Stock Amplifier?

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what model Alpine Amplifier comes new with the 97 GTS? Since it was new, the car has been outfitted with a larger amplifier that turned out not to be a very clean installation, and want to move back to the stock setup. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Jason
Chesapeake, VA
97 GTS
91 Corvette ZR1

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not equivalent to an aftermarket unit that Alpine makes. The amp was specifically made for the Viper and it's with cheap OEM components. If I were you I would replace it with a JLAudio unit or equivalent. The stock one is terrible.

Or if you have to have it you could just keep an eye out for a stock unit that someone is selling when they replace it.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check on ebay. They come up every so often. If you want one know, call Paul Scharf for one.

Going stock is a good idea for the long run.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going stock is a good idea for the long run.

How do you figure? Is it better for your ears because it's not loud enough? :D Actually it's worse for your ears because it can't reproduce all the frequencies at a flat response curve...

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Better on the pocket book. That's it. The sound isn't what I was talking about.

Long term, stock cars alway HOLD their value better is all I ment. Not that the stock radio is that big of a deal. It can alway be put back in if you have all the parts.

I'm still looking for some pieces for a stock 1992 system. 15 years ago it wasn't a big deal to replace a radio, now I got try and put it back right. :curse:

gotV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a stock amp out of my 00 rt, as i replaced with jl 300/4. if my stock amp interests you contact me.

ryan
850-445-2481

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wish someone would clearly document a stereo install, the whole things seems like magic at this point. I've done stereos before, but the stock systems on these cars are very different.

Zzapper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just took my amp out of my 2000 gts and replaced it with a custom install, if you are interested in it let me know because i will not be needing it again.:laugh:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When it comes to audio systems I personally don't believe it's worth anything in the long run. If I came across a mint classic but lacked a radio or had an aftermarket system I wouldn't think twice about getting it. Unless you plan on competing in some Concours events it's a non-issue.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wish someone would clearly document a stereo install, the whole things seems like magic at this point. I've done stereos before, but the stock systems on these cars are very different.

Dude, these systems are no different than any other OE system. They're a standard single DIN size and lots of aftermarket units will fit. The only "magic" comes in when you want to mix OE parts with aftermarket ones. And I don't know for the life of me why anyone would want to do that.

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys. My entire system has been changed out since before I bought it. It has a Pioneer Premier head unit, Kenwood speakers, and a Clarion Amp. Talk about combinations! The least the guy could have done was keep everything uniform, but couldn't do that. As for the amp, its a decent size, so it sits on the floor next to where the stock amp was, not even bolted down because its positioned so awkwardly. I intend to fix that one way or another, and going back to stock was an option I was looking at.

Jason
Suffolk, VA

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jayson,

I'm going to be changing out my oe radio. Probably within a month. If you like I can make arrangements for you to get the old amp.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have an aftermarket head unit and you want to go back to the stock amp you'll have to do some wiring conversions. Be aware that the stock amp uses a DIN connector which is not an aftermarket standard.

I suggest that you just look for an alternative amp location or some way to mount it. I mounted mine behind the passenger seat.

OP
OP
J

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have an aftermarket head unit and you want to go back to the stock amp you'll have to do some wiring conversions. Be aware that the stock amp uses a DIN connector which is not an aftermarket standard.

I suggest that you just look for an alternative amp location or some way to mount it. I mounted mine behind the passenger seat.

Well that settles it then. Sounds like Alpine had a contract with Dodge to provide the system, and made the amp using a DIN plug. Screw that crap, I have no desire to convert that back to stock.

Thanks for all the input fellas!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most OE audio connections will use a DIN connector. It's just one connection for the assembly line to make not 10 or 12. Can you imagine how long it would take for the line workers to install the audio system if they used aftermarket connections? At UAW rates the audio system would cost like $10k!