Speeding lesson learned!

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I should know better than this, but I got myself in a scary situation yesterday. I was cruising home on the 95 N and was doing around 78mph in 65 zone passing slower cars and minding my own business. I noticed a car coming up fast in my rear view ( I always scan for this) and pull into the slow lane as I can't tell what the make is and it is coming up way too fast.

It turns out to be a riced up Z3 M edition with a younger couple in it. They slow up and the gal does a 180 on my car as they pass and has a big smile on her face. They fly past me and then, as I pull back into the fast lane, slow to pull into the slow lane. As I catch up and pass them, they speed up and start riding my tail. I move over again to let them pass, which they did, and then pulled the same stunt again to tailgate me in the fast lane.

I am now sick of this game and floor the gas into a now clear fast lane and they try vainly to keep up. As my speedo nears 120mph I see, waaaaay too late, a State Trooper cruiser parked on the far right median :eek: . I had maybe 80 yards to slow to a sane pace, without going into full lockout, before still flying past him still at 80 mph with the Beamer now close behind. My heart is beating through my chest as I sickly watch him click on his light rack and pull into traffic behind us.

I slow to 65 and pull onto the next off ramp, eyes still glued to my rearview mirror. He lets the Beamer continue down the interstate and follows me onto the ramp. As I pull up to the first stoplight, I notice his lights are now off. I try not to look at him as he pulls into the turning lane right next to me. He pauses for a couple of seconds, fully checking me out, and then makes the turn to head back to the interstate. When I got out of the car at the supermarket, my legs were wobbly.

I do not even have the car registered yet (only got it on 8/16) and my insurance is shaky as it is. My guess is I took the cop by suprise and he did not have his radar up, as my Valentine 1 confirmed. He had nothing but suspicion to go on which would not hold up in court. Still, what the hell was I thinking? That stupid little Beamer will always be what it is and I will still be piloting a Viper no matter what type of encounter we might have on the road. I do not need validation for my car to come from this scenario or anything like it. I have owned fantastic sports cars my whole life and should know better.

"With great power come great responsibility".

Heysie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had it last saterday. There are always people who are trying to race, even in much slower cars and sometimes it's so annoying you just floor the gaspadel to get them off your back and before you know it you are doing more than 120 mph. The car is fast....

TOP GUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the gal was good looking-even better if blonde, your wobbling in the feet was worth it in my opinion(although not sane and responsible), now she has a better goal or guy to aspire towards. Her guy's Z3 M won't seem that great to her anymore, so he might find himself single or he will have to trade it in for a Viper if they're filthy rich$$$.

You're very lucky that he didn't pull you over for reckless or dangerous driving or even to check your papers regardless if he didn't have a trap speed.

Great story, I enjoyed it a lot. It nourishes the ego.

S

SUN RA KAT

You need a little restraint, like me.

GraphiteGTS is right! I never, ever speed in my Viper. Especially since it's Yellow and Roe Supercharged.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's just not worth it drawing attention like that. You should have nothing to prove. A "Reckless Endangerment" ticket can be a criminal offense in some states.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course everyone here is right...it was stupid. On the other hand, emotions can get the better of you and the power of the snake makes it easy to act upon.

I've done it myself in similar scenarios...I'm sure many/most of us have. I give you credit for TWICE pulling into the slow lane before deciding to swat that gnat off.

Just don't do it again! :smirk:

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never, ever speed in my Viper. Especially since it's Yellow and Roe Supercharged.
-------------------------------------------------------
What are you trying to joke with us Sun Ra. You never speed in a Roe Supercharged car? You think we're that gullable A light touch of the gas puts that car at 100 in the blink of an eye. I bet 98% of us are guilty of what Big Bird did today. When you are by yourself it is very possible for someone to push your buttons if they drive a sports car they think can hang with us. However it is almost impossible if you are driving with several aggressive Vipers and not speed at all. JPS02 is 100% right, the cop could have given you many other different kinds of tickets if he wanted to. Today was your lucky day. At times I have told the crew I drive with that we are moving way to fast(the car is so damn comfortable at 120 its easy to get use to). Your story has made me feel somewhat guilty when I look back at the driving (or should I say racing we did today), we have to slow it down. Have to put a block under the gas pedal.

V 10 MAFIA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually you were the one I told to put a block under the gas pedal and your reponse was that you foot would go through the firewall which I believe would happen. On your car we a definitely going to have to pull at least 4 spark plugs. Bring it out of that nuclear missle category. When I stop by I'll set the rev limiter to 3000 rpms. No more 100 mph burnouts.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Good one, Big Bird! Funny story-

Here's my little story for the day:

I was stopped on freeway on ramp, waiting for the metering light to change. There are two lanes at the light, but only one lane after the light, and if two cars are side by side, they need to come to somekinda agreement who is going to go first, and merge before the apron runs out. So this Mustang with an attitude screeches up along side me, gunnning his engine like he is gonna go for the prize, and jump out ahead when the light turns green. I wasn't gonna let that happen, but got a little too excited when the light turned green, and I spun quite a bit, making a huge cloud of tire smoke. I tried to ride it out by feathering the throttle, but it wasn't working, I made tons of smoke, and the Mustang just gave up. Maybe he thought I was gonna slide sideways and hit him, although I would have shut it down if it started to come around, but he had no way of knowing that, and decided to let me win, even though I launched crappy.

Here is where it gets kinda funny- (hold on, don't go yet!)

So I take the lead, with a huge cloud of blue stinky tire smoke following me from the ramp to the freeway's slow lane, and I see a California Highway Patrol motorcycle officer pull in right behind me. He couldn't have seen our little impromptu drag race, because it was down lower than the roadway, and he had just come over a hill. But there was still smoke pouring out of my cockpit as I merged onto the freeway, and I'm sure that him being on a motorcycle, he could smell very well what had just happened. I could see him kinda fan the air in front of his face, as if the smell was so strong he couldn't breathe. He followed me a bit, with me oh-so-carefully doing the speed limit, then he decided to move on. After he was gone, the Mustang owner looked over at me, and we both kinda laughed, knowing we had escaped the dreaded "street racing" ticket. (Either that, or he was laughing at my launch!) It was kinda funny to see the CHP officer waving his hand to clear the air, even on a motorcycle!

OP
OP

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Vic, good story too.Is there any fact to the California "Street racing" ticket resulting in a seizure of your vehicle?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Hey Vic, good story too.Is there any fact to the California "Street racing" ticket resulting in a seizure of your vehicle?

Yes, but I'm not sure if thats' permanent, like the drug seizures done without due process, or if they give it back to you at some time. And I don't wanna find out, either!! :)

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of one person, who shall remain nameless, that got his Viper back after it was seized for alleged street racing. Nowadays though, I think it's gone for good. I'll double check on that to be sure.

You guys will like this irony. I was coming back from watching HERO with my brother in law just now and we were discussing how the SDPD were all over the place recently ticketing everyone from no front plates to just 1 MPH over the speed limit. No sooner than I finish my sentence, and a cruiser pulls out of a dark corner and pulls me over for speeding. Got me on radar, and I decided NOT to use my Valentine One that night. Won't make that mistake again. He was cool and let me go with a verbal warning.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I try to think before I get into the gas. It's not easy but I don't want to lose my car, my life or somebody else :p

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
a few months back a buddy and me where coming back from the local dragstrip with all our testosterone pumping. he in his 99 camaro with bolt-ons and me in the nitrous breathing monster 97 gts, i gave him to the other side of the light to start before i tought him a lesson in whoop-ass. it was nice passing him at 50 like he was in neutral until we flew past the copper at over 100. i pulled off the road before the cop pulled out but knew it was coming, i was 10 cars ahead of my buddy when we passed the smokey so i knew it wasnt gonna be a good time. fortunatly the guy just called me stupid for racing a camaro saying,"you know he doesnt have a chance so why do something so dumb!" he was right, i get off with a very strict warning to get it home and cool down!

S

SUN RA KAT

I never, ever speed in my Viper. Especially since it's Yellow and Roe Supercharged.
-------------------------------------------------------
What are you trying to joke with us Sun Ra. You never speed in a Roe Supercharged car? You think we're that gullable A light touch of the gas puts that car at 100 in the blink of an eye...

Yes, I joke with you. But I have never, ever exceeeded the speed of light with my Yellow Roe Supercharged Viper.

Yet. :headbang:

JGK95

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...fortunatly the COP just called me stupid for racing a camaro saying,"you know he doesnt have a chance so why do something so dumb!" he was right, i get off with a very strict warning to get it home and cool down!

COOT! COOT! COOT!

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just spoke to the Officer that let me off a while back when he Zapped me doing more than double the 55 mph limit!
We laughed about it, and he said "membership has it's previledges!". :2tu:
But if it wasn't for him, I would have been in big trouble!

OP
OP

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This post has turned into a forum for "good Cop" behavior! Even though, I am sure, there are plenty of opposite stories about "the man" coming down ******* us, it is enlightening to know there are just as many cool ones that may happen to be car nutz like us as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960