SRT-10 Prices are really getting Low

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F355 - No hard feelings at all. The concern is that the market is so VERY small compared to say, the Vette market, that one erroneous post can affect things. Basically, it personifies the Butterfly Effect (and not the movie):

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/beffect.html

In other words, in such a small marketplace somebody posting that the sky is falling can quite literally affect the real market. As a fellow Viper owner and SRT-10 owner specifically, I don't like it - and understandably so. Your true Viper dealerships absolutely despise eBay and the perception it falsely creates. The vast majority of Viper auctions either end without hitting the reserve or sell off-line for much more. The problem is that people look at a final bid price on an unsuccessful auction and think, "Holy crap! You can buy a nice GTS for $28K!" This spreads and soon the market suffers because of this misperception. That has happened to the SRT-10 market to some degree and it just isn't correct. No hard feelings at all, I just want the record to be closer to reality than perception.

I don't understand why my wife hates the looks of my GTS but loves the SRT. What's that about?

This has baffled more than a few Viper purists, including myself. Personally, I like the looks of the GTS more. More exotic and more "Viper-like". Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the SRT-10 and am now on my second. But I still like the GTS, especially with stripes (blue/white or black/silver). Yet I too get a lot of people, especially women, that love the looks of the SRT over the GTS or any previous Viper. Some complain that previous Vipers were too "testosterone-laden", which may also explain why many men are lukewarm on the SRT styling. Nonetheless, the SRT does very well. Here is a quote from a recent post by a Gen II owner who has both an RT and GTS:

This past weekend there was a small town car show just outside of the city limits. You know one of those old town square set ups. The streets were all blocked off, hot dogs, popcorn vendors, etc... Hotrods everywhere. One section of Vipers. Four Gen 2's, two RT-10's, two GTS', and ONE SRT-10 VCA Edition. As I sat there and visited with people I watched the crowd looking at the cars and guess what? They all kept gathering around the VCA SRT, it was like the Gen 2's weren't even there.

Strange, but true.

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SneakypPete---I'm one of the 50 lucky guys who got a 05 VCA Special Edition! With Gas Guzzler tax, registration, and CT sales tax of (6%--$4800) I didn't pay $90000. So I know you can buy a 05 for a lot less then $90000. Connecticut where i live has the 1st or 2nd highest per capita income in US! So i know if you look around the country you can get one cheaper!!JMO Don't Buy a New car, they depreciate to fast. Buy a used with low miles thats in good shape. I bought 4 cars in last 2 years with under 2000 miles cheap! 2002 prowler, 2001 Jag XKR, 1999 XK8, 2001 Qvale mangusta! Example Sticker for all the cars combined!$285000. I paid $170000. Just shows you how much cars are not a good investment. they are Fun--Entertainment! JMO

OP
OP
S

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SneakypPete---I'm one of the 50 lucky guys who got a 05 VCA Special Edition! With Gas Guzzler tax, registration, and CT sales tax of (6%--$4800) I didn't pay $90000. So I know you can buy a 05 for a lot less then $90000. Connecticut where i live has the 1st or 2nd highest per capita income in US! So i know if you look around the country you can get one cheaper!!JMO Don't Buy a New car, they depreciate to fast. Buy a used with low miles thats in good shape. I bought 4 cars in last 2 years with under 2000 miles cheap! 2002 prowler, 2001 Jag XKR, 1999 XK8, 2001 Qvale mangusta! Example Sticker for all the cars combined!$285000. I paid $170000. Just shows you how much cars are not a good investment. they are Fun--Entertainment! JMO

I want a new car for the road course racing in florida, morosso, sebring, homestead....etc. I want a new one, but cant justify it for the same car used and alot less $$$

My plan is to get the used one and spend the difference on
autoform wing
front splitter
roll bar
hardtop
custom paint the car with stripes

And still have less in the car than a new plain old jane looking stock new car and really have something eye catching at the same time.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
F355 - No hard feelings at all. The concern is that the market is so VERY small compared to say, the Vette market, that one erroneous post can affect things. Basically, it personifies the Butterfly Effect (and not the movie):

http://www.fortunecity.com/emachines/e11/86/beffect.html

In other words, in such a small marketplace somebody posting that the sky is falling can quite literally affect the real market. As a fellow Viper owner and SRT-10 owner specifically, I don't like it - and understandably so. Your true Viper dealerships absolutely despise eBay and the perception it falsely creates. The vast majority of Viper auctions either end without hitting the reserve or sell off-line for much more. The problem is that people look at a final bid price on an unsuccessful auction and think, "Holy crap! You can buy a nice GTS for $28K!" This spreads and soon the market suffers because of this misperception. That has happened to the SRT-10 market to some degree and it just isn't correct. No hard feelings at all, I just want the record to be closer to reality than perception.

Understandable and VERY true. Problem with the last post I had started was that people got confused about the ones I had posted. They all had really been sold. Everyone was saying they weren't but I spoke with the dealers and all the paperwork was being processed. The problem is that a few people on the boards get angry because they could not accept reality. Once those people start talking, many more get mad and do not even know why they are mad. Chain reaction so to speak. Well anyway, drifting off topic, good luck with your cars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine