SRT Engineer Chat HERE on September 19th!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Nader 2) "There are many Gen III Viper owners who change out their spark plugs and wires very early in the life of the car. Do you see any benefit in doing so based on what you know about the stock plugs and wires? Are there any deficiencies with the stock pieces or are the aftermarket just that much better?

The "factory" wires and plugs are selected based on several requirements. Are there better spark plugs available - sure! The original plugs are a good compromise between cost and performance and many other higher price plugs may perform better under some operating conditions. Be cautious about changing heat range of the plug, the original plugs meet our temperature requirements over the entire operating range of the engine - they have good anti-fouling characteristics at light load while not exceeding the maximum tip temps at full load/high speed. Many precious metal plugs as long as they have similar heat ranges should be fine and may offer some improvement.

Be very careful with aftermarket plug wires. Many wires do not have the EMI/RFI protection that is needed to not interfere with the operation of the ECU. You will almost surely have problems by installing a solid core wire! The standard plug wires wok very well and last a long time - save your money!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can you please list the Gallons Per Minute per 1000RPM (GPM/1000RPM) of the new 2008 oil pump Versus the 03-06 pump, and also the 92-02 pump?

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive: I was recently at VIR and heard that the 08 viper smoked all competition on the Grand course (as in beat the record by over a second). I've read all of the recent magazines and they mention VIR, but I didn't see the fact that the Viper set a new record. Can you confirm?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
sssweet (two questions) - 1) I own a 2002 GTS Final Edition... Would like to change the wheels to the five-spoke which are on the Gen 3 and Gen 4. Will they fit or are modifications necessary? I know the rears would be 19" instead of the original 18", but the new wheels would be for street application only and I would retain the old wheels for track use.

It has been done before however, the tire has more of a tendancy to rub on the wheel liner when cycling the suspension

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
4) Can you confirm whether the factory fill motor oil is still Mobil 0w40 synthetic?;
Yes!

5) Can you confirm the break-in procedure for the 2008s?

Please refer to the 2008 Owner's manual for the Viper's break in procedure....the standard rules apply:

For the first 500 miles (800 km):​
Keep your vehicle speed below the legal, posted speed limit and your engine speed below 4,000 rpm.

Wait until the engine has reached normal operating temperature before driving at the recommended maximum break-in speed.
Check the engine oil level at every fuel fill.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
What have the new owners said about the future of SRT? You guys ARE making money...RIGHT?
At least tell us "not to worry".:headbang:

PBR
During interactions with our new management we have only heard positive reactions with respect to our SRT models. Please feel free to send a note to Chrylser telling them how happy you are with your SRT vehicle!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
From post #2

3) Many of us are running aftermarket computer programs in the car for added power. I am running DC Performance programming. Aside from the performance tuning, this programming adjusts the temperature of the car by regulating the fan as well as utilizing a 180 degree Thermostat. Car runs great and is much cooler. With the added performance and cooler temps, it was my favorite mod. My question is - with the engine running cooler, are there any concerns especially when driving the car in the cold months?

Ambient Temperatures below freezing could be a concern.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In regards to gears again: If you could put any ratio in the rearend is there any one ratio you would put in for an a mostly street driven car?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
:drive: I was recently at VIR and heard that the 08 viper smoked all competition on the Grand course (as in beat the record by over a second). I've read all of the recent magazines and they mention VIR, but I didn't see the fact that the Viper set a new record. Can you confirm?

Man, it was sweet to be there when it happened. The Corvette time was from earlier C&D testing and we're pretty sure it was on a much cooler day. The time will probably never be official because it was not done during the C&D event even though Gilles drove. He didn't do a bunch of laps, either. We are looking forward to cutting an even faster time during the upcoming '08 competition this fall.

Jerz Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to chat.

When will the Aero package be available for the '08? I ordered GTS Blue coupe and would like to have that factory installed
Thanks

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok so this is more of a statement than a question, but I recently took the Chrysler survey that asked about a factory sponsored Viper in ALMS. Is this a real possibility? Call me old fashion, but rooting for the Viper in Formula "D" just isnt the same!

:eater:

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
I plan on dynoing my 2008 Viper after about 500-1,500 miles of driving. What is the driveline loss percentage for the 2008? From a previous post on this forum, someone stated that 12% driveline loss was the correct figure. Is this accurate?

Safe rule of thumb is 12-15%.....

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What's your opinion on Danica Patrick's ability to drive a real car?

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
Nadern 4) Getting back the tuning, one of the benefits of the performance tune is it leans out the mid range. The stock program at times felt a bit sluggish in mid ranges bursts. Now with the new program, it is instant power and really screams.

Is there a reason why the car is programmed to run rich in the mid range from the factory?

Nader - Several variables are part of the equation when calibrating the fuel curves. Things like knock sensitivity, catalyst temperatures, valve temperatures, piston temperatures and spark plug temperatures are all dramatically impacted by fueling. We calibrate the engine as lean as we can in order to satisfy all of our durability requirements for all of the engine components. It is true that leaning out the mixture at some (but not all) conditions will produce more power but at the cost of component durability! Also, keep in mind that there are other enrichment factors that can come into play, especially on a chassis dyno, that can give you more fuel than you might otherwise normally have if things like air and water temperatures are not controlled well. Also, chassis dyno noise can be interpreted as knock by the ECU and it will pull out spark and add fuel so don't always believe what you see there!

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
What's the inside diameter size of the headers on the '03-06? Is it 1.5 inches? If it is, why so small for a cylinder that size? Is it the same size for 2008?

Yes, the pipe is 1.5 id....it was picked for packaging concerns and to help the low end torque....

RC Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK We have the Charger re-make already and the Challenger next year. When do you guys plan a Superbird debut? I have dreams of seeing new 20 foot long winged warriors coming down the street (as you can tell by my signature I am the proud owner of a 440 + 6 bird).

Seriously, do any of you guys mess around with the old muscle (Vipers distant relative)?

(Y2KSRT: I assume this is an outrageous enough new product comment that it doesn't need deleted!)

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are the overall performance parameters of the 2008 Coupes (not the CC) more condusive or favorable to some forms/classes of racing where Dodge has been absent in recent years -- like ALMS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456