South West 2001 Zone Rendezvous

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talk about a great weekend!!! The VCA's first zone rendezvous was phenomenal success judging from the smiles I saw on every face as they got out of the Vipers after finishing the autocross.The two components I saw critical to the success of this event were the numerous volunteers who helped to plan every detail and the folks at Dodge who loaned us two 2001 Viper GTS's for the competition.I will let Kingman Hitz fill in all the details of those who helped in his post.

What I would like to announce is the top two finishers in the autocross competition and the top two alternates.

First Place: Bob Cain 49.060
Second Place: Tom Atherton 49.232
First Alternate: John Nicholas 49.281
Second Alternate: Jason Jordan 49.367

The top two finishers have earned a position on the VCA National Autocross Team. We will be competing against Team Viper on September 15, 2001. As captain of the VCA National Autocross Team I contacted John Fernandez and told him to prepare for an *** whipping in the near future.

We will be having four more Zone Rendezvous throughout the country. The top two finishers in each zone will join the team. Invitations to the rendezvous have been sent to all current VCA members.If you have not received your invitation call your Regional president or Viper Headquarters at 1-800-998-1110. If you feel that you would like to be part of the VCA National Autocross Team get your application in quickly. The Rendezvous are limited to the first hundred applicants. Come join the WINNING TEAM.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony.... Jason.... thanks for your posts. Personally, I'm offering my most humble thanks to Mother Nature, for somehow staging all her wind, hailstorms, tornados and rain while all our Vipers were parked safely underground at the hotel. This allowed us to get in all the events at the track pretty much on time and in full. I need to acknowledge the help of a large number of people that helped pull it off:

First, Shannon Matus who operates the Texas region of the National Auto Sport Association (NASA). If any of you ever have the chance to attend a NASA organized track event in YOUR area.... DO IT!! We could not have done what we did in so short a period of time, without their help! Then, our region members:

Jay Lopez, Mary Nesmith, Steve Pasztor and Nancy Pasztor for pre-registration preparation,
Digital Race Photography for all the pictures,
Nancy Pasztor, Lee Pearlman and my son Cory for registration,
Keith Verges, Dayna Caldwell, Cindy Wayne for track scoring,
Stuart and Ricki Schuster and J.R Gray for the cruise to the Motorsport Ranch Track (and especially owner Jack Farr of MSR)
Butch Kirby, our Zone Director, especially for helping me get my track contract with NASA resolved,

Rich Carlson (Manager of the DC Training Center in Irving Texas), and local dealer Viper Techs Keith Laxson and Robert Morel for handling the factory cars all day, along with any problems with participant Vipers....

And, of course, Tony Estes for not just attending in his capacity as our National Prez, but also working the track all day long on Saturday. Having Fiona and Kim from VCA Headquarters in attendance, who spent a HUGE amount of time up there doing registration and planning for the factory cars, along with Mark Giannotta from Viper Magazine, took a lot of pressure off us just in case we ran into problems.

Can't forget Bobby Archer's German Motor Works for helping us set up the raffle for the sweet set of new tires. As a former Speedvision Series champion in his Viper, along with many other driving accomplishments, Bobby is a great source for the RIGHT accessories to make your car go faster around the track.

I think it was a good start for all the other Zone Rendezvous, and our North Texas region was very proud to play host for this first historic event.

However, the most important thought I would like to get across with this message, is that anyone who does not grab at the chance to participate in one of these Zone things is REALLY missing the boat!!!!!! Kick yourself not once, but TWICE if you're thinking about passing on the one in YOUR zone. Your national VCA officers and Dodge have made big sacrifices of time and money to provide factory cars to make the autocross both a fair competition, and opportunity to go flog a new 2001. Umm.... Jim Julow..... if you're reading this...... I mean "carefully guide a new Viper through a few soft cones".

Anyway, if you're NOT signed up for the zone event in YOUR region...... GET A MOVE ON!!!!! ..... or you WILL be sorry!!!

Now, I'm gonna go sleep for a few days!

John N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

We all really appreciate your efforts in making the 2001 cars available to us. Obviously they took some hard use, but it made for a true comparison of autocross times and I'm sure they see some hard use from the factory guys too. I bet Dodge may even sell a couple extra new ones after people experience the ABS.

Thanks again for everyones efforts. We all really enjoyed the weekend.
You must be registered for see images

cheers,
john

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony, don't give John any reason to assemble a team of ringers. Trust me, he doesn't plan on losing on his home field. They are hard enough to beat with the group he has in house. I am speaking from experiance.

Last Years Captain

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a blast!!! The only thing better than driving a Viper is driving someone else's Viper!!!
I agree with Jason, the autocross was great, especially when driving the factory cars.

King, did you do a deal with mother nature? Weather could have been much worse

Thanks again to everyone who made this event possible (King, Rich, and countless others)!!

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff, we would have tried to include some drag racing at this first Zone Rendezvous, but we had to face the double whammy of too much travel distance involved for such a short event, AND, the drag strip was not available anyway.

FYI, I already have a verbal agreement with NASA for another serious crack at the TMS road course in October for our Texas area Vipers. Hey dude..... chuck that "bottle" and concentrate on turnin left & right!!!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery