Spark Plug Indexing

ACR Larry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a search to see if spark plug index orientation was confirmed by anyone.
I did not see any evidence of consensus on this issue.
Is there an expert out there who can unequivocally state if the plug gap orientation should be up, down, left, or right?

Larry

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere (maybe on this board) that correct plug torq was important to keep the electrode the proper distance into the chamber. If true, it would make indexing difficult.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR Autopia,

You are correct. I posted this a while back and got conflicting answers.

FYI: I put in new plugs and wires, cleaned the airfilters and got the EXACT same HP numbers on the dyno. I thought that since I had 6k miles on my car that new plugs and wires would give me maybe 1 or 2 hp increase.....NOPE. (I did not index them). So I wonder if indexing would even make a difference since the motor is not that picky to begin with.

SEASNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gap should be on the bottom side. When I did it I bought about 4 extra plugs and just used trial and error to get them in position within +/- 1/8 of a turn. It takes about 30-40 more minutes. I don't know if it made any difference, but I did it anyway.

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just like this topic,the effort of indexing would beat you to death.Aside from the noise of headers/exhaust I could barely notice 50hp.
sarcblink.gif

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The post by Jerry Dobson, above, tells the whole story. He replaced plugs, wires, filters and came up with no HP increase. And remember, those items he replaced are much more important than plug indexing. Indexing plugs in a Viper is a waste of time. Changing the plugs and wires is also a waste of time unless you are having problems. If it ain't broke don't fix it.