stolen wrecked and not insured...

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now on to another question about possible coverage.

If you do have another vehicle and maintain full coverage..... you could have up to 30 days after purchasing another vehicle to notify your agent of the new vehicle.

You'd have to pay the premium for the coverage... but it is possible.

Did you have full coverage on a vehicle previously? Providing this really happened.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are rough. really rough..

Anyways, you I would gather should be ok. I just bought my dad a viper and drove it off the lot at 10pm, so there was no way my insurance company was open. The General manager told me, I would be covered by my insurance compnay. I called them the next day, and sure enough, Amica insurance said they MATCH for 30 days the same amount of coverage you have on your most covered vechicle. So as long as you have really good coverage on any of your other cars, then this will be a non issue.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Jon

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyways, you I would gather should be ok. I just bought my dad a viper and drove it off the lot at 10pm, so there was no way my insurance company was open. The General manager told me, I would be covered by my insurance compnay. I called them the next day, and sure enough, Amica insurance said they MATCH for 30 days the same amount of coverage you have on your most covered vechicle. So as long as you have really good coverage on any of your other cars, then this will be a non issue.

I have a problem with this law. Not that I am defending insurance companies, but that really kind of screws them. Here's why...

Person 1: Has a car with full coverage. He buys a Viper and adds it immediately. His insurance premium increases because he added a Viper to his policy. He pays right away. He is now paying for two cars. He gets into an accident 20 days later. However, he has been paying for the previous 19 days (as he should).

Person 2: Has a car with full coverage. He buys a Viper, but doesn't add it to his policy. He wrecks the car 20 days later. So, for those previous 19 days, he has been paying the previous cheaper premium (based on his one car). Now, the insurance company has to pay for the damage to the Viper, which they didn't even know about. Meanwhile, they haven't made one cent on the extra insurance.

What a bunch of nonsense. Person 1 did what he was supposed to do. Person 2 didn't. Person 1 should be covered, Person 2 shouldn't.

Not to mention....aren't you required to have at least liability insurance on a car to register it? If you are driving a car, and get pulled over, and you don't have insurance, you get a ticket (or worse). Why should this scenario be any different?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree the car should been added to insurance before he ever picked it up. But, I honestly hope he is covered. I hate insurance companies and everytime the little guy wins (whether he should or not) I get this smile over my face.

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree the car should been added to insurance before he ever picked it up. But, I honestly hope he is covered. I hate insurance companies and everytime the little guy wins (whether he should or not) I get this smile over my face.

Everytime the little guy wins? Well, the way I see it, in my example above, Person 1 was paying the whole time and got screwed. Person 2 didn't pay anything, and was still covered. So basically, Person 1 ended up paying for 19 days because he was honest. Person 2, the lazy one, didn't pay, but still got covered. You want to talk about the little guy...Person 1 is the little guy. Person 1 is getting screwed by doing the right thing.

96GTS232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you carry full coverage,i can't see why your not covered. i always notified my insurance co.(state farm) when thinking of purchasing a vehicle and they stated: don't worry,your covered,just call with info on first business day following purchase. there is a grace period;don't know if you passed your insurance co.'s time limit.

Jeff-00-ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insurance is a racket. Screw them. I had been with Nationwide for 15 years with no claims. Had Porsches, Vipers, Landcruisers, Etc. Paid tons of money to them. After 15 years I finally had to make a claim and I only claimed the other car and paid the damage for my own vehicle. They immediately moved me to their "Mutual" insurance company which is their "crappy drivers" stuff. No tickets, nothing. I immediately removed all 6 vehicles from full coverage and placed everthing on minimum by law liability. So they just screwed themselves with that move. I could have bought another car with the premiums I have paid over the last 15 or 20 years. Never again. If you are a crappy driver then you need insurance. I'll take my chances with liability only from now on.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Everytime the little guy wins? Well, the way I see it, in my example above, Person 1 was paying the whole time and got screwed. Person 2 didn't pay anything, and was still covered. So basically, Person 1 ended up paying for 19 days because he was honest. Person 2, the lazy one, didn't pay, but still got covered. You want to talk about the little guy...Person 1 is the little guy. Person 1 is getting screwed by doing the right thing.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but just want to point out person #2 has to pay back the 19 dadys retroactively also, so they pay the same. He's gambling he'll get away without paying the first 30 days...but that's all insurance is, a gamble. Person #1 doesn't get "screwed" any way I see it. Neither does person #2. However, the insurance company does, by person #2. I agree with you there. A day or two grace period would be legit, but thirty days is crapola.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Insurance is a racket. Screw them." Well said. Insurance may be a necessary evil, but they screw so many people, I hope they all rot. We pay so much in premiums that we could buy a new car (as Jeff stated above) and then when we do need them, they either deny the claim or pay it and then jack rates up again to cover what they paid out. Yeah, go rot somewhere....

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but just want to point out person #2 has to pay back the 19 dadys retroactively also, so they pay the same. He's gambling he'll get away without paying the first 30 days...but that's all insurance is, a gamble. Person #1 doesn't get "screwed" any way I see it. Neither does person #2. However, the insurance company does, by person #2. I agree with you there. A day or two grace period would be legit, but thirty days is crapola.

Why should Person 2 have to back pay? He can just say some crap like he didn't drive it, and it was in the garage. Person 2 is full of crap anyway, so why not lie too?

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Why should Person 2 have to back pay? He can just say some crap like he didn't drive it, and it was in the garage. Person 2 is full of crap anyway, so why not lie too?

If you file a claim on day 20, they're gonna make you pay from the date you bought it or they won't cover it. I suppose you could never carry insurance, and if you have an accident, always say you bought it the day before, but I bet they are gonna wanna see proof.

SRTRICKY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a problem with this law. Not that I am defending insurance companies, but that really kind of screws them. Here's why...

Person 1: Has a car with full coverage. He buys a Viper and adds it immediately. His insurance premium increases because he added a Viper to his policy. He pays right away. He is now paying for two cars. He gets into an accident 20 days later. However, he has been paying for the previous 19 days (as he should).

Person 2: Has a car with full coverage. He buys a Viper, but doesn't add it to his policy. He wrecks the car 20 days later. So, for those previous 19 days, he has been paying the previous cheaper premium (based on his one car). Now, the insurance company has to pay for the damage to the Viper, which they didn't even know about. Meanwhile, they haven't made one cent on the extra insurance.

What a bunch of nonsense. Person 1 did what he was supposed to do. Person 2 didn't. Person 1 should be covered, Person 2 shouldn't.

Not to mention....aren't you required to have at least liability insurance on a car to register it? If you are driving a car, and get pulled over, and you don't have insurance, you get a ticket (or worse). Why should this scenario be any different?

EXACTLY WHAT I WAS THINKING :confused:

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mark,
You should be covered, even though you didn't call to put it on your policy. I know my insurance company gives a 30 day grace period to get it registered. I think it's a federal, but not too sure.

Vehicle will covered for 30 days only if an application for title (if you purchased the car from a dealership) has been submitted, you have submitted an application for title to the DMV (if purchased from a private owner), an your existing policy includes comp and collision.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fortner07...helloooo? Anyone notice there's been no response to all the facts, ideas and suggestions offered? He must be on the phone complaining he will always be an 'enthusiast' in the VCA if someone doesn't pay up!

We'd still like to know details: Did you leave the keys in it? Park it in a bad 'hood? Crash it yourself and THEN remember you forgot to insure it?

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Insurance is a racket. Screw them. I had been with Nationwide for 15 years with no claims. Had Porsches, Vipers, Landcruisers, Etc. Paid tons of money to them. After 15 years I finally had to make a claim and I only claimed the other car and paid the damage for my own vehicle. They immediately moved me to their "Mutual" insurance company which is their "crappy drivers" stuff. No tickets, nothing. I immediately removed all 6 vehicles from full coverage and placed everthing on minimum by law liability. So they just screwed themselves with that move. I could have bought another car with the premiums I have paid over the last 15 or 20 years. Never again. If you are a crappy driver then you need insurance. I'll take my chances with liability only from now on.

I would be more inclined to think you screwed yourself with that move. Carrying the minimum liability may have saved you some money and taken it out of the premium Nationwide is receiving from you, but it is also opening a huge door for personal litigation if you are in an accident and Nationwide gives up after your low coverage is reached during a lawsuit. Better bet would be to completely cancel your policy with Nationwide, removing all monies from them, and reopen with appropriate coverage somewhere else.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< We'd still like to know details: Did you leave the keys in it? Park it in a bad 'hood? Crash it yourself and THEN remember you forgot to insure it? >>

where did he go? i was wondering the same things? no responses since his original post.

it is now tuesday - what did the ins co say?

You must be registered for see images

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The way I see it, if youre insured for 30 days, "person 1" is just ********** because he didnt know the law and started paying right off that bat.

Now for me, I always call my insurance co(Allstate) before i ever even go to look at a car i THINK i might buy, doesnt cost you anything to call your insurance co and let them so JUST IN CASE. Besides the fact if you get pulled over its easier to hand the cop an insurance card for the car even if you havent had time to register it yet(legal in some states)

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way I see it, if youre insured for 30 days, "person 1" is just ********** because he didnt know the law and started paying right off that bat.

BS.

Person 1 has been driving an INSURED vehicle. Person 1 correctly registered the car with his insurance company and obtained the necessary coverage. Person 2, on the other hand, has been driving an uninsured vehicle.

If Person 1 didn't know the law, why would anyone register their car with the insurance company right away? Everyone would wait 29 days, and then do it. And that's just completely ridiculous.

All I know is two weeks ago when I bought my Range Rover, I had it added to my policy before I took possession of it. And that is the correct and responsible thing to do.