Sport Compact Car Magazine Ultimate Street Car Challenge Roadcourse

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roadcourse: I know everybody said I should get a pro driver to run the car for me.....

Nick Wong had a hotshoe driver drive his Skyline and the car blew the connecting rods out of the bottom of the block as he crossed the finish line for the hot lap...

I was very appreciative that Paul Mumford offered to drive my car around the track for me before the competition. He is THE MAN for sure when it comes to the road course.

As much as it seemed appealing to have Paul drive my car so I could be a points ***** for the win, I ultimately decided to drive the car myself.

I need to do some more work to get the car to run cooler maybe with less power for the road course. The supercharger belt and pulley are just not that easy to swap out in the time frame between the events. The flexibility of Twin Turbos would certainly be nice, where I could dial down the power to 600 RWHP with the adjustable boost controller for the road course and crank it up for the dyno and 1/4 mile............

Back to the roadcourse: a 900 RWHP car(CATS OFF) around the corners was not really a problem at all. Linear power curve = easy throttle modulation.

HEAT was the problem. The nature of the beast is the following: to go around a roadcourse, you are usually in the 4500-5500 RPM range.

On a tight roadcourse in 90 degree heat, the car simply ran too hot to really get into it for more than one lap. Just realize that any supercharged car with this kind of power would run this hot or hotter.....

I had 10 min. to learn the course. I thought it to be infinitely better to get a feel for the general line after the first time I spun the car as the 2nd turn was slightly tighter than the 1st. So at the limit through the 1st turn you are bound to spin in the 2nd turn.

I went around in 4th-6th gears learning the track. With all the handy information of oil temp, EGT, and the usual coolant temp. I was able to know how hard I could run my car safely.

One problem I found with the roadcourse was that there were no braking markers of any kind. Also, running NOT AT FULL OUT, to learn the course, gave me no feel for exactly how fast I could take some parts that the other cars could take flat out. Also, the other cars would brake at a certain point on the straight(Going 110-120 MPH). So if I went balls out down the straight and was hitting 150-160 MPH, where do I brake? HMMMM...... This was the problem for me. The other problem was the fact that there were walls everywhere since thes portion of the track in inside the oval. The [******] talking Chicago Skyline guy's car blew up and there were plenty of parts left where I knew I could dominate.==> He was a chump for telling me how he could rev his car all day long @ 10,000 RPM and the car would be "bulletproof"...==> I did not want to be a bigger chump who crashed his car before the acceleration parts of the competition I could most likely dominate. I wanted to represent the Viper Community positively and show what the car could do in ALL the categories. I spent all the money I have to get the car where it is. Some may disagree with this outlook but this was the way I chose to do it! I will go there in the next few months and hopefully do a driving school. As it was, I was only 2 seconds slower than the fastest Supra and Skyline from last year. I know 2 seconds is a lot, but finishing the competition and showing the competitors the awesome power of the Viper was my goal for this year's competition.

I ran the roadcourse dead last in line to give the car a chance to cool. I knew I had only one lap to run balls out before the car would be too hot for another hour or so..... So, I took one light load 5-10 inches of vacuum warm up lap doing side to side slalom to put heat into the tires. The car was still at 160 deegrees of coolant and oil temperature.==>

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Paolo, firstly congrats to you and all that made it possible, on all you did at that USC event, I've really enjoyed the pics and posts on it all.

Been wanting to ask you, when you did that standing mile run recently, did you shift into 6th, and if so are you still running the OE 6th gear?

I recently did a UK streetcar shoot out, to find the fastest car over an autocross, quarter mile, and standing mile and a bit top end run (no MPG or Grandmas!). I ran my SC Viper hard all day and it held out well except for losing power due to heat soak (fitting water injection now). Some of the *** cars: Evos, Skylines, arrived on trailers and just as well, a few went bang at the event! I have just learnt my Viper came 4th overall, and was the only non-*** car in the top ten and RWD, as opposed to 4WD. Some of those *** cars had big money spent on them, and made 9s in the quarter on street tires!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Nadine - congratulations on your performance too!!

I guess you will be using the UK Aquamist?

If you go to the trouble to fit a MAP sensor with it and map it in 3D and tune it for the water - you'll be amazed at the difference - but you'll need water level and flow warnings.

If you don't wish to worry about a blocked jet or running out of water you can leave the tune as it is - at least it'll run cooler on the water.

You can also get a water sprayer for the front intercooler - that helps too.

Loved your pics too BTW - saved your burnout as my new wallpaper ;-)

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Torquemonster, thanks.

Yes I'm excitedly fitting Aquamist, I picked up their flow sensor etc and I'll be mapping it to the fuel flow to come on at 3psi and above (do you think >3psi will be about right?). I'm also fitting a manual switch so I can inject if kept idling on the line. I have no intercooler!!

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure what full boost is - but 3psi should be fine. At WOT you can run up to 25% water as fuel so you'll not hydraulic with that system. The only reason you wouldn't want it coming in earlier is water useage will increase.

I used to only have to top my water up every tank of gas - but a race circuit may require bigger water tank.

If you run timing retard on boost - long as you run water level and blocked jet alarms - you can safely reduce the retard you now run - perhaps even get full power advance on pump gas. That will make you more power. If you have a knock sensor - it is easy - if not - go carefully on dyno in 1 degree steps. Aim for 4 degrees more asumming you have more than that in boost retard. 4 degrees is conservative. It was all I increased mine by - but gave a huge power gain.

You'll also be able to lean out the fuel if you are running it too rich as a cooler - that will also make more power - but stay on the conservative side i.e. in the 12's A/F ratio at WOT to be safe. 11's are not necessary IMHO with water because you have IN-CYLINDER cooling from the water. The guys at ERL should be helpful.

no intercooler? spray the radiator - that will cool the engine - if you have engine temp problems at track events that is - if not it is not needed.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Paolo, firstly congrats to you and all that made it possible, on all you did at that USC event, I've really enjoyed the pics and posts on it all.

Been wanting to ask you, when you did that standing mile run recently, did you shift into 6th, and if so are you still running the OE 6th gear?

I recently did a UK streetcar shoot out, to find the fastest car over an autocross, quarter mile, and standing mile and a bit top end run (no MPG or Grandmas!). I ran my SC Viper hard all day and it held out well except for losing power due to heat soak (fitting water injection now). Some of the *** cars: Evos, Skylines, arrived on trailers and just as well, a few went bang at the event! I have just learnt my Viper came 4th overall, and was the only non-*** car in the top ten and RWD, as opposed to 4WD. Some of those *** cars had big money spent on them, and made 9s in the quarter on street tires!

Nadine, thank you for your response!

I have a Rockland Standard Gear transmission with a .8 5th and a .62 6th. I ran with a 3.07. I had to shift to 6th at 191 MPH. I do not know if stock .74 would be better for the mile, but I will let you know shortly.

Congrats on your 4th place finish! you did one better than me :D

I have to say that the small engines seem to me to be ticking time bombs ready to explode.

Vipers RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent 'torque' and advice, thanks Torquemonster.

What size tank are you running for the water?

I'm just on the standard Roe 5psi pulley at the mo, with a progressive 3 degrees currently taken out under boost where needed. Plan to go to 8 psi. I have fitted a Knock sensor. It is running very rich; I need to get a wide band O2 sensors. Luckly on circuit driving coolant heat is not an issue (Fluidyne rad), oil temp I'd like to run cooler (still on OE cooler, hmm!). I notice heat sink zapping power and hot weather too big time. Yes, Richard at ERL is great and very keen on an Aquamist Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmoore8950