Squeaky brakes and high idle when hot, need advice...

mini viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,

So I've had my 99 B/S ACR Viper since April and wanted to answer some questions that have either bugged me (squeaky brakes) or that have recently popped up (high idle). Descriptions are as follows:

Squeaky brakes: pretty self explanatory. Doesn't seem to hinder performance of the brakes (unless the brakes are actually supposed to be pretty good) but is irritating as hell when driving around town. My car looks like a million bucks but sure as hell doesn't sound like it when I come to stop. Are there any quick fixes for this? Have been thinking about doing a brake upgrade, but don't have the cash for that atm.

High idle: Viper has recently started to have a high idle of around 1500rpms when the temperature goes to the mark halfway between 190 and max. It wasn't doing this a few weeks ago and only seems to do so intermittently. Regular idle, the way I bought it, was around 500rpm or so. Anyone know what's causing this, and what I can do to fix it?

Help much appreciated! Thanks, MV

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the type of compound on these brakes, they are going to squeak.

On the High idle, do a search. There are several possible fixes, but you can try reseting the PCM, clean out the TBs and the IAC with some carb cleaner. Couple of others, just don't come to mind at the moment.

OP
OP
M

mini viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corsa exhaust, no other mods that I know of. What of these steps can I do at home? I'll do a search when I have some time. I assume TB is throttle body and IAC is idle air control... Thanks :).

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the TB's are the throttle bodies, and the IAC is the idle air controller. Simple tools for removal of these items, but there may be some steps in re-setting the linkage on the TB's after you clean them.

I suggest a factory service manual for that.

To reset the PCM, disconnect the positive battery cable and short the cable out against the chassis briefly. Wait maybe a minute, and then reconnect the cable.

After another minute or so, set WOT by turning the key to "on," but do not start the car. Fully depress the gas pedal and release 5 times. Turn the key to off, wait another minute, and then you are done.

DWR46

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The stock brake pads rarely squeak, so I would suspect a previous owner put a different pad on the car. Get some Hawk HPS pads, great brakes, low dust, no squeak. You can find them on ebay, or check Rolling Start Auto Parts on the internet. They were the best prices I found.

OP
OP
M

mini viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, less dust, interesting....might save me from having to wash the BBS rims so often (they look nice, but require some work). Will buy a factory service manual and try the PCM reset. Seems like something that is easily done. Hope that solves the problem.