SRT Supporter & I question the revisions.

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Richard,

It's not so much that we don't like the SRT - we just don't like the fact that the SRT is the only Viper we had to choose from. I'm not too thrilled about the RT-10 either. I've contemplated buying one for a change of pace (keeping my GTS as well of course) but the GTS just does it for me personally. I've found out that a GTS version is definitely coming - so I really don't mind the SRT at all. I can keep my GTS until a street legal CC or GTS comes out, then buy that too.
smile.gif

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if any DC execs that may use this board would utilize information from it to change things, but rest assured there are many DC execs that partake in the Viper ownership experience and, as owners, are as interested in the board as other owners. Certainly some comments make it back to PVO via this method (non-direct). PVO may also have employees reviewing the site and gleaning information.

That said it is doubtful that anything stated on this board regarding the appearance directly resulted in revisions. Changes occur in every vehicle due to a variety of causes. The changes that are mentioned above could just as easily been the result of product development needs for functionality, manufacturing or, as was stated, appearance.

Ron

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys like Steve and Joe have said in the past that it's a virtual certainty that at any given point during the day, someone from Dodge is on this site.

You can rest assured that they know very well how some folks feel about the car - on BOTH sides of the issue. However, here is my take on things...

1) Regarding the 'adjustments' made. Whether they had anything to do directly with feedback from this site I do not know, but I REALLY doubt it. Think about it - would they change a car targeted to thousands because of the comments of (at most) a hundred or so? I think its more likely that they had some changes in mind anyways, and the 'adjustments' are just that. We have known all along that the SRT's we've been seeing are preproduction versions. Its not like they read this board and said "oh my god, they hate it! Quick, lets change it!".

2) DC isn't NEARLY as swayed (I dont think) by the comments of small groups as some folks think. A bunch of us loving the SRT and asking for something holds very little weight in the grand scheme, just like a bunch of folks complaining does.

3) Please please please don't think that I have any inside info on why the changes were made - but I am sure that it had nothing to do with a bunch of complaints. Let's NOT get into a situation where the whiners whine louder hoping it will help, and the non-whiners speak ever louder to keep the SRT like it is - I do know one thing for sure - that will have ZERO effect except to raise tensions.

4) There is NO DOUBT in my mind that if NOBODY had EVER said ANYTHING about the SRT, the changes that have been made would still have been made.

As for the coupe thing - Trey, where did ya hear that? I've heard the opposite, so I was just curious. Is it a really reliable source or what?

Thanks,
Mike

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brad Manhattan Beach broke it to me on another thread. He made a lot of sense in a lot of areas! IMO. You did say on another thread (Black is Back! Pics) Mike that the changes to the SRT were "Directly" because of THIS Board. Don't worry, whiners won't whine louder, but you did say it.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is no flame! I'm not in the mood. But I'm just wodering how you could post that, and I can't quote you because I'm not gonna look it up, no-one from Dodge is actually listening to anyone on this board - and that if you think they still are, then you're wrong. Something like that.

But now that you'd like a concern addressed, you're speaking as if they actually are listening. <u>And according to Mike Brunton, one of the biggest & 1st SRT supporters BTW, they definitely are listening & specifically changed the SRT because of this board</u>.

When you made that post way back whenever, were you stating an opinion of yours or were you giving us 1st hand information that you specifically had? Just curious because when you said it, it kinda stuck in my head because #1 it made no sense to me & #2 I'd never heard <u>ANYONE</u> on this board ever say anything like that.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
Woo-hoo! A whole new kind of whiner!
He likes the old SRT-10, not the new SRT-10.
Boy this might get complicated...

laugh.gif
(Just teasing you Richard.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was actually going to say the EXACT same thing but he would've definitely thought it was a flame because of our last run in.

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gee would it be so wrong for Dodge to just admit that any version of the SRT exterior styling was a mistake and to now try again to re-do it as much as possible in the style of the current Gen II?

Let's keep as much of the old body style as possible, even the old $10,000 hood, give us all the promised SRT performance enhancements (which we all hope will be there in the finished product since they haven't been too visible in anything published yet...why give those car magazines mules to drive anyways?), and, yeah, charge us a bit more than originally planned for the re-re-tooling? I'd feel better paying more money for great looks and great performance than less money for the performance with mediocre looks.

I'll even let 'em keep those silly new VERTICAL gauges which might tempt you to really take your eyes far from the road...changed my mind...let's keep a little more of the GenII interior with horizontal gauges...some of us drive our snakes faster than say, a Camry, and staring way down at a gauge at high speed just ain't too bright...

Just my .02 and probably worth just about that.

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trey,

I dont know exactly what I said before and I am too lazy to go look it up, but here's the deal.

I heard that Dodge had adjusted the original design because of feedback from folks that thought it should be a little more "bubbly". That feedback probably came from marketing surveys or something. I also know that folks from Dodge read this site and that they are aware that alot of existing owners dont like the SRT all that much - so some of that feedback came directly from this site.

Due to those two things, adjustments were made to the car. The SRT we've seen at shows is a preproduction model, so its pretty likely changes were coming anyways from preproduction to production. I asked and was told that NO WAY are they making any major changes, but they made a few "tweaks" that made the car fit more with the design sketches.

The changes that were made were directly related to feedback they got from this site, from surveys, and probably from press reactions, owner reactions among other things.

Think about it - the fenders are very small on the SRT and one of the biggest styling cues... same with the rear. They are both easy to change parts that make a big difference in the look.

Production is slated to begin probably in 8-10 weeks or so - there is absolutely no way they will be able to make ANY changes at this point - I bet suppliers have already started making parts if not shipping them in quantity already. And I'd venture to guess that any changes that were made, were made months ago before any of us even knew they were coming, and the time for changes has looooong gone.

Just wanted to clear that up
smile.gif

As for the coupe thing - I think Steve is being straight with us... PVO has to "prove itself". I'm sure those guys would LOVE to do a coupe version of the SRT - but right now there is no development program, no budget, no allocated money, and no commitment. There MAY be desire in the designers hearts, and in the next year or so there may be business cases put together to justify spending $$s on a "S-GTS" or whatever, but everything I have heard is that right NOW, none of that exists or is happening. I have no reason to doubt that information. It's so easy for one of the PVO guys to say "we'd love to do a coupe version" and people take that to mean one is coming. I'm sure PVO makes no bones about their desire for a coupe, but I'm also sure all the mags would LOVE to be the "first" to break the news about a new coupe. You can bet they are looking for something that may not be there at all.

OP
OP
K

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
You make a good point, and I tend to agree that this board doesn't represent a large enough slice to influence anybody, but I think fewer people like it than you guys are willing to admit.

I put about 1500 miles per month on my car, and consequently I have many opportunities to talk about Vipers with people in all walks of life. I have <u>never</u> brought up the Gen III in any of these encounters, yet others bring it up frequently. Lately, out of curiosity generated by our discussions here, I've made a conscious effort to respond with a carefully neutral "Yes" when they ask "Have you seen it?" So far <u>every</u> time the response is negative, without exception. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe thirty people have commented so far. (Self-proclaimed "Mopar guys" tend to be positively offended by it.)

This goes beyond gas station attendants -- I must have spent three hours talking about Vipers with the guys at the boat store, so it isn't limited to people who have no hope of ever affording one. This extends into the pool of potential future owners.

My first point is, there are a lot more than "a few hundred" who don't like the new car.

My second point is, try to even imagine this happening with the Gen I/II styling.

Sorry, I really don't want to hijack this one, it was an interesting thing Richard was starting and I'd like to see how the votes fall out among the other pro-SRT guys.
smile.gif
To me the changes seemed pretty minor, frankly I was surprised to see any reaction from that side of the fence.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Sorry, I really don't want to hijack this one.......
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll just say that I agree 100%.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang