SRT Coupes: What is your stereo setup?

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just wondering what you guys with coupes are running for your audio setup. My Vert had the passenger foot well sub and I'd rather not go that route again.

With the coupe, can you just put a sub in the trunk?

What speakers/ amp are you guys running?

My last car had the stereo already done, and I honestly don't know anything about car audio so any help would be great.

It would be great if you guys could give me options with a $1000 and $2000 budget.

Thanks!

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, maybe I can help. I just installed a complete system in my car because it had none before (******** Package). Anyway, I went with a Kenwood KDC-X917 for the head unit, JL Audio HD 900/5 amp, JL Audio CS110LG-TW3 10" Sub & box and finally a set of Kicker QS65.5 components for the doors. I might have $1,400 in the whole system including good wires for everything. For the money you can't do much better as far as sound quality and volume go. I picked the Kenwood KDC-X917 because the face plate matches the shifter bezel and it is a great h/u in general. Most people would not guess I'm only running 4 speakers and a single 10"sub. :headbang: And one more thing, the Kicker QS series was and is probably the best speakers they have EVER MADE!! They sound better than the JL XR's I have in my truck.

Last edited:

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any pics of the QS install? How did they fit? I would think for sure they would be too big. I installed those in my liberty. Great speakers!

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am assuming you had to cut out the fiberglass bucket portion of the door for the speaker basket to fit?

OP
OP
H

hyph

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, maybe I can help. I just installed a complete system in my car because it had none before (******** Package). Anyway, I went with a Kenwood KDC-X917 for the head unit, JL Audio HD 900/5 amp, JL Audio CS110LG-TW3 10" Sub & box and finally a set of Kicker QS65.5 components for the doors. I might have $1,400 in the whole system including good wires for everything. For the money you can't do much better as far as sound quality and volume go. I picked the Kenwood KDC-X917 because the face plate matches the shifter bezel and it is a great h/u in general. Most people would not guess I'm only running 4 speakers and a single 10"sub. :headbang: And one more thing, the Kicker QS series was and is probably the best speakers they have EVER MADE!! They sound better than the JL XR's I have in my truck.

This is what I was looking for, thanks!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And one more thing, the Kicker QS series was and is probably the best speakers they have EVER MADE!! They sound better than the JL XR's I have in my truck.
Sound quality your system produces has very little to do with the amount of money you spend on the speakers, especially components using passive crossovers. I LOL'ed big time reading this statement. If you spend time doing custom install and running active system, you will be surprised how much better your sound will be using considerably cheaper equipment. If you like it, one thing but claiming one brand is best ever is another. Experiment a bit with speaker placement and aiming, may save you big bucks.

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sound quality your system produces has very little to do with the amount of money you spend on the speakers, especially components using passive crossovers. I LOL'ed big time reading this statement. If you spend time doing custom install and running active system, you will be surprised how much better your sound will be using considerably cheaper equipment. If you like it, one thing but claiming one brand is best ever is another. Experiment a bit with speaker placement and aiming, may save you big bucks.

Sounds like you one of those internet forum EXPERTS.......:rolleyes: You are correct about placement but other than that I'm not impressed. :2tu:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you one of those internet forum EXPERTS.......:rolleyes: You are correct about placement but other than that I'm not impressed. :2tu:
Uhm no, I've been messing with car audio for many years, trying out a lot of equipment and building a bit of fiberglass stuff IN REAL LIFE. Sorry, I just find your statement regarding Kicker comps hilarious.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you miss the part where he said they were the best components "they" ever made. Referring to the best components Kicker ever made. His opinion is not all that laughable. You do tend to come off argumentative on the forums. If your going to have an opposing view why not try and provide some reasoning or options instead of coming off as a keyboard warrior.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you miss the part where he said they were the best components "they" ever made. Referring to the best components Kicker ever made. His opinion is not all that laughable. You do tend to come off argumentative on the forums. If your going to have an opposing view why not try and provide some reasoning or options instead of coming off as a keyboard warrior.
Uhm, I don't know what THEY really means? Seems pretty confusing considering JL comps are mentioned at the same time as well? Do you think I should just start practicing nodding my head to blend in better?:dunno:

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uhm, I don't know what THEY really means? Seems pretty confusing considering JL comps are mentioned at the same time as well? Do you think I should just start practicing nodding my head to blend in better?:dunno:

Yes, and you could at the very least pull your head out of your _ _ _!

Last edited:

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, and you could at the very least pull your head out of your ass!
Likewise:2tu: I think this is the time for me to bite my lip regarding your choice of components and your install. Happy listening.

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likewise:2tu: I think this is the time for me to bite my lip regarding your choice of components and your install. Happy listening.

Unless you have sat in my car and heard those speakers you have no ground to stand on! The QS65.5 was built to compete with the rest of the high end speakers out there like it or not. Now go waste some other forums time......:rolleyes:

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stuff I used is listed in my signature...the speakers came with the car when I bought it. They were being powered by a pair of small Treo amps...I ditched those in favor of the single Kenwood amp that fits under the passenger seat where the stock one used to reside (it's a tight fit).

It sounds really good with the engine off, the engine really drowns out a lot of it when going down the road (especially the bass). I'm happy with it though.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you have sat in my car and heard those speakers you have no ground to stand on! The QS65.5 was built to compete with the rest of the high end speakers out there like it or not. Now go waste some other forums time......:rolleyes:
Did not mean to bruise your ego. Personally, I would just mount the drivers coaxially instead of hacking out another hole in the door but this is just me. Considering the low hi pass point and second order crossover filter, these tweets should be really aimed on axis with the listener.

I think I'll pass on sitting in your car to confirm certain things like low stage and lack of imaging among other things, LOL. BTW, these comps have rather large tweets and it really helps to aim them toward the listener to prevent premature acoustic impedance rise in high freq region, especially considering that no matter how big those passives are, they still lack tweeter attenuation circuit. Nevertheless, this is a car forum and your install is typical. Once again, happy listening.:2tu:

FastGuy68

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did not mean to bruise your ego. Personally, I would just mount the drivers coaxially instead of hacking out another hole in the door but this is just me. Considering the low hi pass point and second order crossover filter, these tweets should be really aimed on axis with the listener.

I think I'll pass on sitting in your car to confirm certain things like low stage and lack of imaging among other things, LOL. BTW, these comps have rather large tweets and it really helps to aim them toward the listener to prevent premature acoustic impedance rise in high freq region, especially considering that no matter how big those passives are, they still lack tweeter attenuation circuit. Nevertheless, this is a car forum and your install is typical. Once again, happy listening.:2tu:

PLEASE, PLEASE go crawl back into the hole you came out of! Your not impressing anyone with your blabber about car audio. Why don't you go buy a $100,000.00 car and hack it up to get a perfect sound stage then come back and let me know how that works out for ya.........you belong on DIYMA not here!!

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PLEASE, PLEASE go crawl back into the hole you came out of! Your not impressing anyone with your blabber about car audio. Why don't you go buy a $100,000.00 car and hack it up to get a perfect sound stage then come back and let me know how that works out for ya.........you belong on DIYMA not here!!
Such hostility, ouch!!! LMAO. Seriously now, you would fit considerably better on DIYMA than I.:lmao:

car-hor

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I run pretty much the same setup in all my cars. In the Viper, I did the following:

Pioneer DEH-80PRS Head Unit
Arc Audio KS300.4 Amp
Image Dynamics XS-65 Comps in the doors
Image Dynamics ID10 Sub in the trunk

Michael

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm here to help completely derail this thread......

I swapped out my POS OEM head unit with one I found on AliExpress. It's the OEM shape, OEM plug/adapter, and they even have the ballz to use the OEM font on the buttons. :)
- AM/FM/CD
- 5" touch screen
- DVD player
- (2) Video inputs; (2) Video outputs (I have front & rear cameras)
- Bluetooth
- Streaming Bluetooth Audio
- Navigation
- USB and SD card jacks

$400. shipped. :)

Is it Kenwood or Pioneer or some other big name brand? No.
Did it make me install components all over the interior of the car? No.
Does it look OEM? Yep.
Does it do what I need a head unit to do? Yep.

I still use the OEM spreakens, because.....well, for the most part I'm in the "all I hear is exhaust and tire squeal" camp.
:D

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I swapped out my POS OEM head unit with one I found on AliExpress. It's the OEM shape, OEM plug/adapter, and they even have the ballz to use the OEM font on the buttons. :)
- AM/FM/CD
- 5" touch screen
- DVD player
- Bluetooth
- Navigation
- USB and SD card jacks

Does it look OEM? Yep.

I still use the OEM spreakens, because.....well, for the most part I'm in the "all I hear is exhaust and tire squeal" camp.

Does it have RCA outs on the back?

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score

- AM/FM/CD
- 5" touch screen
- DVD player
- Bluetooth
- Navigation
- USB and SD card jacks

Does it look OEM? Yep.

That's pretty pricey for a chinese knockoff.

I just ordered up everything for my stereo upgrade.
Kenwood KIV-701
Polk DB651s 6.5" door speakers(only direct swap speakers out there from what I read)
Metra dash kit
Metra Harness kit
Ipod cable

All in it was 360$

Then I also ordered a custom sub box for the bulkhead with an 8" sub(I have a vert), from a forum member here. 320$ shipped.

Just have to find a decent 5 channel amp now to run everything, since there isn't really any space to add another amp just for the sub.

Shop around on Amazon and you can find pretty damn good deals on legit name brand quality stuff.

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you guys post up pics of your sub boxes? The one that came with mine is nice and heavy, but it doesn't have anything holding it in place, and takes up a lot of room back there. Just seeing if there are any other solutions that might work better...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper