Stealth BOOST Gauge Installation !

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hat's off to John Horton and Jason Tarnutzer for doing an AWESOME job installing my Boost Gauge . I didn't think I would want a Boost gauge on my car so when Heffner offered to install one I declined..Well after a few weeks with the car I decided that I'd like one..So I enlisted the services of "West Coast Viper".

Here's a pic of the clean installation..They pulled out the Battery Meter and installed the Boost Gauge in its place !Whats so nice about this Boost Gauge is that It retains in memory what your highest level of boost was..So when your hammering the snot out of the car you can keep your eyes on the road and then refer back to the gauge to see what your maximum boost was.
443BOOST_GAUGE.jpg

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet install! :2tu:

I love having the boost gauge. It is nice to see the needle jump when you push the throttle. It also a good thing if for some reason you had a boost controller or wastegate issue. We dont want to push 25lbs of boost through the motor without knowing it. :shocked:

I went with the POD approach. Boost and Fuel Pressure. The only issue with the pod is the tight clearence between the pod and steering wheel.

Bandit400

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet install! :2tu:

I love having the boost gauge. It is nice to see the needle jump when you push the throttle. It also a good thing if for some reason you had a boost controller or wastegate issue. We dont want to push 25lbs of boost through the motor without knowing it. :shocked:

I went with the POD approach. Boost and Fuel Pressure. The only issue with the pod is the tight clearence between the pod and steering wheel.

Bandit400

Scott , I'd like to see what it looks like with the Pillar Pod installed..All the Pillar installation's I've seen looked kinda rough..The quality of the Pillar Pod was not a clean match to the factory Pillar.

Can you post a pic ??

Jeff

ChicagoGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You maniac, you removed your voltage gauge! Now your car's gonna fall apart, I'm telling!

That's slick yellow, looks stock!

Now when some poor unexpecting friend of a friend asks what all your gauges are for during the many "can I have a ride" requests. You could floor it and while he craps his pants you could calmly explain "and when the needle hits 10psi we will be at 6G's! :eek:

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

I will post a picture tomorrow. The car is at a different location while my house is being finished. I had to mold the POD to the A-Pillar with a heat gun so that it would fit better. I did this before Jason installed it. There is no more gap this way.

Scott
Bandit400

OP
OP
Y

Yellow Fever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now when some poor unexpecting friend of a friend asks what all your gauges are for during the many "can I have a ride" requests. You could floor it and while he craps his pants you could calmly explain "and when the needle hits 10psi we will be at 6G's! :eek:

LMAO !! :D

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sweet install! :thumbs:

Bandit400

Scott , I'd like to see what it looks like with the Pillar Pod installed..All the Pillar installation's I've seen looked kinda rough..The quality of the Pillar Pod was not a clean match to the factory Pillar.

Can you post a pic ??

Jeff

I saw Gerald (snakebitten) and his looked good, but you are right the pod I got fron Elite does not quite fit, even when you heat it and bend it around. I have the boost and A/F gage in the pod and feul pressure on the cowl. Did Heffner mount a fuel pressure gauge on your car?

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dansauto,

Jason installed the pod with a boost gauge and Fuel Pressure gauge. I will post a picture tonight of the setup. The Pod material matches the the dash more than the A-Pillar since most of the A-pillar appears to be painted metal.

Scott
Bandit400

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is it hard to look at under acceleration? I know with my boost gauge, it hard to look at it because one 1 sec glance can mean crash!

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The memory function is very cool.

Ab, I rotated my boost gauge where straight up is max boost. Then, at a quick glance, you see if you are making peak boost or more or less.

Works great as you don't have a lot of time to peruse the gauges in these higher hp cars.

Chad

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible to relocate the boost gauge to one of the other spots closer to the driver?

With my Supra, I was forced to have TONS of gauges to keep everything monitored correctly (boost, fuel pressure, EGT's, etc). Here's what I learned after buying a few different types of gauges:

1) When driving fast, you'll rarely look at the boost gauge. Memory function is cool, but not practical for keeping your car out of trouble. I blew a turbo once... hit the memory button, and saw that I overboosted. Duh!

2) Boost playback is even cooler than peak hold. Essentially, you hit a button, and it records thirty seconds of boosting. Very helpful when trying to figure out if your spoolup is linear, and if you want to know whether you are holding boost (ie, any boost leaks at higher pressures).

3) Boost warning light is THE most important function. You set the gauge to light up when hitting a preset number. Very helpful in varying weather conditions (which may cause you to boost higher)... and, during a heated run, you can let off the throttle as soon as you see a light within your peripheral vision. Helps prevent you from making a costly mistake.

4) Electric boost gauges were more reliable than mechanical ones.

Greddy made the best gauges for the money... HKS gauges were overpriced. Autometer was inaccurate at times. YMMV.

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

Here is the picture of the gauge pod.

You must be registered for see images

The pod fits pretty good after a little messaging with a hairdryer.

Bandit400

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Achilles99,

Valid points. I agree that the Warning light is key. Having it practly in my direct line of sight is necessity. :cool:

Bandit400

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff,

It is definately close. So far I do not have a problem. You might bump your hand a little if you are doing spirited driving and using the 10/2 driving position. There is about 3" of clearance between the pod and the wheel.

Scott

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960