stock shifter issues?

Bullsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did the Woodhouse kit on mine and it is night and day different. I had the same occasional problems and this has helped a ton! The kit is relatively inexpensive too...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As mentioned above replacing your transmission and engine mounts makes a huge difference on how the transmission shifts. You will find that the engine mounts are not an easy swap and that they will produce more engine vibration in the cockpit of the viper. By replacing just the transmission mount, an easy 1 hour job, you will benefit from a more precise shifting transmission and not increase the vibration felt in the car. The stock shifter is made out of stamped metal is is total junk. It still amazes me that they saved a few dollars putting in such a crappy shifter in a $95,000.00 Viper.

Please keep in mind that shifter height is very subjective and is determined by each driver. While a short shifter, like the one in Juli's car, may look good it is going to be much harder to shift and less precise than a shifter that is a little taller. Also a race shifter like the B & M is to precise for the street. The gates are so close that the normal driver has trouble going from ND-RD, etc. It is a great track shifter for a professional race car driver but not so good for street drivers. Different strokes for different folks.

We have found the the Hurst / Mopar shifter is the best of both worlds. We take these shifters apart and rework them so that they are silky smooth. Once done you can shift without using the clutch, not that I recommend doing this, but it can be done as i do it all the time. We sell these shifters in kit for that included your choice of whatever height MGW shift know you want so that you can tune your shifter to your own preference. On our web site you will find a chart showing these different shifter knobs and their heights. Please feel free to take a look.

http://www.members.aol.com/AtroRacingTeam/PRODUCTS/AtRoRacingsProductCatalog

COMPLETE PRODUCT LIST

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I still have my SVS shifter on a shelf ... it's been there exactly a year, I'm a putz. I got the MGW short handle and it's so good I haven't been motivated to install the shifter.

Damn you just reminded me, I have a MGW shifter in the box too! Sheesh this is getting ridiculous, I've had this stuff for about 2 months now! lol

When I a chance to take the car out, I'm so antsy that I just hit the road!