SRT-10 "floaty" above 110 mph?

Viperdriver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT-10 \"floaty\" above 110 mph?

The steering in my '04 SRT-10 was getting pretty light between turns 17a and 1 at VIR. I ran an aggressive street alignment at close to shock ride height. I was also detecting a dead spot in the steering right at center on that portion of the track. I used no wings.
Is it just my car or is this a characteristic of the SRT-10?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: SRT-10 \"floaty\" above 110 mph?

I have never experienced the car getting floaty over 110 in either my SRT or GTS :headbang:

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: SRT-10 \"floaty\" above 110 mph?

There's a little "bump" or something that kind of unsettles suspension right through there. I usually apex at around 110-115 or so and then ease off to cruise down to turn one, whereas the ********* are hitting 130 or so and on the throttle pretty much to the braking zone. I heard a couple of the faster guys talking about that little bump there, though, so that might be what was unsettling you.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: SRT-10

I've spent some time at 165+ mph open road racing. With my Motons, I had to crank the rebound setting up pretty high (5 of 6) to eliminate "floatiness" at those speeds. That was the first time I'd experienced any "float" at all in my car, and it didn't start until about 150mph.

I don't see any floating at all at lower speeds.
At 110, my car is very well planted. It was that way back when I had the stock suspension, and also now with the new stiffer springs and Motons on mild level rebound (3 of 6.)

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What is rebound? I suppose I do not have this on my GTS.

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote:

"What is rebound? I suppose I do not have this on my GTS."

It comes standard on GEN III cars only, along with a choice of twin turbo or supercharger. :cool:
Rebound info

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Sound like the guys above identified the "bump" as possibly unsettling the car on this section of the track.

I ran the Silver State this May in my SRT-10 with stock suspension and had no "floatiness" at all. I ran with a hard top, roll bar and a navigator (passenger) between 155 and 160 mph for about 50 miles on a public road. Car was very stable. Steering couldn't have been better.

You many also want to have your alignment / ride height checked by someone who knows what they are doing. This may not be a dealer.

Good luck,

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang