SRT10 - searching subwoofer disassembling instruction

ChristianSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear SRT-10 owner,
my SRT-10 rear subwoofer (between the seats) makes strange noises. Seams to be the common issue of the loosen housing in the subwoofer. I need to disassemble the woofer and fix the housing inside the woofer.
is there a detailed instruction available how to disassemble the woofer? Seams the alil the rear trim parts and the roll bars needs to be disassembled… would be really helpful for me to have an instruction…

I already searched through the forum, but w/o any success.

Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany
Christian

Last edited:

sssikvipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
are you asking how to disassemble the woofer? or how to get access to the woofer?

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Getting access isn't too bad. You need to pull the covers over the side sills first. They just lift straight up and are held in with push clips. That will let you get to a ***** that holds the rear panel behind the seats on. Slide the seats forward and you should be able to see a ***** on either side of the center console that also holds that rear panel on. At that point if you remove the hoops behind the seats (pop open the access panel and there should be one long bolt into either side of each hoop). From there you can actually lift the rear panel off and rotate it forward, but the seat belts are going to keep it in the car. You can unbolt the seat belts at the floorboards if you want to pull the whole panel out, but you don't necessarily have to. The subwoofer box is held in with two bolts on the top that are easy to get to with the rear panel rotated forward and one nut on the bottom that's a little tougher. You should still be able to get to it without too much trouble though. At that point the whole sub box should lift up and out (make sure to unplug it first).

I haven't ever actually worked on a stock woofer, but I'm pretty sure it will just be like a normal speaker at that point with some screws around the perimeter holding it in. Rattling could be the speaker itself or there is a tube inside the box that is used for tuning the porting on the box to enhance the bass like other sub boxes. The tube is just held on with a rubber coupler, so it could be that the tube has come loose. I believe it's also wrapped with foam tape that degrades over time, so it might just be rattling around inside because the foam is gone. Could just rewrap it with some generic stuff.

OP
OP
C

ChristianSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you very much for your detailed description. I will try during winter session.

as you mentioned! I assume the tube came loose. The woofer it self seams to be fine.

again! Thank you very much…

best regards
christian

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I forgot there is another ***** on the top outside by the door jamb on either side, but that one should be pretty easy to see. I think it's just the six screws (and the roll hoops) that hold it all in there though. 2 screws under the plastic sill covers, two above those by the door jamb, and two on the center console by the seat backs.

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aw geez I just set up my stereo went for my first top down cruise and I'm just having this happen to me! Thanks! I'm gunna be diggin into mine this week. If i can I'll post up some pics as I go through it.

remidad

Enthusiast
Reaction score

OP
OP
C

ChristianSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aw geez I just set up my stereo went for my first top down cruise and I'm just having this happen to me! Thanks! I'm gunna be diggin into mine this week. If i can I'll post up some pics as I go through it.
Hi VaderViper… did you fix the woofer issue? How did you fix the woofer itself? Some details and pics I’d you had th chance to make some would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Christian

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I'm debating tackling a similar fix one of these days. I put the Kicker shallow mount woofer in my stock box and it sounds okay, but it seems overdriven even at fairly low volumes. Thinking I need to tighten up some mounting or tubes or something to see if I can get a cleaner sound out of it. The factory box also had foam on the outside where it sat against the rear bulkhead of the car. Probably worth double checking that as well to make sure it's not rattling against the frame as another source of potential noise. The majority of the foam on mine is just crumbling everywhere. I thought I replaced it, but can't really remember that well and may not have put the best replacement back in.

Bubba2994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 2006 and I looked it up on Youtube. Theres a video of a guy removing all the panels and replacing the subwoofer. I followed the video and though quite time consuming it worked out great. Replaced my sub with a Kicker sub and it sounds awesome

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi VaderViper… did you fix the woofer issue? How did you fix the woofer itself? Some details and pics I’d you had th chance to make some would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Christian
My car woofer was not OEM. I still need to find out what is rattling OR what foam might've got loose.