SRT/10 = Thumbs DOWN!

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim -

I agree with you 110% and after the pics I just saw on this thread of the new SRT/10 - I have to say, I'm sick!!! That car looks hideous! Absolutely hideous!!
pissed.gif

I guess all good things come to an end and it looks like the legacy of Viper is over! I'll always keep my GTS & the memories of my past GTS's but whoever designed this SRT/10 should be taken out back and.....well, you know.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
Trey,
Needless to say I concur with your comments. I thought of something that kind of illustrates my "feelings" that the GTS is more a true VIPER ( brutal, non-conventional, attention grabbing....haven't gotten in and out of a gas station yet in under 20 mins., race-ready, one of a kind, in your face true performance oriented exotic that stands above the pack ) versus the SRT-10. Imagine sitting in the driver's seat of an SRT-10 in a 5-pt. racing harness....doesn't work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Non-related question....I can't get the smiles legends to apply. I do not have smiles disabled under options below. Every time I click on one I get an error message. What's the trick or do I need to install some software to drive application???

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife had gotten me this little toy car and it's still in its plastic wrapping. It's placed by the sink, right in front of me when I brush my teeth and I look at it every evening.
It says "Dodge Concept Car".
I remember clearly that I liked that car.

Turns out that this is the new SRT/10.
Which I like as a concept, not as a Viper.
It's not a viper.

If I had the money (haha!) I'd buy one if it was called something else. Come on DC marketing, name that thing with a cool name, but don't smudge the lineage of our beloved vipers!
Please!
Don't pull a "corvette" on us. Please.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remster...

How do I put this nicely?

I'm not sure you're qualified to be making judgements on what aesthetic qualities do and do not make a Viper.

The SRT is ALL Viper. If you have any doubt, wait until the first one smokes your '99 off the line, and puts a few carlenghts on you in each gear. Then you'll be a believer!
smile.gif

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Remster...

How do I put this nicely?

I'm not sure you're qualified to be making judgements on what aesthetic qualities do and do not make a Viper.

The SRT is ALL Viper. If you have any doubt, wait until the first one smokes your '99 off the line, and puts a few carlenghts on you in each gear. Then you'll be a believer!
smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mighty Mike... this thread will go nowhere, so I won't waste my saliva. We're discussing opinion. Everybody's got one.
I know a lot of people think like I do on the SRT. I'm sure DC is aware. DC is taking the gamble that we're a bunch of sheep and eventually will drink the cool-aid. To me you sound like a brown noser and a sheep.

If the concept has more HP, no wonder it goes faster. That's not the point. The point is we're being shoved a weird thing down the throat, and told it's a viper. It's just not.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remster, judging by your taste in what a vehicle should look like, I find your lack of endorsement the greatest compliment anyone has yet to give the SRT/10. I am thrilled that I do not see it the same way you do. Now, I must say that I am simply making that comment based on seeing pictures of your Viper, and not yet seeing it in person.

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Remster, judging by your taste in what a vehicle should look like, I find your lack of endorsement the greatest compliment anyone has yet to give the SRT/10. I am thrilled that I do not see it the same way you do. Now, I must say that I am simply making that comment based on seeing pictures of your Viper, and not yet seeing it in person.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually coming to this realization myself, that my bashing of the SRT10 is actually helping DC, by driving the sheep to their side and away from my point of view.
Now I'm perplexified as to whether I should stop or continue. Serendipity got the best of me.

But one thing is sure, I don't need to see the SRT10 in person to see it's not a viper. I agree with you it's a cool car, but it's not a viper. Not a viper.

I suggested other names previously, and because I'm a nice guy I'll add a few more.
Piper, sniper, griper, biper, diper
smile.gif
, hiper, riper.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by remster:
My wife had gotten me this little toy car and it's still in its plastic wrapping. It's placed by the sink, right in front of me when I brush my teeth and I look at it every evening.
It says "Dodge Concept Car".
I remember clearly that I liked that car.

Turns out that this is the new SRT/10.
Which I like as a concept, not as a Viper.
It's not a viper.

If I had the money (haha!) I'd buy one if it was called something else. Come on DC marketing, name that thing with a cool name, but don't smudge the lineage of our beloved vipers!
Please!
Don't pull a "corvette" on us. Please.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh god, like you know or care to not "but don't smudge the lineage of our beloved vipers! Please!"

If any car does the Viper name an injustice, it's surely yours, I mean, I'd call a snake with kids marker scribbling on it a Viper before I'd acknowlege your tuna mobile.

Maybe pehaps if I did a mock up of an SRT with dolphins/hippie crap all over it in photoshop you'd call it a Viper.

Craig
it can happen

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Remster,

I enjoyed your response - really
smile.gif

I will simply say this... if disliking your car makes me a sheep, then shave me for wool and call me Mutton-boy!

