IS THAT A SUPRA??!?!" they see an s2000 say "wait...supr.....hond....something is wrong...what isssss that???!" I know in the viper world 1k whp is low-mid tier, but at 2860lbs the car scoots.

I want to build something SO monstrous it should NOT exist.

I am poking my head in the Viper world to snag a powertrain for my current project (which I have sourced).
I wanted an AWD comfortable vehicle with all of the creature comforts and BIG power BUUT it can be driven daily (not saying I would) and is an ABSOLUTE sleeper.

The vehicle: 2009 TrailBlazer SS that I am sticking the V-10 into.
The goal: 3000+ WHP capable Viper V-10 with the AWD/4WD powertrain of the TBSS.
Parts: Viper Gen 5 V-10 (with some R&D ideas thrown in for fun), Built by the Absolutely Wonderful Gentlemen TODD ABRAMS:D:D!!
A built transfer case bolted up to the TR6060 for H-Pattern goodness.

Some of the questions I have:
Drivetrain, I have discussed using a sequential (which would be really cool in a truck, but then again so would an H-Pattern) because of the higher torque rating, but I lose the "fun of the H-pattern".
Drivetrain cont, my s2000 has a built Ford 8.8 in it and for its weight to power its a perfect match. The TBSS however weights in at 4680 so HEAVY my goal is to keep it at around 4700 after I'm complete.
so in terms of rear end, I will make a post in the TBSS form to see what they do, if I have AWD or 4WD (I would probably have a switch on the T-case to switch) even with 2700ft-lbs if at 60-40 or 75-25 I will put 2025 to the rear and ~675 to the front.. that's going to be its own issue...fun.. for me.

I made an account today to learn what kind of community I will be getting in to, some of the general normal "That's a viper" issues, not saying that anything will be stock...
EVERYTHING on this vehicle will be heavily modified or completely custom designed and analyzed by yours truly.
(if you have an idea on a part for structure/beauty/convenience I can design the part, have it printed/CNC machined out of pretty much any material) FUN.

So with that said,
Hello everyone My name is Derek LaMarche, I am a Mechanical Engineer and I make things for fun.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sounds like quite the adventure. Starting with a gen 5 setup might be interesting, but I guess if you're going full custom on stuff it's not as big of a deal. Mostly just from the standpoint of tuning and whatnot is why the newer ones have been harder to work with, but I guess that had changed more in recent years. I've seen some fun Steve Morris videos about stuff he's done to Viper engines, so the base for the power is certainly there. Putting that through an AWD setup sounds like it's going to be fun and expensive on parts, lol. Eager to see what you come up with though. You might look into Viper Specialty as well. They do a lot of custom builds and engine swap stuff, so he might be able to help with harnesses and computers if you don't already have that sorted.

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to start with something stupid, I have an UGR TT, 522 stroker, Stryker heads making 1200+ on pump, 1900 capable on c16

OP
OP
K

Kosey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MoparMap:, thank you for that info. I have chosen a shop for almost everything I will need in terms of engine build, transmission build, wiring, custom fabrication, and tuning. A&C performance! What I need to learn a lot about... quickly...is what kind of transfer case and front differential work will need to be done to support. Thank you!

99RT10GTS: thank you for the comment, however I am going with a 550ci aka 9l. With some custom R&D ideas incorporated into the block and heads. We are probably going to use 2x NextGen 7685 turbos or Garret equivalent (ie G45-1500) the end goal is an engine capable of 3000+whp with a setup that matches, but is driven on half or a little less.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick with an LS based engine designed for big power and 'daily' driver as there are proven builds or you will be pulling that engine for rebuilts monthly.

At 3000+ HP, you will be pulling that engine weekly. Then there is the tranny, etc.

No offense but you got a looooooot to learn not just on the transfer case.

I would spend a couple of months if not a year researching and learning or you will be spending at least $100k+ a year especially since you are having a shop do the work and not doing it yourself.

OP
OP
K

Kosey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stick with an LS based engine designed for big power and 'daily' driver as there are proven builds or you will be pulling that engine for rebuilts monthly.

At 3000+ HP, you will be pulling that engine weekly. Then there is the tranny, etc.

No offense but you got a looooooot to learn not just on the transfer case.

I would spend a couple of months if not a year researching and learning or you will be spending at least $100k+ a year especially since you are having a shop do the work and not doing it yourself.
Hey goggles! Thank you for your comment. First of all I am not going to stick with the LS, so there's that. Second The goal is 3000 to the tire, however I never anything about keeping it there, the engine will simply be built for that power so ANYTHING under that will simply add protection. Thirdly "with all due respect" do you know anything about high horsepower Viper builds? A&C performance will be building the engine and I have spoken to many of his clients, and others with 1800whp viper setups... They are DAILY-ABLE however I will not be daily driving it. So I don't know where you get the idea that the engine will need to be "pulled weekly". Fourth, "no offence" but "you have a lot to learn"...yes, that's why I'm doing this, so I can learn and build a monster. "You will be spending 100k a year"...what? I'm not purchasing a modified Bugatti. Question for you, where did you get the experience you have? What year is your viper, and how much power does it have? Lastly, the shop will be building the engine...that's it. I will be doing fuel, exhaust, intercooler setup, transmission and engine mounting and location. Thanks!

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MoparMap:, thank you for that info. I have chosen a shop for almost everything I will need in terms of engine build, transmission build, wiring, custom fabrication, and tuning. A&C performance! What I need to learn a lot about... quickly...is what kind of transfer case and front differential work will need to be done to support. Thank you!

99RT10GTS: thank you for the comment, however I am going with a 550ci aka 9l. With some custom R&D ideas incorporated into the block and heads. We are probably going to use 2x NextGen 7685 turbos or Garret equivalent (ie G45-1500) the end goal is an engine capable of 3000+whp with a setup that matches, but is driven on half or a little less.
You can use the Motec 150 drive it with just about any amount of power, or were you going to use a Haltech or a ProEFI?

Badsnek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will certainly be interesting to see what happens.....I was unaware that anything close to that level of horsepower has ever come out of that shop......you're in Texas and you're not using Calvo? Some very interesting choices here.

OP
OP
K

Kosey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This will certainly be interesting to see what happens.....I was unaware that anything close to that level of horsepower has ever come out of that shop......you're in Texas and you're not using Calvo? Some very interesting choices here.
I'm not in Texas, and I have extensively gone through Calvo's builds as well as A&C performances, and honestly I like the build quality of A&C more. Also with all due respect to Calvo I emailed them twice about my project and they didn't give me the time of day, they didn't even respond. With many areas in life (restaurants, banks, clothing..etc) the one who is the loudest does NOT mean they are the best (or good at all). Don't worry, if what you say is true about the level of HP coming from A&C, stay tuned.

Badsnek

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not in Texas, and I have extensively gone through Calvo's builds as well as A&C performances, and honestly I like the build quality of A&C more. Also with all due respect to Calvo I emailed them twice about my project and they didn't give me the time of day, they didn't even respond. With many areas in life (restaurants, banks, clothing..etc) the one who is the loudest does NOT mean they are the best (or good at all). Don't worry, if what you say is true about the level of HP coming from A&C, stay tuned.
My bad. Well if you’re on the east coast I would recommend reaching out to Havik Performance before making any final decisions. They do some awesome builds there and are quick as well. The only shop I’ve heard of continuously turning out the numbers you want has been Calvo. That’s the only reason I said it. I also don’t know every car that A&C has done. Maybe they do have some in that neighborhood, I’ve just have never seen it.

OP
OP
K

Kosey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My bad. Well if you’re on the east coast I would recommend reaching out to Havik Performance before making any final decisions. They do some awesome builds there and are quick as well. The only shop I’ve heard of continuously turning out the numbers you want has been Calvo. That’s the only reason I said it. I also don’t know every car that A&C has done. Maybe they do have some in that neighborhood, I’ve just have never seen it.
Wonderful! I very much appreciate the recommendation I will take a look and do more research!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala