Steering wheel fix

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This only took me about 10 minutes to do... and that was taking my time as well. It really is quite simple; first to the before and after pictures:

Before (Yeah, I know... pretty bad)

You must be registered for see images attach

And After

Here are the steps I took:

Stuff you need:
a) Soft sponge brush
You must be registered for see images

b) Paper towels
c) Lint-free microfiber cloth
d) Cream based leather cleaner
e) Leather color restorer (You can get this stuff possibly at a leather specialty store, but online is your best bet by far. I purchased mine on eBay, just search for "Leather Refinish Color Restorer" and you'll see it. Some auctions also come with the cream based leather cleaner as well.
f) Optional: Leather protector

Total cost: $26... but have enough to do at least 40 steering wheels, or other parts. I did my original shift knob, steering wheel, and hand brake handle... and have barely used any at all.

1. Get the car to a well lit area... taking the roof off really helps, but hey, if you have a GTS... then get a really nice light in there so you can see all the imperfections and what not.
2. Mask off the parts you don't want to color... ie. Horn section, etc.
3. Get some fine (1500 - 2000 grit) sand paper, and give the leather a good light scrubbing, to get all the high spots out. Don't worry if more of the color comes off, because you're going to be re-coloring this anyway.
4. Take a damp paper towel and give it a good wipe, to get all the oils off
5. Once it's pretty smooth, take some cream-like leather cleaner (doesn't have to be expensive... but the better the stuff, the less you have to work at it), a micro-fiber cloth (one without lint) and take off all the dirt from the steering wheel. You may need to do this a couple times. Keep doing this, until some of the old color actually comes off on the cloth... you want this to happen.
6. Lastly, get a sponge brush and spread it evenly across the entire surface... keeping in mind that you want an even coat, so watch for drip marks. You will be putting on a 2nd and 3rd coat, so don't worry if the color does not look great on the first coat. This stuff dries quickly, so work fast. Wait about a minute or two between coats... it really doesn't take long to dry.
7. You're done... after you let the steering wheel cure for a day or so, you can apply a leather protector on it to add strength... but I haven't used it, and it has held up very well.

Tip. If you find the coats aren't going on very smooth, use a micro-fiber cloth to apply it instead. The brush has to be a very soft one, that will contour with the steering wheel, not "scrape" along it.

I was able to drive the car 3 minutes after applying my last coat... it dries pretty quick like I said. But try and let the stuff cure for about 12 hours before excessive use.

Hope this helps... if you have any questions, let me know.

Last edited:

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks great. My local detail shop can accomplish the same results, I've been afraid of doing it myself.

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's funny, cause I posted on here months ago about getting a fix\repair for this, and most people had no idea.... and said that I should just remove the steering wheel and bring it to a leather shop and get it re-wrapped... or, replace the steering wheel. Glad I found this!

sfm79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it looks great. I'm curious as to how it got that bad in the first place. Is it from racing with gloves on?

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I guess posting a tutorial is a bit much for something like this, the more I think about it... so I'll just edit the first post, and explain it in there. Should be there by now.

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it looks great. I'm curious as to how it got that bad in the first place. Is it from racing with gloves on?

I have a feeling it's to do with the acidity from your hands over time, as well as rubbing your hands on it. It started losing its color about 3 or so years ago... and then I tried 'cleaning off' the dirt.. thinking it wasn't the color I was losing, and that it was just dirt.... well, more color came off.... then it seemed to collect dirt a lot faster... which meant more cleaning... which meant more color loss.... so I had to look for a fix, and I found one. :)

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Nitro! This should be added to the How-To section.

No problem! Wish I knew about this years ago... I don't know how many comments I have had about this stupid steering wheel... it's the only 'bad' looking part of my car... well, no more!

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a feeling it's to do with the acidity from your hands over time, as well as rubbing your hands on it. It started losing its color about 3 or so years ago... and then I tried 'cleaning off' the dirt.. thinking it wasn't the color I was losing, and that it was just dirt.... well, more color came off.... then it seemed to collect dirt a lot faster... which meant more cleaning... which meant more color loss.... so I had to look for a fix, and I found one. :)

Thanks for the tip. I also have the Connolly interior and that is EXACTLY what has happened to my steering wheel. I also tried to clean it, making it worse. When you ordered the leather color restorer, what color did you get?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
how does a viper steering wheel get THAT bad ? how bad do you take care of that car ? oil must look like molasses ....

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered the 'cognac' color... and it matched up perfectly.... I was skeptical whether or not it would be close... but it was an identical match. No need to even shake when you get it, it's perfectly mixed.

Thanks guys! :)

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
how does a viper steering wheel get THAT bad ? how bad do you take care of that car ? oil must look like molasses ....

You're basing your opinion of the way I take care of my car based on the steering wheel? Wear and tear... I have over 60,000km on it... I actually drive my car. I probably clean it too much, hence why the steering wheel lost it's color... but mostly from driving it. I don't hold my steering wheel with a diaper, I use my MAN hands.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're basing your opinion of the way I take care of my car based on the steering wheel? Wear and tear... I have over 60,000km on it... I actually drive my car. I probably clean it too much, hence why the steering wheel lost it's color... but mostly from driving it. I don't hold my steering wheel with a diaper, I use my MAN hands.

It must be the leather dye is just wearing off. I have over 80K miles on mine and it looks similar. The steering wheel is the only place it is happening though, the seats still look good.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fantastic job Nitro. I've done a few complete interiors, a ton of work. Your steering wheel turned out great. I too have the Cognac, and the wheel is 'ok' (17k miles) but the shift knob sorta tatty.

Would be happy to buy your remaining dye if you didn't want it to just sit on the shelf.

OP
OP
N

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Fantastic job Nitro. I've done a few complete interiors, a ton of work. Your steering wheel turned out great. I too have the Cognac, and the wheel is 'ok' (17k miles) but the shift knob sorta tatty.

Would be happy to buy your remaining dye if you didn't want it to just sit on the shelf.

It fixed my shift knob up as well! I would sell it to ya, but I'm going to hang onto it, as I'm really happy with it... and if it ever needs a re-touch up in the future, I don't want to have to hunt for some more, haha. However, it's pretty cheap on eBay... here's a link... besides, the shipping is probably cheaper to you anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180812024897

Cognak is under the second list of colors. Prices have gone up a bit since I did it, but still only $15.75 + $3.48 shipping. Less than $20.

AHudson777

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It fixed my shift knob up as well! I would sell it to ya, but I'm going to hang onto it, as I'm really happy with it... and if it ever needs a re-touch up in the future, I don't want to have to hunt for some more, haha. However, it's pretty cheap on eBay... here's a link... besides, the shipping is probably cheaper to you anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180812024897

Cognak is under the second list of colors. Prices have gone up a bit since I did it, but still only $15.75 + $3.48 shipping. Less than $20.

Hey, don't blame you one bit. I've just had the occasion of 98% of the stuff sitting 'til it turned to gel. Anyway, bought it from your link and THANK YOU for that. Glad you were the color guinea pig too! :) Can't wait.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62