SRT Engine Failure With Less Than 1k Miles Clocked

OP
OP
L

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with you, agentf1. The LS1 and LS6 engines have their problems too. I would have to say the new engines are more technician friendly than the earlier LT1 - LT4 engines.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course there is going to be a small percentage of engines (all makes and models) that have problems but for the most part the LS1 and LS6 are extremely reliable and durable engines that will run well over 100,000 miles trouble free if taken care of properly. I know there are some issues with the 01 LS6 burning oil but that seems to be resolved with the 02's on up and it did not effect reliability or durability. I think the small block chevy is probably one of the best engines out there and always has been hence why it is in so many street rods/race cars etc. What problems are you referring to? I know of no major issues.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike, I do apologize as I reread devildogs post and did not realize he was only talking about built engines. I was basing my opinion mostly on stock engines. But will still say that there are plenty of built/supercharged vettes out there with well over 40k with no problems. I think Lingenfelter even offers a 36K warranty with his.

OP
OP
L

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course there is going to be a small percentage of engines (all makes and models) that have problems but for the most part the LS1 and LS6 are extremely reliable and durable engines that will run well over 100,000 miles trouble free if taken care of properly. I know there are some issues with the 01 LS6 burning oil but that seems to be resolved with the 02's on up and it did not effect reliability or durability. I think the small block chevy is probably one of the best engines out there and always has been hence why it is in so many street rods/race cars etc. What problems are you referring to? I know of no major issues.

The LS1, LS6 and V10 all have similar problems in the area of oil starvation causing overheating and finally connecting rod failure. Some of this is caused by harmonics and vibration from sustained high rpm and some is due to block flex.
BTW, there are more than just a couple high mileage Gen1 and Gen2 powered Viper's out cruising the streets with almost 100,000 on the odo. Guess what? No major problems.

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amen Larry - I can attest to hard mileage and very very few problems. (knock on wood)

I have 50k miles on the car.... 565 at the wheels on motor and big numbers on the squeeze!

Regards,