Starting a Viper Tuner Shop / Feedback

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

My business partner and I both own a handful of sports cars. I have a couple Vipers, a Z06, a CBR 929 and a new BMW with the performance race package. My partner has one of the fastest Miatas on the planet, a Lotus and a Z3. We are pretty successful with our software company and we're looking to diversify into other markets. We have already branched out into the real estate market, and have also branched out into one other area that seems to be doing well so far.

One other market we have always wanted to do, was to own a high end tuner type shop. A place where people could send their Viper to and turn it into an 800 RWHP monster, or more. A place people can go to get their cars ready for the track, or to Dyno it.

We are pretty good about running a business, but are ******** when it comes to this type of market. I'm posting this because we have some cash we can throw at a business like this, but want some feedback on what it takes to do so, and more importantly, how many good people are there out there that could accomplish what we need them to, and are available for hire. We would need these people, as we would not be running the shop -- we are needed at our main business which is our cash cow.

At the moment, there is almost no high end Viper representation here on the west coast. Roe, Hefner, Levine, BTR and most others are all on the East Coast. SVS is also half way across the continent. California has got to be one of the biggest markets for any sports car, yet we have very little to choose from.

So, open up some dialog with me. What would it take to open up a great shop? What would the shop need? What kind of people and how many? How big? What should be offered? Should it cater to just Vipers or include other vehicles -- perhaps also including a more lucratve Vette market since there are so many more of them.

We are serious about this. We may not jump into this market, but it is interesting to us and we now have the funds to experiment. Are there people from this forum with the experience it would take to run such a shop that would want to take part in it -- to be their own boss and create something of themselves?

We're located in San Diego and would look at having the shop somewhere in or near our area.

Manny

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it takes a hands-on owner. The successful Viper businesses I've come across have an owner with 93 octane blood in his veins who will take the time to talk to you. Some of the employees can catch that from him, but need that passion from that owner, not an investor. I don't think you can hire that. Just outside San Diego we have West Coast Viper and they can do whatever you want. L.A.- Dan Cragin.
I appreciate your passion for cars, but I doubt the profitability of a shop makes it a worthwhile investment. The barriers to entry are low- a few hundred thousand in tools and parts.
It's like making surfboards. Every surfer would like to hang around surfing full time, so will do anything for low wages to do so. If they can they start their own shop. Any time your make your hobby your business you risk losing the fun.
Good luck, I'm getting nitrous from West Coast within the week and am thrilled if there is another shop.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The hands on comment is a good one.... After watching many over the last few years, I feel I can say it takes several people and a good bit of money to make a venture like this work. You have to have one person that can sell ice cubes to eskimos and who is good at sweet talking and marketing, a second person that actually makes what person one sells (does the work).... it is best to have a third person that makes sure that the first person does not sell something the second person can't build for a price at least a little lower than the first person sold it for :) It takes a while to get your name out, and even longer to build a customer base. RSI in Houston is an example of a greenfield start-up Tuning business that is doing well, but it has taken over a year for them to really get rolling. They started with a knowledgable well known (Viper) mechanic and do work on most vehicles from Vipers, to Vettes and Hummers. It appears to me that there is a lot of "mid-market" bussiness in Vettes, Mustangs, and Cameros.... with a few high end Viper, Mercedes and Porshe Tuners holding a big piece of that market.... just my 0.02 cents worth.

Actually, there are several shops on the west coast, DC Motorsports (Dan Cragin's) shop. Dan has been working on Vipers and others since 1992 and is a certified Viper Tech. West Coast Viper (owned by John Horton and not to be confused with the pseudo fraudulent ad in the last issue of VIPER Magazine) is another one. John also is a ASE mechanic and Viper Tech, he has been in business for ore than three years. There are more, but these two are the ones that come to mind.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Caldwell in California? Building the motors that kicked everybody's *** for how many years is a pretty good resume.

There are some really skilled techs/shops already around, but the more competition the better so go for it. Good luck.

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know it takes capital to start and keep these shops going, maybe you could contact DC Motorsports or West Coast Viper and invest with them. The capital you provide might alow them and you to branch out into other areas plus it gives you the people needed to make it work.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I am already in discussions with one shop out here -- we'll see how that goes. However, if the right people with the right skills are interested in running a shop in California and potentially have some equity in the business, I'm all ears. A supercharger/turbo charger expert would be a great start -- somebody who knows Vipers inside and out.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...A supercharger/turbo charger expert would be a great start -- somebody who knows Vipers inside and out...

Well it sounds like both Dan Cragin and John Horton are worth chatting with, Dan sells a very nice twin supercharger package and John Horton has the twin turbo developed for Jason's Car.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Fat Albert's Motorsports and Fat Albert's Paint and Body Shop in Phoenix have been doing what you are talking about for many years. They specialize in Vipers and Fat Albert personally owns more Vipers than anybody I know. He also races them and makes extremely nasty Viper motors. You can contact him at 602-402-7692.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...A supercharger/turbo charger expert would be a great start -- somebody who knows Vipers inside and out...

Well it sounds like both Dan Cragin and John Horton are worth chatting with, Dan sells a very nice twin supercharger package and John Horton has the twin turbo developed for Jason's Car.

Yes, I take my cars to West Coast Viper (John Horton) all the time, and in fact will be talking to them about this shortly.

Manny

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dan Cragin is one of the best in the business and Dave Jenkins does a nice job over at Victory Vipers. I would definitely say you need to hook up with someone that has a great reputation in the Viper Community, but California does have some strong tuners right now --- the two above are cases in point!

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is it I only seem to hear about DLM and HEFFNER vipers each week on the forums, and never about a Jenkins or Cragin set up?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't Caldwell in California? Building the motors that kicked everybody's *** for how many years is a pretty good resume.

Yup, right there in Vista off the 78 Freeway. But I believe they only do N/A.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21