Speakers Buzzing?

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My speakers are buzzing like they are blown. The problem is that it is all of them. I just recently got the car so I am not sure how long this has gone on for. I am tending to believe that it might be a loose connection on the radio or amplifier. Has anyone had a similar experience. The car is a 97 RT/10.

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The system is all stock. It buzzes with CD and radio, but not all the time. The other thing is that it buzzes at low volume as well as higher volume. I have had blown speakers before, but usually they only buzz at higher volume.

Crompton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my 94 does it every now and then.Almost seems like the fuel pump kindda buzz on mine and seems to still do it when i shut the car off for the first few seconds anyways.But it does tend to come more from the center two speakers.

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The buzzing is only when the radio is on. It could be called static or a scratchy noise. It sounds like blown speakers. It doesn't do it with the volume off, but you can hear it at low levels like 4 or 5. How did you check for blown speakers? Are they available from Dodge or should I go to the aftermarket if it is the speakers?

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The buzzing is only when the radio is on. It could be called static or a scratchy noise. It sounds like blown speakers. It doesn't do it with the volume off, but you can hear it at low levels like 4 or 5. How did you check for blown speakers? Are they available from Dodge or should I go to the aftermarket if it is the speakers?

On the doors just remove the speaker covers (4 phillips head screws). In the back, I think you just pull the carpet liner away from the speakers. If I remember right, the speaker grills are built into the carpet liner. It's real easy, just get out there and look at it. :2tu:

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The noise is does not change with the engine. It is not an ignition noise. Sometimes it does not do it at all.

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a sound like a blown subwoofer,since my 2008 was new.I have turned the bass way,way down so as to minimize the noise but it is still there.I have never cranked the stereo either.I did not have it replaced because
a)I rarely listen to the stereo
b)no competent dealerships that I trust to remove the trim pieces necessary
to do the work.

OP
OP
J

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Amen. It is hard to find someone competent. I ordered the service manual. I intend to work on the car myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang