SPARKPLUG PROBLEM

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is plug number 1 the closest to the front? If it is, it should be somewhat easy to shine a flashlight in and there and check out the threads. Might just be carbon build up and running a tap specifically designed to clean out spark plug holes shouldn't hurt the threads if care is taken while you clean it out, but you should be able to spot a cross thread if its at the bottom.

yeah, I'ld be a bit nervous too about running a tap through even if the head wasn't aluminum.

I actually had to tap out a new hole and put in a Helicoil spark plug seat in on another car. The cross thread was so bad that it couldn't be saved with a mere tap. I was too lazy to pull the head so I did it with the head on the block. I used a lot of grease on the tap and rigged a shop vac with tubes that came down to a size that would fit into the spark plug hole to **** up any particles that may have dropped down into the cylinder. Definitely was a lame way to do it but I was a young pup back then and didn't know better.

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is very easy to gall the threads in a Viper head, when removing the plugs. Your best bet is to rechase the threads very carefully with a greased tap, if you can get it to line up correctly with the head installed. You probably won't be able to use a normal t-handle, but a socket wrench over the square shaft should work once you have started it with your fingers. Next time use a good <u>non-copper</u> anti-sieze compound on all plugs, like the one that Griot's Garage sells. Do not get this compound on the business end of the plug, or it may cause it to arc in the wrong place. Very carefully apply it lightly only to the threads.

If you could get your hands on a borescope, you could look at the threads to see what is causing the problem. If you lived in Denver, I would bring one by your house. You might be able to borrow one from an engine builder, and yes they are rather expensive and delicate.

Jerry Scott

Jim Sullivan

Viper Owner
Reaction score
While changing plugs No. 1 will only go back in halfway. Tried a sparkplug chase and a proper size tap but no success they stop halfway also. Scared to death with this aluminum. Any ideas?

Joel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jerry
Why use a non copper anti seize? What have I been doing wrong up to now?