Speaker Help - 98 RT/10

SmokesnRoadbeers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The sub-woofer between the driver/passenger seat is shot. I called two local Dodge dealers and both only provide an 800 number to call Alpine. I called and they finally located the part number (04763073) but have not yet called back regarding price. Does anyone have a phone number/Web site where I can obtain a new 6 1/2" speaker?

Thank you!

Phun70

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Go and get a set of the JL Audio 6 inch subwoofers, they are almost a drop in. Or with a good installer they also make a killer set of 8 inch that will sound fantastic, by the time you spend the money and time to get a set of the crappy factory speakers you could have had a really nice set of aftermarket speakers that will blow the factory ones away!!! Just did this to my VIPER!!

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Go and get a set of the JL Audio 6 inch subwoofers, they are almost a drop in. Or with a good installer they also make a killer set of 8 inch that will sound fantastic, by the time you spend the money and time to get a set of the crappy factory speakers you could have had a really nice set of aftermarket speakers that will blow the factory ones away!!! Just did this to my VIPER!!

I believe that the Gen 2 factory speakers are NOT alpine and I've upgraded all my Vipers. Door speaker kit is largest improvement, but all brands make speakers that sound better than the Gen 2s. This is an excellent opportunity for you to upgrade! Deck, amp and wiring works great, just the speakers aren't very good. I think that the newer Vipers go higher quality. I had JBLs in my first, Hertz and I just installed Infinity into my ACR.

Just make sure that you tell them that the 6.5" don't fit as my holes were 6 3/8". I used the speakers and had to shave the covers because they had to mount outside the preformed holes.

Ted

Last edited:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The factory audio supplier for Viper is indeed Alpine. However sometimes Alpine will outsource the speakers to a speaker manufacturer like Foster or Sonavox. It's OE audio grade which means it's really cheap and sounds bad.

Do NOT replace it with a factory speaker from the dealer. You will get ripped off three times to Sunday. Just find an aftermarket speaker such as JL, Focal etc. If you want to stick to Alpine go with the F1 series which is the high end Alpine line.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can any of the suggested speaker upgrades be accomplished without cutting on the car?

For the most part.... You can replace the speakers without drilling if you can find one with lots of hole patterns in the frame. Otherwise you may have to drill a few extra holes to mount them.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I doubt it. The speaker manufacturers seem to all list our cars as having 6 1/2" speakers. Unfortunately the actual size is 6 3/8". Do Not Fit.

Having said that, I cut the grilles to half thickness (not including the screw spacer tubes) and mounted them on the top instead of inside the speaker forming/hole in the door panels. The GTSs have their rear speakers hidden behind a 'carpet' cover with grilles mounted in that. For the rear Low Frequency (subs) speakers I mounted the 6 1/2" speakers to their "acoustic chamber" with no issues at all.

The stock speakers come with 3 holes (saves labor and the cost of 4 screws per car), but that also compromises sound quality so yes, drill the 4 holes required for aftermarket high performance speakers. Can't be seen and is an upgrade. I've posted pictures and written how tos on several threads. Do a search. Most recently was a few weeks ago.

Ted

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like Ted said , 6 1/2 speakers won't fit in the recess. Just measured the speaker holes in the doors yesterday and it only allows 3" max depth ,wich requires a shallow cone speker with less bass capability. A bigger, deeper suface mount speaker could be mounted though.I'm thinking of JL or JBL replacements myself.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had JBLs in my 98 GTS. Awesome sounding although the price was also pretty high. Hertz sounded as good but were significantly cheaper.

As Van GTS saidslightly larger surface mount speakers can be used, except not for the doors. There is only about 1/4" of clearance between the door panel and the side of the dash board.

Ted

StyVip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished a full audio upgrade:

Kicker 6.5 Inch Subwoofer (Special order from kicker) not huge base but better then stock
CompVT | KICKER

Kicker Door speaker: (These absolutly scream)
RS Series | KICKER

Absolutly no modifiactions required on any of these components

Cheers

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no problem getting mine installed in regards to the size of the actual speakers. My setup includes the following which was done in the spring of 2008.

- Boston Pro60's Series 6-3/4" Speakers
- Boston G510-4 10" Subs
- Alpine PDX-4.150 4 Channel Amp
- Alpine PDX-1.1000 Mono Amp
- Alpine iDA-X100 CD Deck
- Alpine PXA-H100 IMPRINT Chip
- Alpine CHA-S634 CD Changer

I have my two amps and CD changer stacked on top of each other and mounted within the trunk on the drivers side right by the fuel pump fuse. I also removed the spare tire in the trunk and had a custom circular sub box made that is the exact same size as the spare tire which is screwed down fitting my two 10" subs nicely. :2tu: