Spanked an E55 AMG today

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn car was faster then I expected then again it put down over 500rwhp. Beat him all 3 times from a 2nd gear roll. From 0 no matter how you launch the car with the stock tires it had no traction in first or second.

Fun though

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome. From what mph to what mph did this happen? What mods do you have on your SRT?

Good kill.

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raced one 2 weeks ago in my Ram QC SRT and stayed with the E55 up to about 70 this he pulled away.

The E55 would eat the duct of an SRT Viper.

Not saying much considering the E55 AMG is a 4 door sedan...

I love my Viper, but an E55 AMG is one hell of a car.

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raced a CL65 recently and there is just no shaking that TT beast.
We ran out of space and had to stop accelerating but I just couldn't shake him up to 145mph (closed course of course ;-)

On another note, they are apparently not selling well and have been discounted $40K or so.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RWHP on my E55 was 408. I don't remember the RWtorque number but it was close to my '01 ACR rear wheel torque number of 470, maybe a bit higher. Advertised stock flywheel HP/TQ is 469/516.

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mercedes advertises 469 flywheel horsepower on the E55 Amg (as well as the CLS55), but it's the same exact engine as the much more expensive SL55, CL55, and S55, all which Mercedes rates at 493 hp. Mercedes rates the torque of all 5 of those cars the same at 516. Mercedes also rates their SL600, CL600 and S600 horsepower at 493 as well so they dont out do their 55 AMG similar series cars. It's a well known fact that the Turbo V-12 600 cars put down more power than the superchared V-8 55 series Amg cars in reality.

Reaction score
05RedSRT,

Agree the E55 is a really nice performing sedan. The Viper should beat the E55 but if the Viper Pilot fails to get a good launch the E55 with its automatic Tranny will show its tail lights for a little while.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mercedes advertises 469 flywheel horsepower on the E55 Amg (as well as the CLS55), but it's the same exact engine as the much more expensive SL55, CL55, and S55, all which Mercedes rates at 493 hp. Mercedes rates the torque of all 5 of those cars the same at 516. Mercedes also rates their SL600, CL600 and S600 horsepower at 493 as well so they dont out do their 55 AMG similar series cars. It's a well known fact that the Turbo V-12 600 cars put down more power than the superchared V-8 55 series Amg cars in reality.
I have heard a rumor that the only difference is because MB purposely restricts the intake on the lower HP versions. If you replace the intake with one from the SL55 it will run better and have the 493hp. Like I said, it is just a rumor I heard, I do not know if it is actually true or not but sounds believable.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I have an E-55 along with the two Vipers listed in my signature. The E-55 will spank most Vipers from a stop. I haven't lost to one yet (other than my own) while cruising. I do shut down about 75 - 80 mph, not wanting to push my luck.

Most Viper owners run Pilot Sports - stock tires - which are really worthless for launching the car. Combine that with limited driver "drag racing" skills, a little bit of excitement and you have a very powerful car, the Viper, that can be made to look silly beside a four door sedan from a stop light. Going from a roll is another story, especially a fast roll.

My SRT-10 is a beast. I run it with drag radials on the street. It eats the E-55 from any speed, including a stop. The GTS does pretty well too. The cam I had installed by WCV pulls very hard from right off idle, so starting quickly by slipping the clutch is easy.

The E-55 is under rated from a hp / tq stand point, perhaps for insurance or marketing reasons, who knows. If you are running stock tires and aren't good at launching your car, don't test one from a stop, stick with the "roll" approach.

Lots of fun.

Dan

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Raced a CL65 recently and there is just no shaking that TT beast.
We ran out of space and had to stop accelerating but I just couldn't shake him up to 145mph (closed course of course ;-)

On another note, they are apparently not selling well and have been discounted $40K or so.

Damn that is pretty neat. Those S65, SL65, & CL65 cars are fast but I do understand how they could be hard to sell when you really look at it. I would love to have a SL65 at some point though. Nice looking and FAST!!!

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
heh..... I don't think so..... here is a totally stock E55 running 11's..... It's crazy, but true.... the E55 would take the Viper is many cases....

picture, timeslip, and video right here....

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Benz-E55-AMG-Timeslip-7187.html

and with some mods, they'll do 10's....

http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Benz-E55-AMG-Timeslip-5127.html

Raced one 2 weeks ago in my Ram QC SRT and stayed with the E55 up to about 70 this he pulled away.

The E55 would eat the duct of an SRT Viper.

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
E55 runs 0-60 in 4.3 seconds, 4.2 best. and 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds. viper does it in 3.9 and 11.8 seconds. so E55 never wins the viper in any case. The driver of the srt viper might lose but the viper itself doesn't.

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran a 12.4 @ 116 with only 700 miles on the odometer...with traction control intervening and slowing me down.

Don't fool yourself until you've owned and raced both.

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uhhh... did you miss what I just posted? E55 doing 11.8 @ 118MPH, stock, with timeslip and video... and there are plenty of low 12's also.....

E55 runs 0-60 in 4.3 seconds, 4.2 best. and 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds. viper does it in 3.9 and 11.8 seconds. so E55 never wins the viper in any case. The driver of the srt viper might lose but the viper itself doesn't.

Noredline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am happy to see that this happened, owning both cars I was nervous that my Viper was not as fast as my E. I will tell you that the E will do consistent low 12's based on all of the time slips and vids I have seen, one even did an 11.84 on stock contis, completely stock vehicle. The Viper driver needs to really be on his game to take an E from a dig. Apparently the roll situation is different. I have not dragged either car yet, and am looking forward to the quarteres one of these Friday nights with both cars. I stink at launching the Viper:(

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Quote:
uhhh... did you miss what I just posted? E55 doing 11.8 @ 118MPH, stock, with timeslip and video... and there are plenty of low 12's also.....

yes i obviously read ur post since i'm commenting on it ..... i'm not very familiar with the drag strip but how do u know that car is completely stock? the owner might have something and not mention it. and does anyone inspect the engine to see if theres any mods done on that car? because 11.8 is very different from 12.5 seconds. if an E55 runs those numbers than y wouldn't MB have that in any of the stats. it would increase the sales of that car at least 3 fold. y hold that kind of information back? or the time might have been due to very desirable weather conditions and pressure?

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An E55 might beat a srt from a dig, but go from a roll where traction/driver is not as big of an issue and watch the E55 fall back really quickly. SRT traps at ~122, E55 traps at ~116. E55 doesn't stand a chance from a roll.

Who cares what happens from a dig, my grandma can be in the E55 and I can be in a faster car yet still lose due to the ease of driving the E55 of the line, does that mean she has the quicker car? Nope!

forensicsteve

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Spanked a E55?????....good kill????????? You are comparing a 2 door sports car with a 4 door, 5 passenger luxury cruiser weighing (I am guessing) at least 700 pounds more than a Viper. What kind of victory is that????? Or am I thinking of the wrong Merc.....

05RedSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The great thing about a Viper is the brakes. This allows for high speed acceleration/driving in traffic without the fear of not being able to stop in time. My Rentech SL600 is about a hair faster than my stock SRT-10, and tons easier to drive fast, but I can drive faster in traffic with the Viper just because it weighs neary 1000 pounds less and I can always stop in time.

I have driven an E55 amg and it's a fast car and easy to drive as well, but the weight (4000 pounds) is an issue. The E55 is a better all around car for nearly the same money, but people dont buy Vipers for the all around goodness factor. The cars are just completely different.

OP
OP
T

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well my single point was that granted it weighs more it put down more power to the ground which surprised me. I am wholly glad I have your implicit approval now.

Noredline

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares what happens from a dig, my grandma can be in the E55 and I can be in a faster car yet still lose due to the ease of driving the E55 of the line, does that mean she has the quicker car? Nope!

Well then let's hope your grandma doesnt show and line up next to you at the 1/4 track in an E. Apparently a lot of people do care what happens from a dig, or the street lights if one is so inclined. I think credit should go to the E for being designed to whup many sports cars in a 1/4 mile. I'm not bashing any car, specially since I love them both. They are designed for two different purposes, but it is commendable that our distant Mercedes cousin can cross over barriers and compete in a few categories usually dominated by sports cars. There is no substitute for skill, of which I am greatly lacking in the Viper when launching. "Run what ya brung" is usually what you hear at the races from what I understand so if grandma shows up in an E, hope you brung racing slicks:)

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, if you're going to call people out as lying then that's fine..... the person who posted that is well know on the MB boards, there were others there who saw the run....

there are plenty of very low 12's from the E55's as well.... I go to the drag strip a lot..... trust me, 90% of the stock SRT's running out there are running 12.3x..... very few will run in the 11's.... not because the car isn't capable, but because of the driver or track conditions.... now... most of the E55's are running 12.3x as well.... even fewer in the 11's than the Vipers.... but your blanket statement that the Viper will NOT lose to an E55 just isn't accurate....

yes, on the top end, the Viper will eventually take over.... the E55 stops at 155MPH... :)

back to the start of the thread.... yes he beat the E55.. but as previously stated.... you're talking about a race sports/GT car vs a family sized, 4 door, heavy, luxury car! I would be more interested in hearing about the E55 spanking the Viper.... OR the Viper spanking the new Z06.....

Quote:

yes i obviously read ur post since i'm commenting on it ..... i'm not very familiar with the drag strip but how do u know that car is completely stock? the owner might have something and not mention it. and does anyone inspect the engine to see if theres any mods done on that car? because 11.8 is very different from 12.5 seconds. if an E55 runs those numbers than y wouldn't MB have that in any of the stats. it would increase the sales of that car at least 3 fold. y hold that kind of information back? or the time might have been due to very desirable weather conditions and pressure?

Fadi

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well then let's hope your grandma doesnt show and line up next to you at the 1/4 track in an E. Apparently a lot of people do care what happens from a dig, or the street lights if one is so inclined. I think credit should go to the E for being designed to whup many sports cars in a 1/4 mile. I'm not bashing any car, specially since I love them both. They are designed for two different purposes, but it is commendable that our distant Mercedes cousin can cross over barriers and compete in a few categories usually dominated by sports cars. There is no substitute for skill, of which I am greatly lacking in the Viper when launching. "Run what ya brung" is usually what you hear at the races from what I understand so if grandma shows up in an E, hope you brung racing slicks:)

I think you missed my point, or maybe I wasn't clear. Just because the E55 can give a Viper a run or possibly beat a Viper in the 1/4, doesn't mean it is the faster car. I was at the Z06 fest a few years ago and witnessed, over and over again, stock Z06's outrunning TT Z06's. The TT Z would run a 12.5@135 mph while some stock Z's were running low 12's @116. Which car is quicker? Sure the TT car got to the finish line 2nd, but it surely doesn't mean it is the slower car. Actually, it would blow the dorrs of the stock Z given it can put the power to the ground.

All I am saying is that an SRT is faster than an E55. Just because the E55 might win in a drag race (Just like the stock Z beat the TT Z) doesn't mean it is the faster car. Get them both from a roll on situation where mostly power is involved and watch what happens to the E55

youngviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
anyone know whats the best way to get the most traction from my srt10?? what kind of tires and/or rims should get me the most grip and least almost of tire spin?? is there anything else that can do this other than wheels?? and has anyone tried driving on the street with racing tires?? just throwing some questions out there.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4