I used to dislike the look of the SRT also. It has grown on me. Being Viperless, I can appreciate the car in an un-biased way. I will buy another GTS sometime soon, but you better believe I will also buy, AND ENJOY THE HELL OUT OF, my SRT!

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may be totally wrong but I just have a weird feeling that the GTS version of this car is #1 Going to be here a lot sooner than originally anticipated. And #2 going to be the best looking car on the planet! EVER!!!!
embarass.gif
embarass.gif

I think even the majority of the SRT/10 owners will be buying them and trading in their convertibles. Not all of them, I'm just thinking the new GTS will look soooo good that they'll have to have it or both!

I'm on the edge of my seat for this one!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King GTS:
I may be totally wrong but I just have a weird feeling that the GTS version of this car is #1 Going to be here a lot sooner than originally anticipated. And #2 going to be the best looking car on the planet! EVER!!!!
embarass.gif
embarass.gif

I think even the majority of the SRT/10 owners will be buying them and trading in their convertibles. Not all of them, I'm just thinking the new GTS will look soooo good that they'll have to have it or both!

I'm on the edge of my seat for this one!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For sure the GTS will be a better looking car. I mean what car looks better? A firebird convertible or hardtop? In my opinion a car that comes in both versions, the hardtop almost always looks better with very few exceptions. The thing is there's a market for open air touring cars, my bet is that alot of owners will have both.

Craig

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
King GTS,

I've been trying to gather all the info on a prospective GTS. From everything I hear (it's been said on here, but perhaps not forcefully enough), there is PROBABLY NOT going to EVER be another GTS. In the past, the RT/10 came out 4 years ahead of the GTS. The current situation (SRT coming out initially) is *NOT* a repeat of history - it's not the Dodge is just waiting to do the GTS until they get the RT/10 out, and it's not that "we just haven't gotten around to it yet" - they are not planning a GTS at ALL.

I know everyone seems to think that "oh they will do it - how could they not". Well, right now I think they are NOT planning to do it.

They have the Comp. Coupe for racing. An SRT with a hardtop or rollbar will be the street car made for racing. Where does the GTS fit it? I don't think "because we want it" is a good enough reason for them to build it.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

I don't think "because we want it" is a good enough reason for them to build it.

I totally agree. But I was thinking more along these lines. The GTS has out sold the RT/10 2-1 since its inception. Based on that information, I just don't see how it would be plausible for Dodge not to give the people what they want - what sells. What's worked in the past & gotten them to this point in the first place. Doesn't seem like good business to me. That's how my assumption was formed.

If I were Dodge and my GTS had historically outsold my RT/10, I wouldn't just do away w/ the GTS. Maybe come out w/ a street legal Comp Coupe??? I don't know. But I think something's coming.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Clayton Kresge:
I keep hearing that there are no plans to produce a GTS. I find this very hard to believe. A quick look at the production numbers elsewhere on this site shows that, since its introduction in '96, through the year 2000, the GTS has outsold the RT-10 over 2 to 1. Many past and current GTS owners, myself included, really won't get excited about the VGX as a street car until a coupe version is produced. This has been said many times, by many different GTS owners. Additionally, although the comp coupe is great, many more than the 25 people who will get the comp coupe, will want to track their cars, me included, and would prefer to do so with a coupe. Do you think all this is lost on DCX? I don't think so.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike,

My response to your Post was Ok - but I think Clayton said it best.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sure hope you guys are right... but the thing is some folks seem to be assuming that Dodge is really going to make a coupe, but they are just telling us that they aren't. I believe that not to be the case.

I hear what you guys are saying on sales numbers, but consider that there never used to be a GTS prior to 1996, and the Viper sold pretty well. They didn't introduce the GTS to prop up the ill-selling Viper, they did it because the older cars were really impractical, and the coupe was a logical evolution. Why not make the RT/10 and GTS side by side from '96 on, since they already had the design for the RT/10 done.

The SRT is an all new design, and I think they would have to do alot of work to make it into a coupe. I think the SRT will sell just fine for several years at least, and will keep CAAP 100% busy - especially considering they will probably be building SRT trucks there.

I hope you guys are right - but I do know that the whole "they are not planning a coupe" isn't just a line from Dodge to cover their tracks - it's the honest truth and if they did do a coupe, I don't think it would be out for 3-4 years or more.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
The SRT-10 is not a VIPER....period. DC will not build a Gen III GTS because there are more than enough non-VIPER people ( posers ) in the marketplace to buy the SRT-10. In my opinion the SRT-10 looks like a Vette + S2000 + Sebring. The current VIPER GTS looks like a VIPER GTS....NOTHING ELSE. Also, don't forget about the new addition since the GenI & GenII Vipers hit the street...the 'D' in DC. My opinion is hold on to your GTS instead of holding your breath for a new one!

