SRT Live Chat - June 13th at 6:00 PM EDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From 6:00 to 8:00 PM Eastern time on Wednesday, June 13th you will have the opportunity to speak with the engineers from SRT. This is your chance to chat directly with SRT employees about the Viper platform - be it old or new. Just understand that ALL questions about future product (anything beyond the already published 2008 model) will be ignored if not deleted by our moderating staff first. DCX/SRT personnel are strictly forbidden from commenting about future product, so don't waste your typewriting. Our moderators will be standing by and will delete without warning - other than this one. ;) The thread for the chat itself is here:

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=603092

It will be opened up at 6:00 PM EDT on June 13th. In the meantime, you are welcome to ask questions in advance here on this thread, which the VCA website staff will post in the chat thread beforehand.

Given the incredible popularity of this offer, we will need to restrict questions to VCA Members and Viper Owners at this time. Also note that we will be placing those "pre-questions" from VCA Members first, simply because we would like to reward those folks that have paid to support this site and the Viper Club of America.

So start asking your questions now and we look forward to seeing everybody interact with our friends at SRT this coming Wednesday!

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Y2K5SRT --

Thanks for making this chat available. This may fall under the heading of "future product" but since it involves the 2008 model, here is my question:

"I have a 2008 Viper convertible on order and am interested in installing the Mopar aftermarket parts that were shown at the Detroit (and other) auto shows this past winter. What is the current status/availability of the following Mopar parts:

- Tubular Exhaust Header Package
- High-flowing, Cat-Back Exhaust System; and
- Low-restriction, functional Cold Air Intake System

I have also been informed that the installation of the following non-Mopar parts from SRT that were featured on the Detroit concept coupe will void the vehicle warranty:

- Titanium Valves and Connecting Rods
- Cast Litex Pistons and Lightened Crankshaft
- High Flow Intake Manifold with Polished Upper
- Carbon Fiber Coil Covers and Crinkle Black Valve Covers

Can you confirm this?

Thanks for your help."

/Rich

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. What new parts from the 2008 can be used in the 2003 through 2006 cars? I understand the new rear end is a plug and play swap.

2. Will the new hood fit without modification of the brackets, etc.?

3. Will the new larger oil pump be a simple swap out? I heard that it will be possible to use it but additional mods are needed - what mods?

4. I heard that the new clutch and transmission will not fit the 2003 through 2006 cars. Is this correct? Is it possible to use some of the parts of the 2008 transmission to improve the performance of the 2003 through 2006 transmissions, e.g. cones and synchros?

5. Will the flat repair device from the SRT 8's be used in the 2008 Viper?

6. Why do the run flats lose air so quickly? Is it the sidewall hardness?

7. How were you able to eliminate the crossover pipes in the 2008 and keep the noise level within federal drive by guidelines? Bigger mufflers? Will the new exhaust system from the cats back fit the 2003 through 2006 cars?

8. Does the 2008 use the same window regulator? If not, what was changed? Some of us have had to change out the regulators because one or both did not properly raise and/ or lower the window(s) on door opening and/or closing.

9. What is the MSRP of the 2008 base model before customization?

10. I understand that there are currently 2008 Vipers in build status. Is this true? If so, will the 2008 be available before September?

11. Will the new computer in the 2008 be tunable within the module or will tuners be locked out of the code?

12. I understand that with a little computer reprogramming that the 2008 engine is capable of close to 700 flywheel HP while maintaining a safe air fuel ratio. Is this correct?
How much additional flywheel HP over 600 is safely, from an engine integrity point of view, available from the new engine?

13. I have heard that because of the VVT, the cam within a cam, the higher compression ratio, and the much more complicated new programming that it is unlikely that a simple, reliable supercharger upgrade like the current Paxton kit for the 2003 through 2006 cars will be availble for at least 18 months to two years. And, even when it is available, it will not be simple since the engine will have to be modified to lower the compression before the use of a supercharger. Correct?

14. I understand that the 2008 will use the same pistons as those used in the SRT 8's. Are these qualitatively better than the pistons that were used in the 2003 through 2006 cars?

Thank you in advance for your answers and keep up the good work.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The above two posts ask most of my questions but I have one more. Is the travel of the 2008 stick shifter similar to that of the aftermarket Hurst short shifter on my 2003 viper? Is the stick itself shorter?

06blackviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd like to know more about the exhaust of the 2008.
1. will the restriction and sound be similar to the 2006 model?
2. will i get as big of a horsepower gain by going to a corsa exhaust as i did in my 06?
3. is there a performance mopar cat back system available yet?
4.will the corsa system that i put on my 06 also fit the 08?
5. is corsa or borla manufacturing the exhaust for mopar aftermarket or ome?

i have a 08 on order and would like to have woodhouse do the exhaust before its delivered to me.
thanks

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Side Sills: will these be easier to take off on the 08?... compared to the 03-06 side-sill 10mm nut closest the front wheel arch which is difficult to access and remove..

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another question. It seems alot of viper owers change the exhaust system in short order. Unless there are emissions issues(which I am sure is probably the answer)...if you can have color options, interior options...why not exhaust options. I am sure a number owners are looking at that NA 675 h.p. show car and seeing what can be easily exchanged on the car to push the horsepower.

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In what areas did the new Viper gain weight? Has the interior heat management been addressed?

If I could make an addition to this question:

1) Has the 2008 Viper in fact gained weight? It seems that some component changes would result in weight loss: For example, elimination of crossover pipe in the exhaust system, switching from runflat Michelin Pilot Sport ZP tires to nonrunflat Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires.

2) If Viper has gained weight or is the same weight as the 2003-2006 models, what accounts for that? What other components have gotten heavier to offset the weight reductions above?

Thanks.

/Rich

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve owned a 2000 GTS and currently own a 2005 SRT/10. I’m 6’2’’ and in both cars I’ve had too put in an aftermarket seat lowering kit, to improve my visibility out of the windshield. Any talk of this issue at DCX?

FASTFUN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2006. I have added Corsa exhaust witch has eliminated the cross over. The driver’s side exhaust manifold was changed out because it had a crack, when I had my Corsa installed. The driver’s side shows a lot more carbon build up than the passenger side (300 miles).
My viper tech stated that the computer needs to learn (1,000 miles) from possibly compensating for the cracked manifold. I do not have any check engine light.I have about 2600 miles on my Viper. Please advise!:usa:
P.S. I LOVE MY VIPER!!!!!!!!!!!:drive:

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disconnect your battery for thirty minutes. Reconnect. This clears out the adaptive memory for the prior problem and should expedite the reeducation of your computer.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
7. How were you able to eliminate the crossover pipes in the 2008 and keep the noise level within federal drive by guidelines? Bigger mufflers? Will the new exhaust system from the cats back fit the 2003 through 2006 cars?

Intake is quieter, non runflat tires are quieter. We tuned this as a complete system and optimized weight reduction and backpressure reduction without exceeding the federal requirements. I think you'll like the way it sounds.

SRT Engineers

SRT Engineers
VCA Member
Reaction score
i'd like to know more about the exhaust of the 2008.
1. will the restriction and sound be similar to the 2006 model?
2. will i get as big of a horsepower gain by going to a corsa exhaust as i did in my 06?
3. is there a performance mopar cat back system available yet?
4.will the corsa system that i put on my 06 also fit the 08?
5. is corsa or borla manufacturing the exhaust for mopar aftermarket or ome?

i have a 08 on order and would like to have woodhouse do the exhaust before its delivered to me.
thanks

1. it's less restrictive and a bit louder.

2. i don't know what kind of power increase you got when you put on your corsa

3. working on it

4. should fit as the p-points are the same

5. we typically use aftermarket manufacturers but we're not sure which one we'll end up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang