STOCK AIR PRESSURE SENSORS

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can leave out the pressure sensors on the SRT-10 Vipers. I am looking at a new set of Forgeline Wheels and have no use for pressure sensors. Does it affect the computer in any way or put the car i a limp home mode? has anyone tried this?

Robbie

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have HRE's with air pressure sensors however I am yet to get the computer to recognize them. I am really not in a rush since it doesnt harm the car in any way. In fact, the car simply chimes once on start up and displays "Low tire pressure" in the display. Doesnt bother me whatsoever.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i changed wheels on my car on thurs. i had them let the pressure out of the old tires(not pop the bead which would set of the low pressure alarm) and had them put the sensors in the new wheels in same tire position and had no issues with resetting

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a new set of wheels with new tire sensors. What is the procedure to initialize them? I want to be able to switch back and forth between the 2 sets.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you do need to re set/initialize you may need to go to the dealer they use some donut-looking magnet dohickey that goes around the stem the valve to reset the sensons and possibly even the DRB unit does not take more than ten minutes. there might be a procedure in the owners manual(that might also be for my gmc yukon), but i don't think so.

did you get the car out yet Ron?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I purchased a set of the SSR wheels also from Jon with Michelin Sport Cup tires. Total savings is 48 lbs over stock. I will be mounting them today to verify the fit on an SRT and of course the appearance.

I already know I will be happier with the reduced weight and increased traction.

OP
OP
R

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I decided to buy a new set of polished and clear coated Copperhead wheels in the stock OEM size and am mounting Pirelli PZero tires on them. Yes Pirelli does make a rear tire which is the same as stock but is 1" wider in tread. They will also fit the stock OEM viper wheels They are:
PIRELLI 275/35YR-18 PZERO ROSSO ASIMMETRICO TIRES
PIRELLI 355/25YR19 PZERO ROSSO ASIMMETRICO TIRES
Hope this helps,

Robbie

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I decided to buy a new set of polished and clear coated Copperhead wheels in the stock OEM size and am mounting Pirelli PZero tires on them. Yes Pirelli does make a rear tire which is the same as stock but is 1" wider in tread. They will also fit the stock OEM viper wheels They are:
PIRELLI 275/35YR-18 PZERO ROSSO ASIMMETRICO TIRES
PIRELLI 355/25YR19 PZERO ROSSO ASIMMETRICO TIRES
Hope this helps,

Robbie

I hate to break it to you but the Pirelli PZero Rosso Assim. 355/25 YR 19 tires are not 1" wider than the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 345/30 YR 19 tires. Pirelli PZero has a 14.1" section width whereas stock Michelin Pilot has a 13.6" section width. Pirelli is 0.5" wider.

And the Pirelli PZero 355/25 YR 19 is not the same as stock tire. It is 1-1/16" shorter than the stock 345/30 YR 19. You are decreasing the tire diameter by 4.28%.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I am wrong here, I thought a YR rated tire was not rated as fast as a ZR like the oem tires?? Possibly not important for normal driving??

Larry

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From TireRack

When Z-speed rated tires were first introduced, they were thought to reflect the highest tire speed rating that would ever be required, in excess of 240 km/h or 149 mph. While Z-speed rated tires are capable of speeds in excess of 149 mph, how far above 149 mph was not identified. That ultimately caused the automotive industry to add W- and Y-speed ratings to identify the tires that meet the needs of new vehicles that have extremely high top-speed capabilities.

W 168 mph 270 km/h Exotic Sports Cars
Y 186 mph 300 km/h Exotic Sports Cars

While a Z-speed rating still often appears in the tire size designation of these tires, such as 225/50ZR16 91W, the Z in the size signifies a maximum speed capability in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h; the W in the service description indicates the tire's 168 mph, 270 km/h maximum speed.

225/50ZR16 in excess of 149 mph, 240 km/h
205/45ZR17 88W 168 mph, 270 km/h
285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h

Most recently, when the Y-speed rating indicated in a service description is enclosed in parentheses, such as 285/35ZR19 (99Y), the top speed of the tire has been tested in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h indicated by the service description as shown below:

285/35ZR19 99Y 186 mph, 300 km/h
285/35ZR19 (99Y) in excess of 186 mph, 300 km/h

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Cris, I stand corrected and really appreciate the information.

OP
OP
R

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also I was informed by Jon at the Parts Place that the Pirelli is 1" wider than stock. I am only repeating what he has told me and others. call him if you want a better answer as I have not recieved the tires to compare them.

INSOMNIAC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
also I was informed by Jon at the Parts Place that the Pirelli is 1" wider than stock. I am only repeating what he has told me and others. call him if you want a better answer as I have not recieved the tires to compare them.

Parts Place? Maybe Jon at the PartsRack was trying to tell you that each tire is 0.5 wider than stock so a total of 1" wider rubber both tires than stock.
You don't need the tires to know their width. All of these specs are available.
Look at section width for each tire and do the math...

Specs for Pirelli http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Pirelli&model=PZero+Rosso
Specs for stock Michelins http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=Michelin&model=Pilot+Sport

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Atro, to answer your original question. No problem running Forgelines or SSR comps on an SRT-10. You will get a chime if you leave the sensors out and a low pressure notice in the display as stated above. No performance issues.

The sensors will fit in SSR's but not in the SX3 or SX3R Forgelines, so you have little choice. Different valve stem hole sizes.

Good luck,

Dan

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed new SSR wheels yesterday. I included new tire pressure sensors. After a short drive the lo tire warning disappeared and never came back. No need to visit the dealer or anything. At some point I will reinstall the other wheels and see what happens. Anyway right now I am happy as I do not need to do any calibrating.

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't get rid of the low tyre warning a battery disconnect does reset the system.

I have done this but still cannot get rid of the error seems there is not one of those dohickeys in the UK.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correction, the low tire warning remains. It is only illuminated for the first minute or so and once off it stays off even after restarts. Not a problem though and calibration will be done when easy to do.

Now, dumb question, can this lead to an ABS warning light? Tonight after about 50 or 60 miles I have the ABS light on. Came on just as I was returning home so I did not try to lock up the tires to see what would happen.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
GR8 ASP,

I have driven about 12,000 miles with the SSR's and no ABS light. Maybe a problem.

Dan

OP
OP
R

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon at Parts Rack told me there is an adapter to install the stock OEM sensors on Forgeline ST3P wheels. See the web site below to see these new wheels as they come in the stock OEM sizes.

http://www.forgeline.com/wheels/st3p.html

Does it matter if you mix up the stock sensors and install them on different corners of the car or do they have to stay in their original places? LF, RF, LR, RR

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it matter if you mix up the stock sensors and install them on different corners of the car or do they have to stay in their original places? LF, RF, LR, RR

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I am contemplating getting new rims, and wondering whether I am supposed to keep the sensors from the current rims, or whether I can get new ones for the new rims... Any suggestions?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you ever get an answer to this question? I am contemplating getting new rims, and wondering whether I am supposed to keep the sensors from the current rims, or whether I can get new ones for the new rims... Any suggestions?

Its not worth the hassle of unmounting the tires and remounting them. Just get new sensors, there was a thread that explained how to reset them, heck if i know where it is, but will be looking for it again after my new H wheels arrive. Trust me, its not worth the money, to unmoutn and remount, when new sensors are less then $200 bucks NEW for a complete set..

Jon

Paul S Lacey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each sensors needs to be mapped to the receiver via the DRB and the donut reset tool they are radio based and each has a separate frequency which the receiver has programmed.

But I am not sure if you change the location if that matters, but I guess it does as the DRB show LF, RF etc

You also need to run the car afterwards as the system only measures the reading from a rotating wheel and tire.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you but the Pirelli PZero Rosso Assim. 355/25 YR 19 tires are not 1" wider than the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 345/30 YR 19 tires.

Of course you are correct. The numbers say it all. The Pirelli is 355 millimeters and the Michelin is 345 millimeters. There is a 10 millimeter difference (355mm-345mm=10mm). In inches this equals 10/25.4 = 0.39 inches.

The Pirelli is only 0.39 inches wider.

This is IMHO something any car buff should know...

Peter

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correction, the low tire warning remains. It is only illuminated for the first minute or so and once off it stays off even after restarts. Not a problem though and calibration will be done when easy to do.

Now, dumb question, can this lead to an ABS warning light? Tonight after about 50 or 60 miles I have the ABS light on. Came on just as I was returning home so I did not try to lock up the tires to see what would happen.

Check for a loose bolt on your ABS sensor.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kai or anyone with the answer: After running my wheel/tire set w/o sensors, I am assuming (yea, I know) that re-mounting my street wheel/tire set w/sensors all will be ok in Larry's world.
Larry

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Yes, it will all be OK.

I switch from stockers to Forgelines fairly regularly and all is well.

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I buy new rims, do I get sensors from Dodge and have them installed when the tires are mounted? Or, is this something that my dealer can install after new rims and tires are on the car? I understand that the sensors are in the valve system. I'm clueless... :)