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
idea for the funny guy who has photoshop, how about one SRT10 with Frankenstein stiches on it?
The halloween viper!

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,

I'm definitely holding onto my GTS. I'm even considering buying another GTS/Solid Yellow. Go all the way w/ my 01 Sapphire & have the Solid yellow as an everyday. Just until I can get a good feel for what's gonna happen. I don't know....

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig 201 MPH:
Oh god, like you know or care to not "but don't smudge the lineage of our beloved vipers! Please!"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig, if I said the sky is blue, I bet you'd have to call it green just to differ.

Feel free to continue living your life as a robot, prisonner of your preconceived ideas.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by remster:
idea for the funny guy who has photoshop, how about one SRT10 with Frankenstein stiches on it?
The halloween viper!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's gonna cost you 75K down and 75K when it's done.

Hey you asked for it.

SWISH!

Craig

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Craig, if I said the sky is blue, I bet you'd have to call it green just to differ.

Feel free to continue living your life as a robot, prisonner of your preconceived ideas.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now I'm a robot, that's a good one.

Why would I care to argue with something that's true? I was just pointing out that you fail to notice the SRT as a Viper while you have a ahem.. Viper that has an animal totally unrelated to a Viper, but you recognize your car fully? I don't get it. I'm not a prisoner of my own preconceived ideas, it's called an opinion and I don't feel they trap me. Something you know all too much about.

Craig

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
With all due respect Jim M,

Let me understand your comment....

"there are more than enough non-VIPER people ( posers ) in the marketplace to buy the SRT-10"

.... so that's why 100% of the certificates were grabbed up by whom?

CURRENT VIPER OWNERS

...with lots of additional CURRENT VIPER OWNERS on waiting list?

I'm going to state MY opinion one more time:

WAIT 'TIL THE PERFORMANCE SPECS ARE PUBLISHED! THE SRT-10 is ALL VIPER!

Tony Estes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Trey,
The word I heard while in Detroit a few weeks ago was "if you want a coupe buy a 2002". THERE ARE NO PLANS TO BUILD A COUPE VERSION OF THE SRT-10. A hardtop for the SRT-10 should be available about six months after delivery of the first SRT-10's.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was sitting with Tony when that statement was made, so don't be surprised if if you never see a hard top version of the Viper for street use again.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Tony. I've just been hearing so much from both sides, I wanted to hear what the 'highr ups' had heard as well.

I hope it's just a ploy to get EVERYONE out there to buy up all the 02 GTS's and 02 RT/10's possible!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AGAIN, the SRT/10 is a much more imposing, meaner looking car than the RT/10. And since they sold out in DAYS, I would think that many other fans see what this beast is about.

No where in the marketing plan did they want ANY of us to loose the passion we have for our current Viper's (even though my RT/10 never looked so OLD), so they make a car that the majority of this group ASKED for. Seems like giving the customer what they want may have worked.

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
... even though my RT/10 never looked so OLD ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, I know just the guy to revive your aging RT/10... but I must warn you this plan may sound a bit fishy at first.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the car sold so quickly because of the stupid hype behind those certificates! (A hype ploy that I never fell for by the way, but watched everyone get all excited about)
You know, the countdown, only viper owners getting 1st crack at the certs, the web site, etc...Wait until things calm down & the masses & magazines see this car, it'll be WAAAAAAAY different. The team that designed this car will hopefully get what's coming to them - FIRED!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
With all due respect Joseph H.,
Some current Viper owners snapped up all the certificates because they are the only ones that can. I'm not arguing the fact that the SRT-10 will sell. In fact, I was stating just the opposite...there are more than enough non-Viper people ( posers ) in the marketplace that will love the more conventional and mainstream SRT-10...convenient convertible, more roomy comfortable interior, easy open hood in case they ever open it, not too radical in it's styling so they will still be accepted at the country club, etc.. Also, I've read a lot of member's comments about how caring DC is about us and how lucky we are that we are the only ones that can buy the 2003 even if there is no true enthusiast coupe model. Well think what DC did for itself. They immediately received the valuable marketing endorsement of former generation Viper owners that this is a true enthusiast performance car in spite of the acommodations made above to the mainstream ( posers ) buyers that can have what they want and brag to their country club buddies that it's a real performance car otherwise the original Viper owners would not have bought it. They also have sold their first year of production with it's inevitable first year bugs to it's most loyal customers instead of new customers that may complain more openly about problems. They can also charge whatever they want ( don't know $$$ yet!!! ) and say it is the right price to the marketplace since they sold out the first year of production and the buyers didn't even know what the final version looked like. Who is getting a deal here....DC? As far as the performance numbers go I can't wait for the mainstream buyer to pull up in their SRT-10 next to me.
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc