Steering Rack Toe Pattern Shims

ewave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh the joys of owning a used car worked on by an incompetent mechanic...

While tracking down a slight amount of play in the steering of my Viper I noticed that I could move the power steering rack up and down about 1/8 of an inch. Turns out some careless mechanic neglected to replace the two O-rings that go on the steering rack isolators by the steering gear. It also turns out that instead of "Toe Pattern Shims" being installed, there are in their place, just two nice large washers like the ones that the bolts go through on the top.

The Viper Workshop Manual has several cautions about retaining the proper toe pattern shims. I understand that the proper placement (height above frame) of the rack effects bump steer. Any one really know how critical this is, and where to go to have it measured and adjusted?

Thanks!

PS If you are the careless mechanic out there who lost my factory original shims and put my car back together without them, may you forget to tighten your lug nuts some day, lose a wheel and crash!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul,

The driving situation can range from mildly annoying to truly dangerous. Bump-steering a Viper is a fairly involved process, best left to a very experienced tech. Rich Carlson (regional Tech trainer) can probably be enlisted to help. Bobby Archer's shop can probably do it quicker than anybody around and get it right, but it may not be convenient from where you are.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian R