STEERING

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just bought an outstanding 2003 Viper with 16,000 miles. Have driven it twice and find the steering a bit darty/quick and sensitive. I built my own Factory five Cobra with PS. I turned the pressure down with a Heidt's reduction valve which dropped PS from 1200 PSI to approx 750 PSI with excellent result. I feel the Viper has too much power assist and would like a stiffer more accurate steering feel. Has anyone done a PS reduction vale or something easier ? John

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your steering is probably fine. It takes a little while to get used to how the front tires follow every groove and imperfection in the road that you never knew were there before.

If it stills feels weird to you after getting used the car, I would have the alignment checked, as that can really make these cars feel squirrelly.

Last edited:

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your steering is probably fine. It takes a little while to get used to how the front tires follow every groove and imperfection in the road that you never knew were there before.

If it stills feels weird to you after getting used the car, I would have the alignment checked, as that really make these cars feel squirrelly.

+1 What he said :2tu:

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TawDawg, You are right. It will take me a little time to get used to car as a result of very wide low profile rubber. I think alignment is very good as steers straight and tires look perfect. Sometimes adding 1-2 degrees of toe-in will decrease the darty steer feeling also. I may check front alignment and add a degree of toe in. John

wes

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know the tires make a huge difference in the way it tracks. If you have the original runflats on it, it will follow ever single bump and grove you hit. PS2's or invos will change the feel.

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, I have the PS2s now but I checked tire pressure tonite and fronts were low at 25 and rears were 26. I pumped them all up to 30 PSI. May help a little. Thanks for all the posts, it has helped. John

Reaction score
Yes some toe in will help, but 1-2 degrees is a lot for a tire that wide. You will want to shoot for around .10 - .20 total toe in any more then that and you will ruin tires and limit the cars ability to turn in crisply. Also adding negative camber up front will greatly help with the tram lining the Viper has, you should do about 1.2 degrees negative up front and .5 - .7 neg in back with .20 total toe in in the rear. FWIW.

TawDawg, You are right. It will take me a little time to get used to car as a result of very wide low profile rubber. I think alignment is very good as steers straight and tires look perfect. Sometimes adding 1-2 degrees of toe-in will decrease the darty steer feeling also. I may check front alignment and add a degree of toe in. John

OP
OP
J

john2456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MJ--Good advice. I will shoot for your toe numbers on the alignment. I have never had a car with these tire width. Thanks for helping the rookie. JohnO':)

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my 2001 GTS to the tech last year, just prior to my first track day. I wasn't too crazy about the steering when I took it in, but when it came out, it felt great. He removed the 'sport shims' and set up the suspension to be about halfway between street and track. Sorry, don't know what the actual measurements were, but the difference in the feel when driving was like a totally different car.