SRT vs Ford GT

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Over my Viper years I have owned a 96RT then 96GTS the 2002GTS with SR supercharger and now the SRT. I have tracked them all. In summary the SR GTS was by far the fastest and the SRT the best.A SRT with SR supercharger would be lethal.
Today I had the opportunity to try the Ford GT.
We will get about a hundred of those for Europe. Price around 210'000US$. Starting march 2005.
The cool thing is that everybody can be happy. If you compare the results in Motor Trend you hardly see any differences in figures. I can tell you the Ford rides like a sedan and the SRT is a gokart in comparison. If you set up the Ford like the SRT, it will blow it off the track. But the Ford is in a different price league(did you notice?) so dollar for dollar the SRT is the deal.
ExFormula 1 driver Damon Hill said in the english magazine CAR he would take the Ferrari 360 for the track and the Ford for long journeys.
In summary, if you can, have both.

Anders
Nyon
Switzerland
PS the gearchange ***** in the GT

RonnieSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you have seen the Ford GT in person. I Saw it at the LA show this year, and, in my opinion, the car is no great shakes when it comes to looks. And, the interior is BUTT ugly! I have had my SRT10 for 2 days and just love it. To me, the incredible thing that the SRT10 has over any car in the world, is it is the #1 performing convertible, and, it is just a stunning looking car, top up or down. Of course, the need for a roadster comes from living in So Cal, where, unless it is raining (what is rain?) my top is down!!!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seen it, sat in it, and there ain't nothing but love and respect for it. I think they made a GREAT Super Car. But I have been a GT40 fan for along time.

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks of course are very subjective, but I have seen the GT in person at a car show and think it is incredible looking. Don't get me wrong, I love my SRT, but that GT is hot! Of course it will never be the bargain that the SRT is and it will be a long time before any of them will be reasonably priced. Meanwhile, my SRT makes me very happy.

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the latest Motor Trend the GT ran the 1/4 in 11.2 at 131mph! It ran right with the 400,000 Porshe GT I am impressed. The SRT ran I think 11.8 at 123 so the GT is faster. I think the GT is underrated at 550hp. I still love all Vipers but I respect what Ford has done.

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lots of the show GT cars have stripes, but they are just an option and look much better without. The Ford GT in solid yellow is one of the best looking, peforming cars on the market today.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the latest Motor Trend the GT ran the 1/4 in 11.2 at 131mph! It ran right with the 400,000 Porshe GT I am impressed. The SRT ran I think 11.8 at 123 so the GT is faster. I think the GT is underrated at 550hp. I still love all Vipers but I respect what Ford has done.

Incredible....Tied with the 440k CGT and 4mph off the 600k-1 million dollar Enzo..Lets not forget faster then the SLR..all for around 150k....Its thee performance bargain in the hyperexotic realm....I agree its seriously underrated at 550hp...Its probably making that to the wheels...131 is moving...

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Incredible....Tied with the 440k CGT and 4mph off the 600k-1 million dollar Enzo..Lets not forget faster then the SLR..all for around 150k....Its thee performance bargain in the hyperexotic realm....I agree its seriously underrated at 550hp...Its probably making that to the wheels...131 is moving...

No doubt the GT pulling a 131mph is hauling. Ford obviously had to turn up the boost before letting their animal out of the barn to make sure it faired so well. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple real world tests with actual production vehicles to see that GT number further substantiated. No matter the outcome of these tests, it's not unsettling having 505 natural aspirated cubes delivering 500hp+ as there's so much more potential ready to be tapped. Hey, this is the Viper site. lol Roe baby Roe. :usa:

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn't this be an actual production GT MT tested? I still haven't got this issue, so I don't know.

Waiting by the mailbox....

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That GT looks nice! I think that MT article comparing the early release GT and the Viper hit Ford in the gut. Ford took too long to hit market and they had to "adjust" the power output. Sometimes those short notice changes can be compromising . . . Time will tell.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bet you are right on the money. Production Lightnings and Mustang Cobras both do to the wheels close to the "claimed" HP to the crank. Another test they had done had the GT doing 128 MPH in the 1/4, which is still more than 550 HP at the crank.

Will be interesting to see GT's with the "basic" mods such as pulley's, less restrictive exhausts and intakes..... May go mid 10's at high 130's MPH...

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got my Motor trend today. All I can say is "Damn!" If the Ford GT is right up there with an Enzo, of course I'd take it over an SRT...wihtout question. And the SRT is an extremely nice car.

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that it is almost a tradition for manufacturers to send "ringers" to Mag Rags for road tests/comparison tests.

Hopefully, we'll get a test of a real production car soon.

Supra

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not very typical for Ford, the Mustang Cobra and Lightning were as fast if not faster in production car tests as they pre-production tests.

Don't forget that it is almost a tradition for manufacturers to send "ringers" to Mag Rags for road tests/comparison tests.

Hopefully, we'll get a test of a real production car soon.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No doubt the GT pulling a 131mph is hauling. Ford obviously had to turn up the boost before letting their animal out of the barn to make sure it faired so well. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a couple real world tests with actual production vehicles to see that GT number further substantiated. No matter the outcome of these tests, it's not unsettling having 505 natural aspirated cubes delivering 500hp+ as there's so much more potential ready to be tapped. Hey, this is the Viper site. lol Roe baby Roe. :usa:

Hey SnakeEye I wasnt comparing the FGT to the Viper....I was marely giving it the respect it deserves regardless of the badge on the front...No question if DC wanted they could put out a Viper Coupe and without trying hard, beat those numbers...Its got 505ci like you ssaid :smirk: ...But you have to give the FGT its props..It is the first production "American car" to break 130mph in the 1/4 bone stock. I dont think think the Saleen or the MT900 break 130mph and they arent realy production cars. Hell I thought the Viper would have done it first..

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When/if the $$ for a new GT drop to the $180,000 range, I'm putting one in my garage, right next to my SRT-10

Kai

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just got my copy of MT and am very impressed with the FORD GT.

But MT has this figure-eight track test they do its in short a race that takes everything into account and here are the numbers.

TIME AVG G

PORSCHE GT 23.8 SEC @ .86 G
ENZO 24.5 SEC @ .82 G
FORD GT 25.2 SEC @ .77 G
SRT-10 23.9 SEC @ .86 G

Let the numbers tell the story but to me the SRT-10 is the KING :2tu: :usa:
Thank god I own one.

BishopTx

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One of the local dealerships here in Austin (Maxwell Ford on the Motor Mile) is auctioning off the "one" they are receiving -- with the starting bid at $300K....

I understand the Z06 bang for your buck argument against the SRT-10, and while I believe that arguments have some merits, the price tags are still in the same general ballpark and are targeted at the same market audience and income levels.

The Ford GT @ $300K + does not fit that bill; not even close. I don't consider the SRT-10 and Ford GT in the same class -- but I do consider all manner of Vettes. Maybe screwed up or selective logic on my part, but I don't care.

Granted - I'd love a GT, but I don't foresee a high liklihood of ever being in a position to own one.

Now if you really want to fall in love with the GT - download this video. These guys are jerks (but I personally love their humor) and this particular video is the best review they've ever done. Definitely worth the d/w.

http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/TopGear_FordGT_hi.wmv

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great review....fuel consumption...4 miles per gallon! Since the Ford Proving Grounds are nearby, I have had the opportunity to look at several producion cars first hand. They are wonderful autos but have no (and I repeat no) space for any luggage..none..zip. This is a go fast weekend garage queen. Dodge please bring on the coupe at VIO8!

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This brings me to a question...

Does anyone have pictures of a Ford GT with no stripes? I'd really like to see one, but it seems like for all of the pre-production cars they've added stripes.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
read MT today, for 150K gt40 has me thinking if i can really find one at that price it has a place next to the viper in my garage. one thing i noticed the ONLY car that wasn't at the test that they compared it to at times was the VIPER. the SRT VIPER still king in some area's, add a supercharger and well bring em on, lol. wake up dc the others are shooting for the viper, so many things can be done at the factory, give us some options we'll pay, the srt has so much potential its a same if they dont. i know we have after market options but still it would be nice to be able to get it from dc. everone wants the new coupe, i want a optional upgrade of the v10 under the hood, please dc, can ya hear us now. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The GT did not do well on the dynamic portion of the testing. Sounds like they put all their eggs in th estraight line performance direction. Also, did anyone read the weight. Heavier than a Gen I!

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason for all the added HP (IMO) was due to the fact that they could not meet their initial weight goal. I think the car at first showing was to weigh less than 3000 lbs., the reality of it is more like 3300-3400. much much cheaper to build a more powerful engine than to reengineer many parts to save a few pounds. I do really like the GT and when i can get one for sticker or less I will prob buy one. RE: an earlier comment about the interior, it does look cheap. i sat in a pre-prod prototype 4.5 months ago while i saw a test driver out in one.(BTW i have probably seen GT's on the road in the metro Detroit area at least 40-50 times already!, gotta love living in the motor capital of the world). We will see what happens with the performance benchmark when DC ups the HP and brings out a more aerodynamic body(ie: coupe). The SRT has still got to be the fastest convertable in the world(ok maybe the Murcialago roadster is faster). I still love the GT and my SRT

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
TAKE A LOOK

6400SRT_VS_GT_MAG-med.JPG

VIPER WINS

VD..

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw an all black Ford GT at the engineer building and it looked great. Without the stripes it looks much wider. I can't post pictures becaue they would not let us take any.

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's butt ugly though.
Rather slap a charger on an SRT.
What ? Ford already did ? Oh...
So what's the deal ?

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
read MT today, for 150K gt40 has me thinking if i can really find one at that price it has a place next to the viper in my garage.

Good luck finding one at that price though. Most are selling for $150K + $50K markup. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302