Sport Cups on HRS's

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sport Cups on HRS\'s

Sport Cups installed on HRE 542’s. The front and rears are about an inch wider than stock so they are flush with the body. The rims in the rear barely touched the calipers so I made some wheel shims to move the wheel out a tad. I used 2 .06” shims on each side. Unfortunately my ignition coil has failed so I am unable to give some feedback on the performance. As soon as I replace the ignition, I will give an update and some pics of the car.

8021DSC02472a-med.JPG

8021DSC02471a-med.JPG

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Sport Cups on HRS\'s

Looking forward to the pics and the report. Post them ASAP. Thanks.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anyone know if the Pilot Sport Cups squeal before breaking loose? It's my understanding that one drawback (at least for us track beginners) to slicks is that they don't give any audible indication that they are nearing their grip limitation, unlike street tires, which squeal a lot before losing grip altogether. Slicks, I've been told, only squeal after you've pushed them too far, which is a little late for a meaningful warning. I know the sport cups aren't actually slicks, but I was wondering what type, if any, audible feedback you get from them and when.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am not the most experienced track person here by a long shot but I have tracked the street Pilots, Sport Cups and Michelin Slicks on my GTS.

All of these tires squeal as they lose traction. I guess there is some loss of the feeling of progressivity in the tires as you go toward the slicks. With slicks you are able to exert more lateral G force before you exceed the tire's traction capability and therefore if the car loses traction in a corner it may more quickly get out of hand and beyond your ability to correct.

I think this is why most people believe you should track your car on street tires for a while before going to stickier tires...till you learn how to keep the car balanced from turn in to cornering to track out and learn where the "traction circle" is for your particular car.

More experienced people here will hopefully give their opinions.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just put some on my 2000 GTS. 345 x 18 in the rear and 285 x 18 in the front. I track my car a lot but would not claim to be an expert. They did not give any audible sounds when cornering, which I wish they did. But For the damage they did to my paint job, I was not impressed and will not be using them again on my car. The tires are stickier and therefore sandblasted my sills and wheel wells. The traction was not worth the loss of paint. I going back to stock pilots.

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Soooweeeet, oh yah. I ran my new Sport Cups at Barber this weekend and they did great. As for the comments that were made about squeal, these tires do not squeal like a banshee the way the Pilots do but you are comparing apples and oranges. The squeal is such a relative term. You can push these tires so much further than stock tires, so where stock tires are squealing, these are solid and ready for more. When they get tot their limit, they so not squeal near as much but they give plenty of feedback through the car, you definitely know when they are going. Going around a corner and not hearing sreeeeeaaaaach all the way around is music to my lap time.

The dangerous thing about the Viper is that it is so easy to get going way too fast and these tires really help balance out the equation. You still can’t be stupid though, the laws of physics still apply, an object in motion wants to stay in motion. Good braking and good turn set up are the best solutions to getting around quickly.

The car is lowered an inch and a half, and what a difference it makes. Pictures can not capture how much better and more proportionate the car looks down on its haunches. Gorgeous!!! I will take better pictures as soon as my wife gets back my good camera

8021HRE1-med.JPG

8021Barber1-med.JPG

8021Barber2-med.JPG

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Awesome ride ViperGMC. Btw, did you notice any adverse effects with the 1 1/2" lowering of you vehcle? Also, did you find that an alignment was necessary? Thanks.

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Since I have changed shocks, wheels and tires its hard to isolate each effect. Have I got the Motons tuned right, working on it. The Motons are great, much better than I thought there were going to be. No more bouncing over rough pavement. Alignment for the new tires, track or street? The lowering caused an increase in the camber but I decided to leave it for running at the track. Ground clearance is now an issue however. Forget about preserving the front fascia, you just have to watch for dips and high drives. All that is left now if for me to become a better driver.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What did you do about the tire pressure sensors with your new wheels and tires?

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I put a set of sensors on the rims, no problems

GOT VENM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How is your launch (0 to 60) any tire spin now having the traction control and the new tires?

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I got the car running Saturday, just in time to go to the track. I do not have the TC hooked up, I sent it back, so when I get the new TC back I will give it a try. The tires do need to get warmed up before they grip, that I have figured out. It seems that I have had one thing after another go wrong. I had delays getting the tires mounted, then it was raining, then the ignition and computer went out. I don’t know what knocked out the ignition system but I have sent the TC back for evaluation. I have done a few easy 0-60’s but nothing great yet. The tires definitely hold much tighter in turns. I had to go back and get the fronts rebalanced and now I need to do the same for the rears. The kid did a static balance and it really needs a dynamic balance.

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I am running about 34psi cold which is a little on the high side. I find that there is less snaking and ridge running at a little higher pressure.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperGMC,

Are you switching between the OME wheels and your HREs? If so, have you put the OEMs back on and noticed whether or not your tire pressure sensor alarm or light went off?

Thanks!

OP
OP
V

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes, I have switched between the wheels and I have had no problem with the wheel sensor. However, I blew the computer and had to change it out. Now, I have a sensor warning problem with all wheels. I have been busy so I have not had a chance to work on it. There is a TPM (Tire Pressure Module) programming procedure to tell it the frequency of the sensors. Each sensor has a code and the TPM stores those codes so it can talk to the sensor. You must input the sensor codes for the TPM to see the sensor. The sensors have a centrifugal force weighted switch that turns them on when the tires are tuning at least 20MPH, so you need a special magnetic tool to turn the sensor on while you are there in the garage. I suppose you could also do the programming while moving at 20 MPH, have to try that. Anyway the dealer should be able to input the codes. I am not sure how many ID’s the TPM can store, or how many different codes the sensors have. I hate going to my dealer, so I will work on this myself when I get a chance.