SRT/10 = Thumbs DOWN!

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've never Posted on this new Board but I just saw some actual pics of the new SRT/10 on another thread that one of our members Posted. I have to say that I wasn't impressed w/ this Viper. The engine is going to be incredible but the actual car itself doesn't strike me as, "Viper."

But when the RT/10 first came out I wasn't too thrilled either.

When the GTS came out in 96' I fell in love!
embarass.gif
This is my 3rd GTS and I'm eagerly awaiting for the arrival of the GTS Version of this car. I only hope Dodge stays true to form! I went to the Auto Show here in Houston & saw the GTS/R & it was hard for me to leave the building! Literally!!!! Never seen ANY car come close in looks - EVER - IMO!!

Always bought GTS's but why not give the SRT/10 some of that same Brute Flair? Some of that same Originality? I've never, to this point, ever looked at a Viper & thought it resembled another car. Let alone 2 or 3 other cars. When I saw the SRT/10, sure I thought of Viper, but also Jaguar, Corvette, Honda, Ram-Air Trans-Am, etc... Just curious as to how the majority of my fellow Viper owners feel about this.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey, your opinion seems to be the same as the majority of the GTS owners. The ones who seem to like the SRT/10 the most are current RT/10 owners.

FYI. If you are waiting for a GTS version of the SRT/10, be prepared to make it a long one. It was made very clear to us that at this point there are no plans to produce a Coupe version of the new style.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
Trey, your opinion seems to be the same as the majority of the GTS owners. The ones who seem to like the SRT/10 the most are current RT/10 owners.

FYI. If you are waiting for a GTS version of the SRT/10, be prepared to make it a long one. It was made very clear to us that at this point there are no plans to produce a Coupe version of the new style.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve,

But what about the GTS/R I saw at the Auto Show? I heard that was coming out in 04????? They have to give us a GTS version don't they?
crying.gif
crying.gif
crying.gif

That's the way it's always been done!

They better give us a GTS Version!!!
pissed.gif
pissed.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey, yes once they brought out a GTS version after the original roadster. But that does not oblige them to do it again. The GTS-R you saw will be available, but as a pure race car. As for a GTS in 2004, there is no possible way. Even if they did follow the same path as before you would still be looking at 2007, 4 years after the first, just like the first time.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing that is very interesting to note....

A looooong time ago, when the SRT pictures were FIRST posted, everyone hated the look. Then, I took the roof from an existing GTS and "photochopped" it onto the SRT. Everyone loved it (just about everyone).

Then, the GTS/R prototype came out and it looked almost exactly like the pictures I posted - except it had a scoop in the roof.

So, although a lot of people don't like the SRT, I think it's almost impossible to make the car look NEARLY as aggressive and sporty as the GTS, because you don't have the roofline to play with. Can you name any car that looks really aggressive in a convertible - or anywhere near as aggressive as a coupe version? I can't think of any.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike I asked that question a few days ago and Luc mentioned some old 60's Jags. Personaly, I don't like them so it really didn't sink in with me.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I can.

1.) 1966 427 Shelby Cobra
2.) 60's Grand Sport Corvette
3.) 50's Ferrari Testerossa
4.) Gen I & II Viper, very aggressive (not as much as the GTS)
5.) 60's Lister Corvette
*Probably more, but all I can think of right now.

It is harder to do, but I think it can be done. IMHO, the Gen I & II Viper RT10 had the drop-jaw aggressive styling that the Gen III does not. From 1992-2002, can you mistake a Viper for any other car? I don't think so.... Even at 100 yards away, you know it's a Viper. IMHO, the new styling looks too much like ever other sport convertible on the road (S2000, SLK, Sebring (from the rear), Camaro). I'm not saying the car looks exactly like these others, but from certain angles there are many similarities. I think that's what missing - styling that says, 'There is no other car like me'..... I feel the performance will say this, but unfortunately not the styling.

my .02 cents

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard quote:

It seems to me that many people confuse "Aggressive" looks with "Good" looks. Those terms are not interchangable

A car can be both, can't it? Can someone honestly say a Shelby 427 Cobra is not "Aggressive" AND "Great" looking? I feel the cars I named are all both. For example:

GREAT LOOKING/NOT AGGRESSIVE

1.) Porsche Boxster, 550 Spyder
2.) Mercedes Gullwing
3.) Many Jag's

AGGRESSIVE/NOT GREAT LOOKING

1.) Vector
2.) Lamborgini Countach
3.) Pantera
*To many sharp angles, IMHO. Although these cars look cool, I don't think there beautiful. More testosterone, than beauty.

AGGRESSIVE/GREAT LOOKING *Add more to the list

1.) Panoz Roadster
2.) 1962 Corvette Convertible
3.) 1967 Corvette Convertible

My .02 cents

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree w/ onerareviper & Mike Brunton,

I think (HOPE & PRAY) that when the GTS Version comes out - GAME OVER!!!!! I don't care how much they'd charge!!!! For the first time, for me anyway, money would be no object! I'd want one in 2 different colors!
smile.gif

I just feel that when you see this new Viper close up or far away - it "resembles" toooo many other cars out there. I really don't like the idea of a convertible for the Viper RT/10. I still love Viper don't get me wrong, I just hope Dodge "Gives the people what they want" so-to-speak, when the GTS comes. PLEASE EVEN.....if the Powers that Be are reading.

Clayton Kresge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I keep hearing that there are no plans to produce a GTS. I find this very hard to believe. A quick look at the production numbers elsewhere on this site shows that, since its introduction in '96, through the year 2000, the GTS has outsold the RT-10 over 2 to 1. Many past and current GTS owners, myself included, really won't get excited about the VGX as a street car until a coupe version is produced. This has been said many times, by many different GTS owners. Additionally, although the comp coupe is great, many more than the 25 people who will get the comp coupe, will want to track their cars, me included, and would prefer to do so with a coupe. Do you think all this is lost on DCX? I don't think so.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One interesting points:
SRT-10 + hardtop ~= Coupe styling. I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but picture an SRT in red with white racing stripes which carry over the red top -- I could see that being a strong, aggressive-looking car. You could also use black stripes to hide that funky camaro-style hood scoop.

TurboSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SRT-10 makes the current Viper look aged,I work for DC and I see them everyday,and when they are side by side the SRT definitely looks better any way you slice it.
(Its all opinion)

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by TurboSnake on 01-19-2002 at 06:08 PM</font>

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
"butt-ugly".
laugh.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'd better say that with a smile, if you're at all serious, 'god' will get you.

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well, not even RT/10 owners. At least not I. Thumbs down here.

I think Dodge wanted to discontinue the vipers, they were bored with the look but they were afraid to anger all the viper fans.

At the same time they were cooking on a different model, and some Genius figured it out... name the new thing a viper, and hope we don't catch on to the scheme.
Busted!

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by remster:
well, not even RT/10 owners. At least not I. Thumbs down here.

I think Dodge wanted to discontinue the vipers, they were bored with the look but they were afraid to anger all the viper fans.

At the same time they were cooking on a different model, and some Genius figured it out... name the new thing a viper, and hope we don't catch on to the scheme.
Busted!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree! Somethings going on!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
One interesting points:
SRT-10 + hardtop ~= Coupe styling. I'll reserve judgement until I see it, but picture an SRT in red with white racing stripes which carry over the red top -- I could see that being a strong, aggressive-looking car. You could also use black stripes to hide that funky camaro-style hood scoop.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am currently and RT owner who has had a deposit on an SRT for over a year. I too reserved judgement on the car until I had seen it in person. Well I saw it at the LA Auto Show and asked for my deposit back the next day, nuff said.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SoCal Rebell:
I am currently and RT owner who has had a deposit on an SRT for over a year. I too reserved judgement on the car until I had seen it in person. Well I saw it at the LA Auto Show and asked for my deposit back the next day, nuff said.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there ARE & WILL BE a whole lot of certificate holders that are going to be disappointed. But the GTS will not disappoint!

I think a lot of RT/10 owners will either have 2 Vipers then or sell their RT/10 to get the new body style GTS.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We Houston guys are out of control John! We got a lot on our mind & it all comes out when we get together! We're a pack of trouble makers & YOU ARE one of us!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well being at the factory last week and sitting in some of the pilot cars I did not fall in love with them, especially owning an awsome gts myself.That being said though the cars you have seen at the shows and such are going to look a little different than the actual production ones, there are going to be a couple of changes that make them look more aggressive.I don't know exactly what but there will be at least 2 as we were told.The interior is really slick and the seats are awesome and the exterior that everyone hates looks pretty good too definately better than the first rt/10's and if you put a slick set of wheels on those rt/10's they look as good as gts's. Put a couple of your own touch's maybe wheels and lowering springs and I think the srt10 will be a big hit.Oh yeah the new motor tachs about 800 rpm's higher also.

Reaction score
The RT10 and GTS body styling are hard to beat.

Team Viper asked the Viper Nation what do you want in the next generation and they sent out a questionnaire asking the same thing.

As I recall little was said about styling except that most owners wanted a real convertible.

Most owners wanted better brakes, more power, lighter curb weight, better 0-60, and 1/4 mile times. A dead peddle, cup holders, cruise control, etc.

We were given the changes and improvements that we wanted.

The 2003 GTS-R styling is very attractive to me.

The 2003 SRT/10 is not as dramatic as the 2003 GTSR but the current RT10 is not as dramatic as the GTS.

Bottom line my dealer (Stevens Creek Dodge) faxed my order last week.

I put a deposit on a 96RT-10 in Aug. of 95 and the feeling I have today is the same.

We were given what we wanted, moooooopower please.

And I like it!

My opinion only!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred - you are soooooo right. I was at those sessions at VOI5 in Las Vegas. Every time Team Viper (at that time) asked a question about what we wanted, i.e. Can the hood be conventional and not clamshell? What about a dead pedal? ABS? power seats? and there were more, the overwhelming response was this "We don't care, just make sure the car is faster, more powerful, lighter, more aerodynamic and not that much more expensive."

I specifically asked that they not take away the curves of a Viper - as I thought that was one of the sexiest things about hte car - the double bubble roof of the GTS, the good back end, the muscular lines. Everyone looked at me like I had 6 heads. "What's this chick talking about - we don't care about that - it's a VIPER!!! We'll love the new car. We only want it more powerful and better handling..." I could see it going through their heads.

Well my manly friends, looks like you are getting everything you asked for. It's a "more" car in every category - the focus was on performance and the styling was prompted by the direction to improve handling *** aerodynamics. Based on the fact that the car ois going back for some modifications, it just goes to show we (Viper owners) are a little more concerned wiht looks than we said we were.

Personally, I love the look of the Comp Coupe (and hopefully future GTS) and will be trying to get one - I am not a convertible person and I would not track the car, so the SRT is not for me. But its exactly what "you" asked for.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe at VOI5 Janni, but I was at the tech session at VOI 6 and during my waking moments all I heard was more power, more power, more power. While it’s true that I may have dosed off during the candyassed dead pedal questions the overwhelming request were for more power. I don’t think anybody suspected their request would lead to such a drastic body style change.

Oh well, in a few years when its released the GTS will finally win over the RT/10 in the looks department. And then there’s always that awesome Comp Coupe.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janni:
(and hoefully future GTS)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BTW Janni, typos like this can get you in big doo doo. Try to keep this site G-rated ok?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, Chuck - I am in complete agreement with you - the overwhelming sentiment was &lt;Tim the Tool Man Taylor grunting&gt; Give us more POWER!!!! &lt;/Tim the Tool Man Taylor grunting&gt; Every, and I mean every, sentiment was "as long as you improve the car's performance, we are ok with some adders", but making it heavier or slower or doing ANYTHING to it that decreased performance was verboten. There was a glaring absence of strong feelings in the styling department - maybe too much testosterone???

And I have editted my very "not PG rated" typo - I'll be more careful in the future.
tongue.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Reaction score
Team Viper should be thanked for asking what we wanted in a new car. And thanked again for delivering everything the majority wanted.

I bought the RT10(96)in Dec. of 95, because of its performance, I did like the styling. If the 92-96RT had a 5.9 V8 that pulled it along like a corvette then who cares not me! The Viper 92-95 reminded me of the Cobra that I did not buy. My First Big mistake was buying a new 69 corvette late in 1968 instead of a used 289 Cobra. To me the Viper RT was the Cobra of the 60's.

The styling and performance of the GTS produced in 96 was a 10/10. I ordered a GTS in late 96 and took delivery of a 97 GTS and became a ture Viperholic. The RT then stayed parked for most of the years that followed except for those special mornings and afternoons where the temperature was perfect. I sold the RT last year. The soft top was in the origional bag, still sealed.

Go back to 89 and replace the RT concept with the GTS. Let that thought sink in for a while. Then try to imagine what you would think or feel when the car that was produced was a RT10. Now that would have been disappointing! My Opinion and $.02

P.S. I for one like the 2003 SRT10! And the top can be put on without removing everything in the trunk. That was also one of the things most people wanted in a new open air Viper.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I was in the tech session at VOI5 also, and I remember asking that they not change what IS working, just change the stuff WE asked to change - ie more power, better brakes, etc, etc.

For example, I never felt the need to tell them to keep it a 2 seater - I assumed that by not mentioning that, I would not have to worry about the SRT being a 4-seater. I also didn't ask them to put bigger rubber on it, assuming it would be at least as big as before. I never asked for a rearview mirror, or for a manual 6-speed tranny. I figured all that stuff would be there by default.

I *assumed* the looks would be aggressive too. MANY more comments were made on the stling than were made on going to an automatic tranny - yet they changed the styling (many think for the worse), but retained the tranny that nobody talked about.

And since they are now revisiting the design and 'adjusting' it, it's clear that they are hearing us - which is good. I have faith that the SRT that actually makes it into our hands will be seductively fast, outlandishly aggressive, and will give me a bigger boot in the a$$ than the green Giant after discoving me stealing his peas.

Bring it on! And I will tame it. Oh, yes.. I will.
smile.gif

Reaction score
Mike agree,
Ricard agree.

Forgot one very important item we wanted to retain the V10.

If the styling was as striking as the 2003 GTSR concept(not possible in my opinion) but the performance slipped a little would you buy the car? I would not buy the new SRT if it were not King of The Hill!

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
HAVE TO SAY IMHO I DO NOT LIKE THE SRT-10. I DON'T CARE WHAT THEY DO TO IT IT WILL NEVER LOOK AS BAD ASP AS THE CURRENT GTS. THEY NAILED THE EXTERIOR DESIGN WITH THE GEN 2 IN THE TRUE CHARACTER OF WHAT A VIPER IS. IF THEY DON'T BUILD A NEW SGTS I'LL NEVER BUY A NEW VIPER AND I WON'T SELL MY GTS IN SPITE OF IT'S HIGH POTENTIAL FUTURE VALUE IF THEY DON'T BUILD A NEW SGTS.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude