SRT-10 or Porsche 997 S Cabriolet

TerryR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in a predicament and can use advice from the members here. I'm finally able to move up from my 02 C5 convertible Vette to one of my dream cars. As you probably guessed from the subject, it's between the Viper SRT 10 and the new Porsche 997 S Cabriolet.

I've already driven the new Porsche albeit in coupe form. It's a very nice car, as fast as my Vette but the build quality and fit and finish is many leagues above it. My problem is no dealers near me have a Viper I can test drive so it makes it really hard to compare. It's also going to be a daily driver so I'm a little concerned about the way magazines always describe the Viper as a raw beast. Will it really wear one down on long drives or daily driving?

So, that is why I'm here now. I hope to hear advice on what other members think of the two cars or even better members that were also comparing the Viper to the Porsche and hear why they went with the Viper. Any regrets, even the slightest? Thanks in advance Terry

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terry:

The Porsche is likely your best bet. It is docile, comfortable, reliable, economical and does not frighten small children.

You should not consider an SRT-10 until you have driven one.

The decision is comparing apples and grenades.

OP
OP
T

TerryR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hemotox

I'm only 34 so I don't need a Cadillac ride but I do want something that is daily drivable and reliable. I do like the fact that the Viper is tons more powerful and more unique, way less of them on the road witch I like. Porsches are everywhere and definitely won't turn heads like the Viper will.

Is yours a daily driver or weekend toy?

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 04 SRT-10 and I just bought a new 05 997S coupe.
The Porsche is a nice compliment to the Viper, but they are two totally different cars.
The simple analogy is that the Viper is like an old fashioned muscle car and the Porsche.........well is like a Porsche. It will take you days to figure out the nav and all the other computer functions of the 997S. You can just get in the Viper, fire it up and go like hell. (at your own risk of course. these cars will bite you in the a** if you are not carefull.)
The overall quality of the Porsche is far superior to the Viper, but I see you already know that.
Since you are asking for advice, if I had to pick between the two cars I would pick the..............Porsche GT3.
The 05 GT3 is still based on the 996 but it is a great car. I almost bought a used one with 153 miles on it. It is still for sale, let me know if you are interested.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like I'm driving a race car when I drive a SRT/10. What do you feel like you're driving when you drive a Volksw... oops, I mean, a Porsche?

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drive my Viper regularly. In rain and even in snow.
I realize it's a car so I don't freak out about getting
it wet or muddy.

The reputation of being unsuitable for daily driving is
largely untrue. Once you get used to the incredible
torque and learn to respect and even fear it a little,
the car is very manageable and comfortable.

I'm on my way to pick up my 8 year old and drive 100
miles away for the weekend. He won't complain about the
trip at all.

Good luck on your new purchase.

Dirk

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel like I'm driving a race car when I drive a SRT/10. What do you feel like you're driving when you drive a Volksw... oops, I mean, a Porsche? [/quot

Spoken like a guy who is so narrow minded he cant appreciate any model car other than the one he owns.

If you read my original post, it says the Porsche is a nice compliment to the Viper.
The GT3 shares qualitys that both the Viper and 997 have.
The gentleman who is asking for advice can obviously appreciate the exceptional qualitys of both cars. He asked for opinions, I gave him mine.....oops I meant to say only your opinion counts.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I feel like I'm driving a race car when I drive a SRT/10. What do you feel like you're driving when you drive a Volksw... oops, I mean, a Porsche?

You must be registered for see images

>>>>>>>>< vs ><<<<<<<<

You must be registered for see images
LOL

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm in a predicament and can use advice from the members here. I'm finally able to move up from my 02 C5 convertible Vette to one of my dream cars. As you probably guessed from the subject, it's between the Viper SRT 10 and the new Porsche 997 S Cabriolet.
I'm only 34 so I don't need a Cadillac ride but I do want something that is daily drivable and reliable. I do like the fact that the Viper is tons more powerful and more unique, way less of them on the road witch I like. Porsches are everywhere and definitely won't turn heads like the Viper will. -TerryR

Based on what you've stated…this being a move up car for you from a Corvette convertible and such and that you don't seem like you'd mind heads turning or the extra power of 505 cubes not to mention that you are looking for this to be your dream car, the Viper SRT-10 may be a better choice. You could very well soon tire of the relative sedate nature, average looks, and more commonality of the Porsche. The Viper on the other hand will always provide the good looks and a driving thrill. Good luck in your decision.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brian E. owns both the Porsche and the SRT-10.

He was saying that the SRT-10 is a brute force and exciting ride.

He was also saying that what recommends a Porsche is its technology.

The original question was whether one would purchase a Viper vs. a Porsche.

This is analogous to asking on that GM car's website whether a new buyer should buy that Forum's car or a Viper SRT-10.

The sampling population has made their decision and can no longer provide an objective recommendation.

Brian E. can...since he is fortunate enough...worked hard enough...to own both.

My plans are to head the same direction; the Viper as the ultimate American Muscle Car, and the Porsche Carrera S (my choice) for daily use. I cannot speak for Brian, but a Viper in a daily commute in Atlanta is wholly unreasonable...most of the time the highways are parking lots...all 5 lanes (each direction)...and it is only going to worsen.

Thus, the Viper in a City like this is a weekend car. The 911 Carrera S is a great piece of engineering (we have owned 911's in the past).

So back to the original question and original answer...you have to determine your needs and drive both. If I could only afford one...it would be the Viper.

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as head turning....I found the Silver SRT-10 to NOT turn but a few heads. It seemed like a perfect fast car that nobody saw. I could not stand it, so I got the VCA YELLOW FEVER edition.
PBR
10 of 50

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terry: I bought the Porsche for my wife...I drive the VIPER. Both great cars. I'm an old hot rod guy and love the power of the Viper. You get use to the ride and the smile it will put on your face. :cool:

Detlef

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ditto, I drive the Viper and bought my wife a 996. She lets me drive hers once in a while and I love driving them both for different reasons. Our 996 is non turbo so power differences are amazing between the two, favoring the Viper. They are both low and both will scrape if not careful. The 996 has heated seats which is nice on cold mornings and amazing brakes. But if I had to chose between the two I'd pick the Viper, there just isn't anything like it.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've already driven the new Porsche albeit in coupe form. It's a very nice car, as fast as my Vette but the build quality and fit and finish is many leagues above it. My problem is no dealers near me have a Viper I can test drive so it makes it really hard to compare. It's also going to be a daily driver so I'm a little concerned about the way magazines always describe the Viper as a raw beast. Will it really wear one down on long drives or daily driving?

So, that is why I'm here now. I hope to hear advice on what other members think of the two cars or even better members that were also comparing the Viper to the Porsche and hear why they went with the Viper. Any regrets, even the slightest? Thanks in advance Terry

I've owned two Porsche 911s, two Corvettes, including the 2004 C5 I sold today, and I'm about to own my second Viper. I drove my 1996 Viper regularly, and for long distances with no discomfort other than wishing I had windows and a top along with me. The SRT has windows, and the top is a ten second affair. I drove the SRT in Skip Barber's Viper class, and I can tell you that the seats are more comfortable than any Vette or Porsche that I've owned. I looked at EVERY car out there, including Ferraris that I could stretch for, my Vette, all of the Porsches, etc. etc. etc. I'm going with the SRT-10. I think it is plenty civilized, and anything you don't like, you can have changed.

Just my .02

Larry

MAVERICK

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've owned two Porsche Carrera's and every day when I drive to work I see at least five or six on the short ride to work (of course this is Boca Raton). A year could might go by before I saw a VIPER. No one pays attention to Porsche's in this town, but when a VIPER goes by everyone stares in awe. It feels special to own, great to drive, what else is there to say?

Hirohawa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are comparing it to a C6 like you are on the Corvette Forum and an SRT 10 like you are here obviously power is not your main concern.

Get the Porsche and enjoy your fit and finish.

Why not get a Boxster, Road and Track thought it was a Better sports car than the 997S.

OP
OP
T

TerryR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hirohawa

Not true, that's one of my major issues with the Porsche, the Vette has spoiled me with the power/price ratio. It makes it difficult to spend so much for no power increase. I'm done with the Vette for now, the new style just doesn't do it for me at all. I don't think the Boxster is for me either it's not even a lateral step in power to the C5 like the 997 is, it's a downward one.

OP
OP
T

TerryR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all helpful replies! I've decided I'd regret any decision without giving the Viper a test run. I've found a couple dealers somewhat nearby that I plan to visit tomorrow and hope to get to take one out. I'm more stoked about this drive than I was about the 997. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

05 Venom

Although I am a first time Viper owner (drove my '05 hometwo weeks ago) and
are completely satisfied with the Viper (can't seem to put the keys down) I
would probably recommend the Porsche. I haven't put a ton of miles on the Viper
yet but as an everyday I think it would be a little too punishing. It's
louder than the Porsche, rides harsher and lower, is cumbersome getting in and
out and has a tighter cabin. You also have to give the Viper your undivided
attention when driving. All these traits I LOVE for a weekend car.I have driven
seversal 911's and was only in the passenger seat of the turbo. Anyway that is
my opinion. Good Luck.

P.S. As far as heads turning while you drive by...not even a contest ALL VIPER

Chris

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be interesting to wager which Terry purchases...not which is more exciting but with which he ultimately settles, assuming equivalent prices.

This, I believe, would be based upon age, location, children, and financial flexibility (i.e. profession).

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would be interesting to wager which Terry purchases...

$50.00 on the VIPER :2tu:

OP
OP
T

TerryR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"This, I believe, would be based upon age, location, children, and financial flexibility (i.e. profession). "

I'll be 34 in June, live in Orange County CA, Married no children or any plans soon, Own my own business and my budget is just a little over $100,000. For comparison the Porsche with options lists out at about $99,300 before tax and licensing.

I'm leaving in about a half hour to the delaers, based upon the above, which do you think I'll go?

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is a very good daily driver...I use it as such (the SRT that is).

I use the truck when there's ice or snow or need to haul stuff.

The Porsche is nice...I like the GT3 but I need more TORQUE...way overpriced IMO.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Based upon Terry's demographics, I would think that the Viper is the car of choice for him: age, budgetary considerations, locale, and marital/parent status.

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
terryr & I share almost exact demographics however i have kids.. we know what I

picked. I got $50 on the viper.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Sedate, boring daily driver = Porsche

Spare underware in the glove box = Viper

No comparison.