SRT Coupes: What is your stereo setup?

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. Not that one. A few other Viper owners have tried that model with not-so-good results.
The one I got has received much better reviews and the seller actually speaks English quite well. :)

Yes- the manual ***** and you'll spend some time figuring stuff out on your own, but....the learning curve is small.

That's pretty pricey for a chinese knockoff.

I just ordered up everything for my stereo upgrade.
Kenwood KIV-701
Polk DB651s 6.5" door speakers(only direct swap speakers out there from what I read)
Metra dash kit
Metra Harness kit
Ipod cable

All in it was 360$

Then I also ordered a custom sub box for the bulkhead with an 8" sub(I have a vert), from a forum member here. 320$ shipped.

Just have to find a decent 5 channel amp now to run everything, since there isn't really any space to add another amp just for the sub.

Shop around on Amazon and you can find pretty damn good deals on legit name brand quality stuff.
The 701 is a nice head unit, but has been discontinued. And BT is extra $$$, with extra hardware. Also, no Nav and only (1) camera input.
I didn't want a single-DIN and a plate. That looks hokey to me.

BTW- the KIV-BT901 is the latest model, and it has BT built-in (and is cheaper).

Does it have RCA outs on the back?
Yes.

That sounds cool Kevan where did you get it?? any pics?
Depends. Are you formerly "1fast400"?

billseast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This on fits in the stock location. I'm thinking about another design for the trunk that will not take any space out of the trunk.

You must be registered for see images attach

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 701 is a nice head unit, but has been discontinued. And BT is extra $$$, with extra hardware. Also, no Nav and only (1) camera input.

BTW- the KIV-BT901 is the latest model, and it has BT built-in (and is cheaper).

Discontinued is probably why I got a good deal on it. Still a new unit that functions well though.

I didn't care much about BT for the Viper, wouldn't be able to hear **** with the top down anyway. Guess it would be more of a concern to you coupe guys.

I would've went double din, but I have NAV on my phone and a dash kit for it costs an arm and a leg. I just wanted a decent head unit for ipod play, and some better sound.

1 video input is fine, the rear view camera only needs one input.

KIV-901 is still 40$ more expensive than the 701 on Amazon. Not sure where you're seeing it as cheaper?

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No. Not that one. A few other Viper owners have tried that model with not-so-good results.
The one I got has received much better reviews and the seller actually speaks English quite well. :)

Yes- the manual ***** and you'll spend some time figuring stuff out on your own, but....the learning curve is small.

Yes.

Depends. Are you formerly "1fast400"?
Nope..my 1 and only screen name. also on Bimmerfest!

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Discontinued is probably why I got a good deal on it. Still a new unit that functions well though.

I didn't care much about BT for the Viper, wouldn't be able to hear **** with the top down anyway. Guess it would be more of a concern to you coupe guys.

I would've went double din, but I have NAV on my phone and a dash kit for it costs an arm and a leg. I just wanted a decent head unit for ipod play, and some better sound.

1 video input is fine, the rear view camera only needs one input.

KIV-901 is still 40$ more expensive than the 701 on Amazon. Not sure where you're seeing it as cheaper?
Yeah. Us coupe guys get the advantage of being able to hear (on occasion. LOL)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33453_Kenwood-KIV-BT901.html

I have 2 cameras on the car. Rear, obviously for backing up; front because the CF splitter on the car is uncheap. :D

Nope..my 1 and only screen name. also on Bimmerfest!
Just had to check. :)
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/231296653.html
That's the one I got.

The BT is great, esp. the streaming audio. As soon as I turn the car on, music starts. Don't even have to plug my phone in!

The map is a cracked version, so it's not updatable (no biggie; I have my phone).
The processor is kinda slow, but......it gets the job done. Considering how much stuff's going on in there, I'm really not surprised.
There is a 'master' switch for one of the camera inputs. THAT one is *instant*; I hit the button and everything mutes and the camera image comes up immediately. I like that.
I'm still working on the light dimming; I'm not sure if it's hooked up in the back or not. I thought we did, but....

For $400, I'm okay with the shortcomings and will modify and work around as needed.
It sure beats the $2000+ for the RB1 that has 1/4 the features.

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your information. Is there no way to add a BT module to the RB1? Also, if you have the metra harness, do you have to replace the factory amp?

apeas2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viktimize, do u have a pic of your sub box? Also, can u tell me where you got it? Thanks.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for your information. Is there no way to add a BT module to the RB1? Also, if you have the metra harness, do you have to replace the factory amp?
There are ways to add UConnect to the RB1, but it is complex and expensive. The "dealer add on" kit works, but it's obnoxious and large; the one from the factory requires finding a complete working one, then complete dash removal for installation. You also get a much larger rear view mirror and more wiring.

And no BT audio with UConnect.
No iPod connect; no DVD; no camera inputs.

The RB1 is a nice unit (I had it in my truck), but I went a little different route this time.